Accidentally dipped a few thousand below 800,000 but returned quickly???

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

I always wondered what happens ir someone was using the income methode for years ago and then wants to move to a place like Hua Him. What, they can't live there? 

I’ve used the income method in Hua Hin for more than a decade, apart from the reams of paperwork, it’s never been a problem.

That said the fact that the OP has transferred 65k for a few months may not resolve their issue, I’m led to believe that when transitioning from the deposit to income methods the income has to be for twelve consecutive months.

I suspect that an agent splitting their fee with a corrupt IO may well be the best way forward for the OP.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

That said the fact that the OP has transferred 65k for a few months may not resolve their issue, I’m led to believe that when transitioning from the deposit to income methods the income has to be for twelve consecutive months.

The few 65k transfers will not assist him. 

He would require 12 month of transfers. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Part/most of that fee will end up in the immigration officers pension fund

How sad that corruption in Thailand is so well known and yet nothing has, or will, ever be done about it. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Correct.

The bank will provide one bank letter listing the 2 accounts if both accounts with same bank.

Or two letters if different banks.

100b each letter

He would need to provide bank records either bank book pages photocopies or bank statements depending on what Hua Hin requires.

OP, I suggest that immigration will not make exception for the accidentally dip.

SCB charges 200.

Amazing people are bored and try something exciting, as not having the demanded amount of money on bank prior to extension.

More excitement, get paper from bank, copy on computer and edit (delete) if it shows and then print again.

As long there is no written signature on it. Or as said: agent. Or beg, or pay officer. All very exciting.

If your done with excitement, maybe have 2 bank accounts and then dont ever use the 800 kBaht account. Do a 5000 extra in case bank decides to have some costs and then lower it .

21 hours ago, jnak said:

Hello, looking for some advice, maybe some thinking outside the box. 

My husband has been on a retirement visa extension for several years now, and I on a dependent. 800,000 in the bank method. We are about a month from renewing, and he accidentally dipped below the amount by about 9k. It was a Saturday, and we almost immediately (within half a hour) transferred money back into the account. But I’m sure this will show up when we get the bank book updated. 

It happened to me with my extension based on marriage 

How many day is he short of the two months?

I was short a week. I had a conversation with the Supervisor and she suggested that I overstay a week and come back next week when the funds are seasoned appropriately and apply then.

I said Y don't want to get in any trouble, she said  "don't worry I am the one who reports the overstays, There will be no trouble".

So I came back a few days later, paid a small overstay fine, and had no issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

It happened to me with my extension based on marriage 

How many day is he short of the two months?

I was short a week. I had a conversation with the Supervisor and she suggested that I overstay a week and come back next week when the funds are seasoned appropriately and apply then.

I said Y don't want to get in any trouble, she said  "don't worry I am the one who reports the overstays, There will be no trouble".

So I came back a few days later, paid a small overstay fine, and had no issues.

Not sure but based on what he wrote he would need to do a very long overstay so likely not an option.

You're correct that that an agreed on overstay with immigration has been reported as a solution in the past.

But I assume there's a limit on how long an overstay.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not sure but based on what he wrote he would need to do a very long overstay so likely not an option.

You're correct that that an agreed on overstay with immigration has been reported as a solution in the past.

But I assume there's a limit on how long an overstay.

I agree, but it does not hurt exploring it. Perhaps the IO would be reasonable or maybe even have a better solution. 

I am fortunate to live in an area (KKC) where we have a very professional and helpful immigration office , but I understand that this is not the case everywhere. 

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you topped up the same day then it never went below 800k for the day.

If they deem it an issue, ask them what you can do, Jomtien you don't actually need an agent you can pay direct, but they will often direct you to an agent instead

It doesn't matter if its 1 hour or 1 day. 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. He does have another bank account but that was the problem…he normally uses that one but had an unexpected larger amount of money he needed to pay and didn’t have enough in the normal one…thus used the retirement one. Being a common sense reasonable person,  he didn't think it should be a problem. And it shouldn’t, but that’s already been discussed at length here. 

The overstay would end up being about 2.5 or 3 weeks. Probably not possible to overstay that long right?

May have to just suck it up and meet with an agent to figure out our options. 

It wouldn’t be that big of a deal if he was denied and we had to start all over again, except I (wife) and child  have happily been on a dependent non o for these years, and I’ve been hearing rumors that they are just not approving those anymore. So that’s my biggest worry. 

59 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I agree, but it does not hurt exploring it. Perhaps the IO would be reasonable or maybe even have a better solution. 

I am fortunate to live in an area (KKC) where we have a very professional and helpful immigration office , but I understand that this is not the case everywhere. 

Well of course there is a per day fine for overstay but worth paying considering the alternative.

I agree if going in and begging as it put it before, the only hope is to address the elephant in the room from the get go. 

Don't wait for the fault to be discovered. It will be!

Come in well dressed and as non-aggressive, non-demanding, humble and polite as can possibly be. You know who is the boss and it's not you!

I would get right to it, say this accident happened, it was one day and fixed that day, but understand that that wasn't OK as far as the 800K rule. 

So as this did happen, officer, is there anything I can do now to still get my extension?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, jnak said:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. He does have another bank account but that was the problem…he normally uses that one but had an unexpected larger amount of money he needed to pay and didn’t have enough in the normal one…thus used the retirement one. Being a common sense reasonable person,  he didn't think it should be a problem. And it shouldn’t, but that’s already been discussed at length here. 

The overstay would end up being about 2.5 or 3 weeks. Probably not possible to overstay that long right?

May have to just suck it up and meet with an agent to figure out our options. 

It wouldn’t be that big of a deal if he was denied and we had to start all over again, except I (wife) and child  have happily been on a dependent non o for these years, and I’ve been hearing rumors that they are just not approving those anymore. So that’s my biggest worry. 

Hope lives!

Why not use the other bank account?!?

As said immigration WILL accept showing money in multiple accounts.

For example account one went under but another account has at least as much as the under amount for the time account one went under.

This is not a big stretch for immigation. There is nothing in the law about it needing to be one account.

If not that, 2 or 3 weeks might be possible for an agreed upon overstay.

Things are really looking up for your situation.

My current suggestion.

Go in with bank letters for BOTH accounts.

Have updated full year records in bank book for BOTH accounts.

Some offices want full printed out statements on top of the bank books.

As said before, composite transactions in bank books are not accepted.

If you want to super proactive you could get the full statements for both accounts on top of the bank books.

Edited by Jingthing

Tell them he inadvertently withdrew from the wrong account, immediately realised the mistake and redeposited within hours.
The bank book should confirm the withdrawal and deposit same day. They may be forgiving.

The lesson to be learnt is to open a Fixed term account to deposit the 800K. No online transactions, no ATM card and a better interest rate, and use the standard savings account for expenses.

6 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Tell them he inadvertently withdrew from the wrong account, immediately realised the mistake and redeposited within hours.
The bank book should confirm the withdrawal and deposit same day. They may be forgiving.

The lesson to be learnt is to open a Fixed term account to deposit the 800K. No online transactions, no ATM card and a better interest rate, and use the standard savings account for expenses.

As it sounds like he has another account there is NO NEED to ask for lenience.

Applying using multiple accounts is ALLOWED. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As it sounds like he has another account there is NO NEED to ask for lenience.

That would depend on the type of account and the available funds.

From what the OP stated, they usually use a separate account, but insufficient funds led to the withdrawal from the other account.

3 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

That would depend on the type of account and the available funds.

From what the OP stated, they usually use a separate account, but insufficient funds led to the withdrawal from the other account.

It was one day!

If account one was under 10,000 baht and account two was at least 10,000 baht for the one day, that would do it.

If not, then ask for the overstay deal. 

15 hours ago, jnak said:

Thanks so much for all the comments. 

it’s in Hua Hin immigration.   

What about the fact that we have also been bringing in 65k baht per month for several months, including this month? Could that qualify for the “combo bank sum and income” method?

No, you will have to pay a fee and you can do it right in the office. You don't have to use an outside agent, nearly all offices are complicit now, they are franchisees much like the RTP. You have but to ask for help. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That is referred to as fraud.

Also illegal. 

Also bribing an officer is illegal with or without an agent. As is brought up by several AN members.

Or leaving out a page. Yes, mine is as wel not proper.

And sometimes officers come up with a brilliant idea as with sirineou.

As long as there are possibilities, yet illegal, then what? Technically strict, they should pack up their things and it is finished.

Im wondering what the UK man did some time ago when he found out ALL of the demanded  money was gone.

His wife took it for some bills?! I believed he was married with her for 30 years, but "Ooops darling, I used your visa money"

Still a riddle as the account should be on his name only. Incredible, or did she had enough of him?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hockeybik said:

From reading the replies here, it seems immigration just uses these unfortunate but honest mistakes to take advantage of foreigners and pocket a little "bonus“. 

The problem is when someone looks for a mistake that closely a mistake can always be found.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

A bank account with THB 800'000 needs to be having this balance. Had a friend (who subsequently moved away due to the complete absence of logical thinking) who had, for years, such a retirement visa. 
One year, he had exactly the THB 800K on the bank; then the bank debited THB 200 for the yearly ATM-card fee which resulted in THB 799'800. He noticed this and covered with four days later. 

Upon application for extension there was the "Njiet" and, despite explaining with papers of the bank and the booking confirmation by the bank that the THB 200 were ATM-card fee, the officer said no. My friend lost the plot, left, sold condo and car and moved to Sri Lanka. From what he tells me, the common sense seems to exist there; here they lost someone, who spent more than a million - brought in from overseas - per year. Go figure ......... 

At least he'll escape the Thai income tax

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

A bank account with THB 800'000 needs to be having this balance. Had a friend (who subsequently moved away due to the complete absence of logical thinking) who had, for years, such a retirement visa. 
One year, he had exactly the THB 800K on the bank; then the bank debited THB 200 for the yearly ATM-card fee which resulted in THB 799'800. He noticed this and covered with four days later. 

Upon application for extension there was the "Njiet" and, despite explaining with papers of the bank and the booking confirmation by the bank that the THB 200 were ATM-card fee, the officer said no. My friend lost the plot, left, sold condo and car and moved to Sri Lanka. From what he tells me, the common sense seems to exist there; here they lost someone, who spent more than a million - brought in from overseas - per year. Go figure ......... 

Yes, clearly being so totally inflexible is super charged nutty but our place as mere f-rangs on one year leashes is not to question the logic in that. If we want to stay -- learn the rules, follow the rules, and shut your piehole!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jnak said:

Thanks. Good advice Gsxrnz.  They do normally look at the bank book as well don't they? Im quite sure it will show on that.

Your best bet would be to go talk to an Immigration officer, they are not all unreasonable, since you got it back in the same day you might be ok. If worse comes to worse and they will not do it as long as you currently have 800,000 in the bank you could do a border run if you do not have a reentry permit, get a 30 day visa exempt entry and start the process over at Immigration, you would get  90 day I which you could extend for one year.

12 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Amazing people are bored and try something exciting, as not having the demanded amount of money on bank prior to extension.

More excitement, get paper from bank, copy on computer and edit (delete) if it shows and then print again.

As long there is no written signature on it. Or as said: agent. Or beg, or pay officer. All very exciting.

If your done with excitement, maybe have 2 bank accounts and then dont ever use the 800 kBaht account. Do a 5000 extra in case bank decides to have some costs and then lower it .

I used to stay in a guest house slash hotel that had mostly europeans living there. That is exactly what they did. In their case their embassy issued a letter showing the pension. They had it down. Just changed the amount and printed out a copy. Never knew them to have any problems what so ever. I was trying to remember if any used a bank or not, but I don't recall.

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hope lives!

Why not use the other bank account?!?

As said immigration WILL accept showing money in multiple accounts.

For example account one went under but another account has at least as much as the under amount for the time account one went under.

This is not a big stretch for immigation. There is nothing in the law about it needing to be one account.

If not that, 2 or 3 weeks might be possible for an agreed upon overstay.

Things are really looking up for your situation.

My current suggestion.

Go in with bank letters for BOTH accounts.

Have updated full year records in bank book for BOTH accounts.

Some offices want full printed out statements on top of the bank books.

As said before, composite transactions in bank books are not accepted.

If you want to super proactive you could get the full statements for both accounts on top of the bank books.

Yes but unfortunately the other account did not have the amount needed at the exact same time. So if we got a statement from the other bank, together with the 800k bank, it still would not show enough money at the same time.  (Saturday afternoon for 20 minutes...) So wouldn't do any good I don't think.  We also have a shared account of course that has enough money, but I don't think they will accept that either because my name is on it.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

I used to stay in a guest house slash hotel that had mostly europeans living there. That is exactly what they did. In their case their embassy issued a letter showing the pension. They had it down. Just changed the amount and printed out a copy. Never knew them to have any problems what so ever. I was trying to remember if any used a bank or not, but I don't recall.

An illegal practice that used to work at an unspecified time in the past is highly unlikely to work today.

I suggest that anybody who is desperate to get a criminal record in Thailand should try other ways, not anything to do with interactions with immigration offices.

3 minutes ago, Maestro said:

An illegal practice that used to work at an unspecified time in the past is highly unlikely to work today.

I suggest that anybody who is desperate to get a criminal record in Thailand should try other ways, not anything to do with interactions with immigration offices.

Agreed.  Just to be clear, we are certainly not interested in doing anything illegal. I appreciate everyones feedback, it is valuable.  We will plan to talk to both an agent and immigration as soon as possible and be completely honest with them.  I think that's better than trying to hide it and risk having to leave quickly. And if they ask for a "fee" to fix things, that's on them.  We won't be bribing them. And my conscience will be clean. :)

I will report back what happens but the lesson learned is always the same in Thailand no matter the situation...you have to always dot all your i's and cross all your t's.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes but unfortunately the other account did not have the amount needed at the exact same time. So if we got a statement from the other bank, together with the 800k bank, it still would not show enough money at the same time.  (Saturday afternoon for 20 minutes...) So wouldn't do any good I don't think.  We also have a shared account of course that has enough money, but I don't think they will accept that either because my name is on it.

Oh. OK. But an overstay agreement might be possible.