Dizzy in the morning

Celsius

In resent weeks getting a lot of balance, lightheaded, feeling going to pass out...  have a BP meter at home so is 1st thing to check, normal is between 11:30 to 13:00  time get the problem, stopped taking BP meds, in the morning a month ago but still the same...  

get up between 6 - 7am   BP is around 135/75 +  yet around 11 am feel strange lightheaded is down to 95/58..

If BP is OK then 2nd check is Blood Sugar. appears to have the same effect if to low, appears to go to low sometimes  [On Insulin Diabetic many many years]

18 hours ago, Celsius said:

I started feeling lightheaded every morning for a week now. Suspiciously it started at the same time the pillution in Bangkok started getting much worse. I have been living in Bangkok and crappy air for 10 years now but never felt this bad. I have a feeling it is affecting my gut. At night my nose is completely stuffy to the point I fight for air. 

The air purifier is not helping much.

Should I be worried?

Many reasons for it. Pollution, blood pressure, blood sugar. The latter ones you can check by yourself. Start there.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

I passed out due to low blood glucose. I have since had a full blood count test (4 tubes). As all is normal my GP says I'm not diabetic. However, first thing most mornings I feel wobbly and a little nauseous. A cup of coffee with a spoon of sugar always sorts me out.

For me, I feel a little light headed in the morning. I few times I have gone to see the dentist or doctor and they have told me i had high blood pressure. But, it only stays high until I have eaten something. After I eat my pressure is normal and healthy. Usually, I feel fine when j have had my first cup of coffee. I think it is the sugar also that makes me feel better but I have also tested and am not diabetic at all. The coffee though is making my blood pressure high until I have eaten something. Perhaps you need a little sugar in morning or some food to stop the feeling. Now I am waking in the middle of the night and having a cup of coffee and then sleep through the night. I do not wake feeling lightheaded anymore in the morning. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Another member who consults AN readers instead of a doctor. Weird. I know some people are afraid of doctors, but I'd be more afraid of asking non-qualified people for medical advice.

If you suspect you have bladder cancer, I am very qualified to advise you, having had it myself. 18 years ago, with several recurrences.

No disrespect to doctors, however, someone who has actually done the hard yards can offer useful insights.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Des1 said:

Blood pressure can be an issue. I had a similar situation a few years ago. When I sat up on the bed in the morning I felt a bit dizzy and sometimes when I reached for something high up I felt off balance. I'm 67 now and the first thing the doctor mentioned was blood pressure, hypertension. I'm ok now and it all went away. My blood pressure is good, not overweight. Just suggesting in may not be bad weather.

A low grade infection in the inner ear could also cause dizziness. As others have suggested, getting yourself checked out is probably the best and safest course of action.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just my experience, but I started having dizziness after I turned 65. The doc has cut a lot of unnecessary meds from my routine and started me on one to treat Meunière disease.(Inner ear condition).  Some improvement, though not “ there” yet.

Low BP was a factor for a time, but back on the higher side again.

I have read it is one of the hardest conditions ( vertigo ) to diagnose.

PITA for sure!

The Meunière med seems to help some.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you are experiencing vertigo in the morning (room spinning), the most likely cause is low levels of vitamins, specifically B12, and D3, and low minerals, (specifically magnesium and zinc). It’s a quite common side effect of poor digestion, (low stomach acid and/or poor bile flow) resulting in too little absorption of nutrients from food. 
Research it for yourself on YouTube by searching for T C Hale’s videos on Bile, stomach acid and leaky gut.

In the mean time it Sounds like your immune system is struggling, hence the sinus problems due to pollutants in the air. So to fix the vertigo, Get some B12 liquid drops as they are absorbed under the tongue not the stomach as well as some magnesium glycinate and trace minerals including zinc, selenium and boron.  

Also get rid of any mold in your home, or move if it is too much

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ignis said:

Sometimes even often there are other people who have the same type of problem, so you can get a good idea how they over came it...

Problem everywhere not just Thailand, many Drs have there own ideas some not of the problem but there idea as to what meds you need to take....

eg: Many years ago went to see my Dr many times, his idea was maybe was my Diabetic Meds after about 5 visits, phone for another appointment but asked to see his wife also a Dr.. 1few days later had an operation .. [before PC's or Forums]

Here a few years ago had a problem after many visits to the Dr by then in a wheelchair, asked on here, one reply stood out and did a web search = my problem was the prescribed Med's which the Dr changed, so was a big thank you to a readers posted reply

Many conditions are difficult even for the best of Doctors to diagnose. There can be more than one contributing factor. 
Age appears to be one such in the “ dizzy” department. I was somewhat dismayed when my hospital started to send me to the geriatric department, but on reflection it is what it is.😜

Best of luck!

20 hours ago, NextG said:

Drink something before you go to sleep (I don’t mean alcohol) and immediately when you wake up. 

recomend drinking water just before going to bed and immediately upon waking, drink water again before getting out of bed is the general health suggestion

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Another member who consults AN readers instead of a doctor. Weird. I know some people are afraid of doctors, but I'd be more afraid of asking non-qualified people for medical advice.

Yes. Go see a doctor for vertigo and spend more time having my blood pressure taken.

Nope.

I do my blood tests every year, cameras, CT scans, X-rays as needed. I am not scared of doctors, but I want some idea what could it be before I go. It is not a medical emergency for now.

18 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

Just my experience, but I started having dizziness after I turned 65. The doc has cut a lot of unnecessary meds from my routine and started me on one to treat Meunière disease.(Inner ear condition).  Some improvement, though not “ there” yet.

Low BP was a factor for a time, but back on the higher side again.

I have read it is one of the hardest conditions ( vertigo ) to diagnose.

PITA for sure!

The Meunière med seems to help some.

Good luck!

I have similar issue to those you have described but more of loss of balance . I copied and pasted Meunière on Google and it came back as a fish dish . Have you checked your spelling . Thanks for sharing your experience . 

51 minutes ago, Iamloki said:

A low grade infection in the inner ear could also cause dizziness. As others have suggested, getting yourself checked out is probably the best and safest course of action.

I agree with that 100%.  But keep in mind that a complaint of "dizziness" can lead down a long and very expensive path in the medical ecosystem.

But I'd still go to the doc to rule out the obvious stuff, the stuff that's "going around" and the stuff that could kill you if left untreated.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Celsius said:

nope

Try an antihistamine and nasal spray. Should clear your sinuses.  Clean out or better yet avoid air-conditioning.  Check your house for mold. Get a good heart rate monitor.  I have a ring model that was very revealing about my sleep pattern.  I had sleep apnea and the ring wakes me up when O2 decreases.  Dropped 15 kilos and stopped drinking before bed and the problem was solved. I have hypertension and bradycardia and when squatting or standing quickly from laying down sometimes I need to equalize as my heart adjusts to the new position.  Dizziness is actually most attributable to ear related issues BUT blood supply could be the culprit as well.  Sometimes people feel lightheaded but use the word dizzy which are two different symptoms with different causes.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t dare offer advice. However some time ago I became dizzy ie suddenly my head would spin around and around if I moved quickly. I was concerned and read up on it. Turned out to be an inner ear problem and it went away. Vertigo. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

I was also experiencing dizziness (but not specifically in the morning; it occurred at various times). Turns out, I was anemic -- low hemoglobin (red blood cells) and iron deficiency. Other symptoms were chronic fatigue and shortness of breath. You mentioned that you are no longer running.

Like you, I have a hiatal hernia (for the past several years), and in searching for the cause of the anemia, the gastro doctor at Chiang Mai Ram did an endoscopy, which turned up that I also have a small stomach ulcer, likely the cause of the loss of red blood cells. I’ve been treated for all this, and now I’m much better. (My blood pressure has been normal throughout.)

I would recommend getting your blood tested for red blood cell count, hemoglobin, and iron deficiency (there are several related things that they test for), especially if you’re also fatigued and short of breath. Good luck!

I have been using 50 mg of Losartan for hypertension for 2 or 3 years . I have had a loss of balance for some time and got a doctors appointment ( in the UK ) . Doctor took a blood test and the results showed low hemoglobin levels . Doctor said I am anemic . Followed up with urine and poo tests which showed blood in my poo but I have never seen blood in my stools . Then had a colonoscopy and  endoscopy, which were both clear . I told the doctor that my mother had anemia in her old age and I may have the same because of genetics . My medication to build up my hemoglobin count are ferrous sulfate ( iron tablets ) . My initial H/G levels were 10.4 but last month were 11.6 . DR Google states that for a man it should be between 14 and 18 . Back  to Losartan , that appears to reduce H/G levels if used for a prolonged period . I will be speaking to my doctor and seeking an alternative to Losartan .

I also have reflux for which I take 20mg of omeprazole in the morning .

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, superal said:

I have similar issue to those you have described but more of loss of balance . I copied and pasted Meunière on Google and it came back as a fish dish . Have you checked your spelling . Thanks for sharing your experience . 

Maybe check  Ménière Disease  or Ménière Medication   you will get what your looking for. 

when I search on Google nothing comes up about Fish ??

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I do my blood tests every year, cameras, CT scans, X-rays as needed. I am not scared of doctors, but I want some idea what could it be before I go. It is not a medical emergency for now.

How's your aerobic fitness?

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There are people here better than the average Thai doctor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thesetat said:

For me, I feel a little light headed in the morning. I few times I have gone to see the dentist or doctor and they have told me i had high blood pressure. But, it only stays high until I have eaten something. After I eat my pressure is normal and healthy. Usually, I feel fine when j have had my first cup of coffee. I think it is the sugar also that makes me feel better but I have also tested and am not diabetic at all. The coffee though is making my blood pressure high until I have eaten something. Perhaps you need a little sugar in morning or some food to stop the feeling. Now I am waking in the middle of the night and having a cup of coffee and then sleep through the night. I do not wake feeling lightheaded anymore in the morning. 

Thanks for this! Mrs tells me I'm not allowed to drink coffee in the evenings because it will keep me awake! I purchased a blood pressure monitor and took readings several times a day for 7 days. No pattern emerged and the average was OK. GP said my passing out was probably due to dehydration, diet (possibly not eating enough), getting overheated etc. Nothing he could do or prescribe at that point because full count blood test was normal. 

It could be a combination of problems going on;

Dizziness; could be low blood sugar or blood pressure problems, get tested for both.

Cough from dusty dry air, due to this weather a few in our family have come down with cough/runny nose, wife went to the doc 2 days ago due to green nasal discharge/cough, they said she has acute sinusitis.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dirk Z said:

Dizziness is one of the least specific complaints. It can mean anything or nothing. If it persists and you worry, go see a doctor and avoid the experts here.

I do not think anyone is claiming to be an expert on this post , the exception being Sheryl . Members like to chat and exchange their experiences with folks who have had  similar medical conditions . 

Of course , getting an appointment with a decent Thai doctor ( if in Thailand ) is the answer and nobody on this forum is suggesting otherwise . 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, superal said:

decent Thai doctor

I'm fortunate in that my Mrs knew of a good E.N.T. doctor's clinic in our next larger town (11 km). No flannel or rip-off's. However, you nearly always have to make an appointment because his surgery is always heaving with patients. A good sign!

On 1/9/2024 at 1:09 PM, Celsius said:

I started feeling lightheaded every morning for a week now. Suspiciously it started at the same time the pillution in Bangkok started getting much worse. I have been living in Bangkok and crappy air for 10 years now but never felt this bad. I have a feeling it is affecting my gut. At night my nose is completely stuffy to the point I fight for air. 

The air purifier is not helping much.

Should I be worried?

Maybe its the pillution lol

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

There are people here better than the average Thai doctor.

In their own minds. Classic Dunning-Kruger Effect. Had one buzzard on here the other day, a computer user only, claiming to know more than IT experts. 

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2024 at 1:44 PM, Des1 said:

Blood pressure can be an issue. I had a similar situation a few years ago. When I sat up on the bed in the morning I felt a bit dizzy and sometimes when I reached for something high up I felt off balance. I'm 67 now and the first thing the doctor mentioned was blood pressure, hypertension. I'm ok now and it all went away. My blood pressure is good, not overweight. Just suggesting in may not be bad weather.

I started having a similar issue recently. I started checking my BP in the morning and it is critically high, even though I am on BP medicine. I immediately got an appointment with my cardiologist and will get it under control.

• Thanks 1