Identification at airport

12 hours ago, LauChan said:

Hi, how are you identified at immigration at airport, more specifically Bangkok airport? With passport number? I have read countless times that even if you have a new passport all your information is on the immigration system. When renewing passport your passport number change so how exactly are you identified?

Just something that's been puzzling me.

When I renewed my passport (US) I took the new passport, the old passport and the letter from the US Dept. of State (I think it was from State) to the IO. They put a stamp in the new passport and wrote the old passport number in the stamp along with some other data that allows them to link back to my original visa, entry date etc...

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What biometrics are on a UK passport? Mine was re-newed in 2018, no fingerprints, eye scan, nothing.

I know there is a chip with all the same details as on the first page. But is that all?

All the biographical details and a digitised image of the passport photo.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It's probably measuring other parameters of your face. My passport photo is without specs, but I do not have to take them off to go through eGates.

The Thai system is comparing the gate camera with the photo which they have taken and keep on file. But even so, there is no way the resolution from their camera, or on my Passport photo can reveal that finer detail.

They have facial recognition abilities in a lot of countries, but none taking iris scan into consideration.

So google lies. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So explain to me how the automatic gates won't open unless you look straight into the camera.

To use the ePassport gates, the traveller must have a biometric passport from the United Kingdom and certain other countries (these ePassports have the biometric logo on the front cover). The ePassport gate scanner reads all the information contained in the chip inside the passport, while a camera takes a picture of the traveller which is then compared against their passport photo using a facial recognition algorithm.[14] Once the data verification and facial recognition process is complete, doors will automatically either open, signifying that the traveller is permitted to enter the country, or remain closed and a stop icon illuminate, demonstrating that the traveller has failed the security checks and will personally meet with immigration officials.

ePassports contain a chip inside it which contains information about that person's face which are taken from the digital photograph that you supply, like the distance between eyes, nose, mouth and ears.

Going through egates you will also need to remove sunglasses, hats and scarves and you might need to take your glasses off too.

//Edit by Maestro:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPassport_gates&ved=2ahUKEwi_972D1dKDAxWXd2wGHVMjDIEQFnoECBIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2I6kZRx8sxxcQIhtA3LQ-q

Edited by Maestro
Added link to the assumed source
  • Agree 2

52 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So google lies. 

According to Mr Bing, a UK passport's chip contains all facial dimensions BUT NOT a retinal scan. How can it if you have never had it taken? There is a company called IRIS which can do the scan and I believe put it in the chip. No fingerprints on the chip.

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What biometrics are on a UK passport? Mine was re-newed in 2018, no fingerprints, eye scan, nothing.

I know there is a chip with all the same details as on the first page. But is that all?

I wear glasses and my ID photos always have to be without glasses yet I exit the UK without ever removing my glasses!

I have had a beard for decades and my ID photos are always with a close cropped beard but I normally grow it for up two months without trimming and have never been stopped by any automated passport/ID system.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

As I have said previously, I have NEVER had my dabs taken in UK.

The OP is about Thailand and the airport in BKK which they fingerprint on entry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No fingerprints are stored on UK chipped passports.

I never said they were.The finger prints are done in thailand and they  finger print you on entry and store in their data base

Edited by Dan O
Spelli g
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

The OP is about Thailand and the airport in BKK which they fingerprint on entry

That is why I qualified my statement with 'in UK' to convince some people that they cannot be on a UK ePassport.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

Maybe the loss of hair is the reason for the loss of 3cm in height!

:smile:

Happy to tell you that, at 76, I still have a full head of the stuff. Apparently it is the bones shrinking and spine getting shorter as age progresses.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dan O said:

The op is about id in Thailand not the UK 

So lets get it straight. A UK passport does not have retinal scan details. It merely has facial measurements which the Thai camera image compares and if they match, you're in.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I didn't say that you did.  I just made a relevant comment about fingerprints relating to UK passports.

And I just qualified my statement 

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Like height, hair colour/style, facial hair, coloured contact lenses, scars etc etc.

I often get a 2nd look at entries because my passport photo has hair and a moustache that I no longer sport.

I'd add that, sometimes I have to scan both left and right fingerprints and sometimes it doesn't even ask for the 2nd hand.  I always suspected it found a match on the first hand and didn't need the 2nd.  But that would require that it actually does something with the fingerprints.

Edited by impulse

20 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Not entering Thailand?

No!

As has been posted above it appears that the fingerprinting started in 2019.  I last entered well before that and have no intentions of flying again unless I need to!

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So lets get it straight. A UK passport does not have retinal scan details. It merely has facial measurements which the Thai camera image compares and if they match, you're in.

Not sure what your talking about. I never said anything  about retinal scan. Passports have your biodata info encrypted in the passport. Its scanned into the data base in thailand and stored. they also take your pic and finger prints which are also stored. 

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Correct, mine certainly doesn't (UK 2018)

And it would only be any use if the country you are entering can access the database of your country. That's why Thailand, and other countries, have their own system.

I got a new one in Sept and I have never had my fingerprints or eye scan ever taken by HMPO, but I suspect the previous passport number(s?) are on the chip.

I never had any stamps transferred by immigration but when I went for an extension with new passport and new visa they seemed to be aware of the history, even accepted my 8 year old TM30 slip.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If your phone has NFC capability you can read your passport chip and see exactly what it contains. As already mentioned, that's the info from the data page and a digital image of the photo.

The specification allows for additional biometric data like fingerprints and eye scan but these do not appear to be widely used (yet).  There is no reference to previous passport numbers stored on the chip, or any other data that you can't see by looking at the passport itself.

• Thanks 1