Identification at airport

8 minutes ago, treetops said:

If your phone has NFC capability you can read your passport chip and see exactly what it contains. As already mentioned, that's the info from the data page and a digital image of the photo.

The specification allows for additional biometric data like fingerprints and eye scan but these do not appear to be widely used (yet).  There is no reference to previous passport numbers stored on the chip, or any other data that you can't see by looking at the passport itself.

A definitive answer, thank you Mr Tops.

15 hours ago, LauChan said:

how are you identified at immigration at airport, more specifically Bangkok airport?...

1. The information in the two lines of machine-readable code at the bottom of the ID page of your passport.

2. The digital copy of your passport photo on the chip in your passport and the comparison of it with the photo taken at the immigration desk.

3. If the chip in your passport has an image of your fingerprints and if the passport issuer allows access to them by authorised agencies with the apposite equipment, the comparison of them with your fingerprints taken at the immigration desk.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

That is why I qualified my statement with 'in UK' to convince some people that they cannot be on a UK ePassport.

Do you handle your passport only with gloves on then? :cheesy:

16 hours ago, LauChan said:

Hi, how are you identified at immigration at airport, more specifically Bangkok airport? With passport number? I have read countless times that even if you have a new passport all your information is on the immigration system. When renewing passport your passport number change so how exactly are you identified?

Just something that's been puzzling me.

I would hope they identify me as a "man" when entering an airport or a land border crossing. I do tick the "Male" checkbox on the TM6 arrival card when entering by land. Hope they aren't identifying me as a female, ladyboy, or any of these pronouns that's going around these days.

8 hours ago, LauChan said:

Thank you all. Yes a bit concerned about history, but will be out of country just over 3 months when I enter again.

Why are you concerned about having an ED visa? Lots of people have had ED visas in the past, or was yours something dodgy to be concerned about?

7 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Why are you concerned about having an ED visa? Lots of people have had ED visas in the past, or was yours something dodgy to be concerned about?

No not dodgy, attended classes and all that, but just with history of stay in Thailand and now wanting to return visa exempt after 3 months out of the country I trust I will not have issues entering. 

7 minutes ago, LauChan said:

No not dodgy, attended classes and all that, but just with history of stay in Thailand and now wanting to return visa exempt after 3 months out of the country I trust I will not have issues entering. 

I don't see any issues with that

On 1/9/2024 at 12:57 PM, LauChan said:

Hi, how are you identified at immigration at airport, more specifically Bangkok airport? With passport number? I have read countless times that even if you have a new passport all your information is on the immigration system. When renewing passport your passport number change so how exactly are you identified?

Just something that's been puzzling me.

There's a special camera system built into the overhead that scans nero-electrical output of brain activity (or lack there of ^^) because everyone is unique, just like you.

The whole passport thing is just a clever ruse so you won't notice.

20 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

There's a special camera system built into the overhead that scans nero-electrical output of brain activity (or lack there of ^^) because everyone is unique, just like you.

The whole passport thing is just a clever ruse so you won't notice.

And the finger printer-print scanner is to compare the finger-prints taken off the beer bottles in gogo bars so that they know who all the mongers are....  Good guys in bad guys out...  Contributing to Thailands financially destitude female demographic is clearly considered 'good guys'... 

----

Basic info - Biometrics stored: 

Name / DOB / Nationality 

Some Passports also contain some 'facial biometrics' such as distance between eyes, nose, mouth ears (i.e. UK Passports). 

When entering Thailand for the first time, your Name, DOB, Nationality, Photo is data is taken from the Passport Biometric chip, the Immigration officer compares that with your actual face (and newly taken photo by the counter camera), Finger Prints are added to the Data Base. 

Any future entries are compared to this data. 

If entering on a different passport with different name and different nationality you may get away with it and not be matched as the finger print comparison software is too slow I believe and I'm not sure if the Thai systems use facial biometrics yet.

But, if entering on a different pasport of the same name, nationality, DOB etc then your new passport is very quickly linked to the old.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1