Wanna and Gonna

Are schools now teaching these deplorable forms of want to and going to? I see it all the time in Thai use of English. How many English speakers use these forms in written English? Maybe in spoken occasionally, but not as a rule.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Are schools now teaching these deplorable forms of want to and going to? I see it all the time in Thai use of English. How many English speakers use these forms in written English? Maybe in spoken occasionally, but not as a rule.

I want to know what you are talking about and are you going to fix it.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I often see "have went" instead of "have gone" in written English as well hear it in spoken English. To me, this seems to be a recent development. I wonder where it came from.

It's incorrect. Sometimes it's lack of knowledge. Sometimes regional.

I remember a colleague of mine from Barnsley saying " Them's yours, them is" when referring to someone's belongings. He didn't know what he'd said incorrectly when I questioned him. Regional?

I've had colleagues from London and suburbs there of saying things like " I didn't do nothing" or " I done it yesterday". Regional?

Then, of course, there is USA English which lacks present perfect tense and adverbs.

"I didn't go there yet". " Did you have lunch yet?". "You are doing real good." Clearly regional.

With regards to "gonna" and "wanna", I feel it's more to do with laziness in speech. " I'm going to" and "I don't want to" being contractions. Important to teach listening skills to pick this up but shouldn't be taught in writing.

16 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

It's incorrect. Sometimes it's lack of knowledge. Sometimes regional.

I remember a colleague of mine from Barnsley saying " Them's yours, them is" when referring to someone's belongings. He didn't know what he'd said incorrectly when I questioned him. Regional?

I've had colleagues from London and suburbs there of saying things like " I didn't do nothing" or " I done it yesterday". Regional?

Then, of course, there is USA English which lacks present perfect tense and adverbs.

"I didn't go there yet". " Did you have lunch yet?". "You are doing real good." Clearly regional.

With regards to "gonna" and "wanna", I feel it's more to do with laziness in speech. " I'm going to" and "I don't want to" being contractions. Important to teach listening skills to pick this up but shouldn't be taught in writing.

I'm aware that there are regional usages and informal speech which don't conform to generally accepted norms. But I've seen and heard "have went" in enough instances, including in situations in which I would expect the speaker to use more formal speech, that its use appears to have become quite widespread. I am not a grammar Nazi, but this one tests my patience.

7 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I'm aware that there are regional usages and informal speech which don't conform to generally accepted norms. But I've seen and heard "have went" in enough instances, including in situations in which I would expect the speaker to use more formal speech, that its use appears to have become quite widespread. I am not a grammar Nazi, but this one tests my patience.

I commented as I have never heard or seen it used, other than in error.

I've already mentioned the lack of present perfect tense in American English. Is "have went" an Americanism?

Edited by youreavinalaff

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I commented as I have never heard or seen it used, other than in error.

I've already mentioned the lack of present perfect tense in American English. Is "have went" an Americanism?

So far, I've only encountered its use by speakers of American English.

It is a regional usage if the US is considered a region, but I don't think it reflects a regional usage within the US. I think it is often a marker of informal versus formal speech, or educational attainment/socio-economic status when used in a more formal setting. Same with "I didn't go there yet".

11 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Are you joking? I ask as, should have, could have, would be correct.

That's what I meant. Sorry I should OF made it clearer   5555   Hahah

Edited by KannikaP

11 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I think I just  Wanna Gonna off to another thread!

Can you imagine Ringo or Mick singing 'I want to be your man'

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

Grrrr, yes they bug the living hell out of me. Almost as bad as somethink, which is mostly spoken rather than written.

Nah, dahn Landon it's samfink!   Down there 'th' does not exist, it is usually substituted with V.