Accidentally dipped a few thousand below 800,000 but returned quickly???

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

To be clear in no way imaginable am I a promoter of using agents, but I find fear mongering despicable as well. 

Not a case of fearmongering, it's a case of folk being aware that whilst agents may resolve one problem, they can also create further problems.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

No, there is another account.

Read the quoted post again.
Immigration, do not accept joint account holders, which the OP is aware of, even if you're not.

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Not a case of fearmongering, it's a case of folk being aware that whilst agents may resolve one problem, they can also create further problems.

Not going to argue with that per se, but people are not getting arrested if legit stamps.

I recall numerous reports of people getting legit stamps but not from their local office, which means future address reporting got messed  up. 

15 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Immigration, do not accept joint account holders, which the OP is aware of, even if you're not.

I addressed my comment to DrJack. It was really a question about whether the account could be used. I know that joint accounts could be used years ago.

The op said that she did not think it would be accepted, which is not the same as saying that she knew it wouldn't.

Edit to add: It does appear that joint accounts can be used, but immigration will only recognize half the funds.

https://www.legal.co.th/resources/visa-immigration-law/thailand-immigration-law/joint-bank-accounts-and-thai-retirement-visa-extension/

Edited by chickenslegs

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not going to argue with that per se, but people are not getting arrested if legit stamps.

Well I know differently, and certainly know one man in the UK with a wife in Thailand who had a legitimate extension stamp (in fact 3 stamps) all of which were revoked because the legitimate stamps were obtained fraudulently. He may beg to differ with your opinion, the judge certainly did.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I recall numerous reports of people getting legit stamps but not from their local office, which means future address reporting got messed  up. 

Not forgetting applying for a residence certificate to purchase a vehicle, apply for a driving licence, or even a yellow Tabien Baan.
However, that can quickly be overcome by filing a new TM30 at your local IO.
Maybe an agent could do all of the above on your behalf, with the right connections and fees.

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

Apologies, I was under the impression it was an open forum for all members to reply.

Nice way to change the tone of my post by omitting the main point. Also, did you read my reply that indicates that joint accounts can be used?

I haven't read all the pages. I will only say that a few years ago I accidentally let my account I usually use drop below the 800k mark in THAT account.  All I had to do was show I had another account at the same time with enough deposited to make up the difference. A statement and bank letter was needed for both accounts but it didn't matter that the full amount was not in the same account.

On 1/7/2024 at 10:07 PM, jnak said:

Hello, looking for some advice, maybe some thinking outside the box. 

My husband has been on a retirement visa extension for several years now, and I on a dependent. 800,000 in the bank method. We are about a month from renewing, and he accidentally dipped below the amount by about 9k. It was a Saturday, and we almost immediately (within half a hour) transferred money back into the account. But I’m sure this will show up when we get the bank book updated. 

Is there a chance immigration will be reasonable at all?

If not, is there a way around the bank book not showing it? For example, it seems that at some point when you have a ton of transactions and you haven’t updated your book, it won’t take the time to update each one, just give the latest one. 

Any other ideas? Or do we need to start packing??!

Maybe an irrelevant side note, but we have started the income of 65k/mo a few months ago because we were thinking of switching over to that next year. 

any help much appreciated! 

You can drop the 800k down to 400k after 3 months, and then top it back up 2 months before re-newal.

Does this apply to you?

14 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Nice way to change the tone of my post by omitting the main point. Also, did you read my reply that indicates that joint accounts can be used?

You edited your post after I quoted it.

Yes, I read the 'edit' and don't know of any IO that accepts joint accounts.
There is usually one applicant, and the account name must be solely in the name of the applicant.

However, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of also providing joint account details in the OP's case, as they made a genuine mistake.
A sympathetic IO may let it slide.
Honesty, always the best policy.

In relation to this thread, I recall a chap at my IO being refused an extension of stay based on retirement due to providing evidence of 796K funds in a Thai bank.
He recently moved into the Province and claimed his previous IO approved his extension because the 796K was more than the 65K income method (780K).

My IO still flatly refused,

18 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I haven't read all the pages. I will only say that a few years ago I accidentally let my account I usually use drop below the 800k mark in THAT account.  All I had to do was show I had another account at the same time with enough deposited to make up the difference. A statement and bank letter was needed for both accounts but it didn't matter that the full amount was not in the same account.

Yes true but this guy doesn't have that option covered already. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Well I know differently, and certainly know one man in the UK with a wife in Thailand who had a legitimate extension stamp (in fact 3 stamps) all of which were revoked because the legitimate stamps were obtained fraudulently. He may beg to differ with your opinion, the judge certainly did.

Not forgetting applying for a residence certificate to purchase a vehicle, apply for a driving licence, or even a yellow Tabien Baan.
However, that can quickly be overcome by filing a new TM30 at your local IO.
Maybe an agent could do all of the above on your behalf, with the right connections and fees.

There's obviously more to that story as you already revealed with the clue about a messy divorce.

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

BS

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There's obviously more to that story as you already revealed with the clue about a messy divorce.

Please quote where I stated anything about a divorce, messy or otherwise.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 9:40 PM, sirineou said:
On 1/8/2024 at 9:32 PM, Jingthing said:

Not sure but based on what he wrote he would need to do a very long overstay so likely not an option.

You're correct that that an agreed on overstay with immigration has been reported as a solution in the past.

But I assume there's a limit on how long an overstay.

I agree, but it does not hurt exploring it. Perhaps the IO would be reasonable or maybe even have a better solution. 

I am fortunate to live in an area (KKC) where we have a very professional and helpful immigration office , but I understand that this is not the case everywhere. 

My concern would be that once you've laid your cards on the table like that, it may cause problems to change your story later.

Or is that thinking wrong?  Do they record unsuccessful attempts to extend?

1 minute ago, impulse said:

My concern would be that once you've laid your cards on the table like that, it may cause problems to change your story later.

You might be right but What else can you do? 

IMO three choices, There might be others I dont know. 

Lay your cards on the table and hope the IO is reasonable. I have only done extensions in khon kaen and I find them very reasonable, but I dont know about other locations, I guess you might have to consider past IO performance in your area, . 

Pay an agent.

Or fly out of the country and start new. 

My down the street neighbor who also had a similar issue, did just that. Went to Ventien , had a nice vocation a couple of days, came back and started over.

He was doing the income option, and had his monthly check automatically deposited. As he explained to me , because of the length of the month, one month he got two checks, His check at the beginning of the month, and at the end of the month he also got the next month's check. 

It should have been easy to see that he had 12 checks that year m but his IO did not want to hear it. 

So you might be right.

TIT:smile:

12 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Why was it when people were using agents for dodgy visas like volunteering visas and doing fake visa runs where the foreigner stays in Thailand but the agent takes the passport to get stamped with dodgy stamps, why was it always the foreigner gets in trouble and has issues down the line, not these agents?

You are misunderstanding my premise. I'm talking about using an immigration official as an agent so the work is done within the office and it's entirely on them. It's official, it's not done on the outside.

It's a completely different thing when you're paying off an immigration agent directly rather than an outside agent. They're all above the law, any and all laws. 

18 hours ago, Liquorice said:

~

Some (not all) Immigration Offices do accept joint bank-accounts, but when using such joint account for the 1-year extension of stay application, then the amount on the joint bank-account needs to be doubled (i.e. +1.600.000,- THB instead of 800.000,- THB for a retirement extension). So if the Imm Office would accept 'double' of the temporary dip on the Joint bank-account that would solve the problem.

Hence it might be worth for the OP when visiting his local Imm Office to discuss the problem of having accidentally dipped under the required amount and possible solutions to address it, that he brings the Pass-books of all his Thai bank-accounts, and also that joint-account one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, impulse said:

It's not a matter of right or wrong.

I assume you're talking about the risk of coming clean, asking for a solution (probably a planned overstay), then possibly being rejected, then going to an agent. So would such a rejection preclude using an agent? I don't know -- sounds possible certainly. Which might mean going to an agent first wouldn't be a horrible option either. 

On 1/10/2024 at 2:44 PM, chickenslegs said:

@DrJack54

The op has said they have a separate joint account. I seem to recall that joint accounts are accepted but immigration will only count half the balance.

I didn’t know they would consider half of our joint account. I will certainly bring that bankbook or statement with us. Thanks for this advice!

Was reading this morning in other forum, a guy stays in Thailand already 2 years and 3 months.

Even got back to his own country with a re entry permit.

AND he has NO 800 kBaht on a bankaccount at all! Paid in that time only 49000 Baht.

Also included with that was a Thai drivers license and a bank account with Bangkok bank.

All done with an agency. No, he didnt tell where and name. 

opening bank account with  Bangkok Bank  3.000 baht

pensionvisum 15 months (first 3 months and afterwards 12 months) 27.500 baht.

Drivers license 5500 baht

Extension visum 13500 baht.

And all without having 800 kBaht on bank !

20 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Was reading this morning in other forum, a guy stays in Thailand already 2 years and 3 months.

Even got back to his own country with a re entry permit

Don't understand point of your post

Use of an agent has been suggested already.

Everyone is aware of agent option and even cost.

The OP has funds covered apart from slip up that was quickly fixed.

Also to complicate things his wife piggybacks from his extension (retirement) 

I suggest the couple skedaddle of to immigration to clarify their options. 

20 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Even got back to his own country with a re entry permit

Don't understand point of your post

Use of an agent has been suggested already.

Everyone is aware of agent option and even cost.

The OP has funds covered apart from slip up that was quickly fixed.

Also to complicate things his wife piggybacks from his extension (retirement) 

I suggest the couple skedaddle of to immigration to clarify their options. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, we did talk to immigration who actually told us that one day going below the 800 isn't a bit deal, it will be overlooked! But I feel like I'll only believe that when I see it. :)

We will go in in a few weeks to renew, I will post back what happens.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, jnak said:

Just a quick update, we did talk to immigration who actually told us that one day going below the 800 isn't a bit deal, it will be overlooked! But I feel like I'll only believe that when I see it. :)

We will go in in a few weeks to renew, I will post back what happens.

That's very encouraging!

Based on the history of such reports, I am surprised.

I thought you would be forced into an overstay agreement. 

Which office again?

On the other hand, you're correct, a verbal statement doesn't mean so much as what actually happens when you go in there.

But still definitely encouraging.

Good luck.