Unusual cremation leaves woman’s skull intact in Thai temple

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Indeed, that is normal.

Obviously, the heat does not match up to the 1,000 degrees Celsius that we get at my crematorium in the UK.

Even then bone is left over and is ground to powder.

35 minutes ago, tandor said:

Excuse my frank explanation

No problem thank you.

I am pretty relaxed about death in Thailand. I have been to quite a number of funerals.

The hardest part was for my wife's family (from the UK) when they saw me collecting the 'ashes'.  They wanted some to take back to the UK but the request from them was 'no bones'.

I had to sit on the floor with a hammer pulverising the bones for them. (A friend recently told me that it is quicker using a dumbbell!)

Now taking the ashes back to the UK via a stop over with friends in Turkey is a whole new TV series.

(Clue - suspicious white powder in the suitcase.)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Indeed, that is normal.

Obviously, the heat does not match up to the 1,000 degrees Celsius that we get at my crematorium in the UK.

Personal experience?

Only in the cities do they have a crusher.

Up here they get the bones still intact in a white bag, in fact in one instance that I know of they got sent back as still not well done".

The crematorium here is very basic & fire is started by wood & kept going by alcohol being poured over the body until the body fat takes over. Obviously the older the body the better it burns.

Went to a friends  in Patong where he had been kept for 5 months due to dispute over cause of death (another story for another day)) they lit it up, whoosh, no more smoke after about 3 minutes.

They are not ashes anywhere in the world, they are ground up very small bone fragments, only called ashes for the tender 

western world

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just speculation but here they use refrigerated coffins for some of the corpses, which means that bodies are often frozen solid when cremated.

The head is mostly bone rather than tissue so it might take longer to burn than the rest of the body. Still seems rather fanciful though.

• Thumbs Up 1