Retirement Visa Renewal - please sticky the correct answer to renewal and finances question I have

I read that 800k or 65k/mo is required for renewal. Bangkok Bank says all I need is an official deposit statement of monthly pension deposits from them to renew. Other sources say I need embassy proof.

Could we just sticky the correct info so that so many don't have to ask, please? If not, does anyone (Cheryl?) have the right answer?

Also, can I send a friend to do the actual renewal? I am down with Parkinson's and the visa company is getting quite expensive.

Edited by SailingHome
Another question
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

Some embassies (like the Netherlands) still provide proof of income others like USA do not. So depending on your situation you go with bank or embassy.

I think you are saying since US embassy does not, the bank version is good enough. Is that correct?

Can someone else go to immigration and do it for me? I have been ill.

18 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

I read that 800k or 65k/mo is required for renewal. Bangkok Bank says all I need is an official deposit statement of monthly pension deposits from them to renew. Other sources say I need embassy proof.

Could we just sticky the correct info so that so many don't have to ask, please? If not, does anyone (Cheryl?) have the right answer?

To add to Bublegum's reply... the requirement if your from the USA or similar is:

> 65K tbt per month transferred to your Thai bank account as a FTT transaction for 12 months.

OR:

> 800K tbt on deposit in a Thai bank account

OR: a combination of both.

So... if your monthly FTT transfers were only 60K for example... the amount to keep on deposit in a separate account (recommendation) would be 800K - (60K x 12) = 80K...

Hope this helps. What country is your passport from?

Edited by Iamloki
Typo
  • Like 1

It is USA and greater than 65k and clearly states on the bank papers they officially stamp it is from SSA. That part is covered.

I need to know if I can send a friend to immigration for me since I am ill.

FYI calling 1111 they are extremely fast to answer and knowledgeable. No, can not have a friend do it for you. Yes, for USA the bank version is needed. You can make an appointment immigtation.go.th and not have to wait around all day like before.

Embassy letter for a  monthly balance.  You just need the embassy letter (not older then 6 month)

nothing else fincial. Or for a deposit of 800k you need to go to your bank and pay for a deposit letter a few days before you go to immigration.  

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, arick said:

Embassy letter for a  monthly balance.  You just need the embassy letter (not older then 6 month)

nothing else fincial. Or for a deposit of 800k you need to go to your bank and pay for a deposit letter a few days before you go to immigration.  

Many Embassies do not provide this letter.

Most Immigration Offices want the bank letter on the day of application or the day before.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, SailingHome said:

It is USA and greater than 65k and clearly states on the bank papers they officially stamp it is from SSA. That part is covered.

I am American and have used the 65K monthly FTT transfer into my Bangkok Bank act. for over a decade. I have used the Bangkok Bank letter without issue here in Chiang Mai. You can get Immigration help if medically unable to go to the Immigration Office.

@SailingHome What's required is Imm Office dependent, how strict or lax they are, and different at different offices.   I use the 65k monthly deposit for income, and my IO requires 3 bank statements;

... Credit Advice (deposit tracking) USA SS/Fed Reserve

... balance statement

... full yearly account statement

And yes, a bit redundant, as the Credit Advice tells them what they really need to know.

And depending of what office, they should allow someone to extend for you.  As stated, USA Embassy does NOT do income letters.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, SailingHome said:

I think you need to phone your Immigration office or get your friend to go and ask them, if you are ill you will probably need a doctor to confirm that. I have this list from Jomtian immigration if it helps. 

retirementcombojomtian..jpg.a20b1f379f789bcf010dc81532225b8e.jpg

Edited by brianthainess

18 hours ago, SailingHome said:

I think you are saying since US embassy does not, the bank version is good enough. Is that correct?

Can someone else go to immigration and do it for me? I have been ill.

Some years before he finally expired, I took an elderly friend to Jomtien to renew his extension. His presence, with zimmer and appearance of general decrepitude, reduced the place to  chaos. He was fast-tracked to the head of the queue, and I was told by a senior officer, in no uncertain terms, do not ever bring him back.....just bring a photo.

For the next five years or so, that is what happened, no problems.

It is my understanding that someone else can do your extension for you, BUT that is subject to a doctors report being provided, along with all the usual paperwork, stating that you're ill and physically incapable of attending Immigration.

Dr Jack will either confirm this or correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If your too sick to go to immigration, how will you get the letter, bank statement, and update your book from the bank? Or are you able to do that all on-line and print it all off?

The bank letter can't be made online. A detailed bank statement can be downloaded online, but it won't do any good in conjunction with any government requirements, as they all need it signed by a bank person!

Getting fast-tracked at a bank when you tell them that you're unwell isn't a problem; getting past immigration queues is.

48 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

The bank letter can't be made online. A detailed bank statement can be downloaded online, but it won't do any good in conjunction with any government requirements, as they all need it signed by a bank person!

Getting fast-tracked at a bank when you tell them that you're unwell isn't a problem; getting past immigration queues is.

I generate my bank statements from my online banking every year for Immigration purposes and print them (in colour) and I've never had an issue with them not being stamped or signed by the bank.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Many Embassies do not provide this letter.

Most Immigration Offices want the bank letter on the day of application or the day before.

Many Embassies do offer a afadivat letter and if you are doing the deposit route a bank letter on the day of going for your extension. 

If you want a bullet-proof extension, if possible use the 800k timed account deposit (for at least three months before extension application) and get a letter from the bank a day before going to immigration.

The monthly income route is fraught with uncertainty depending on your immigration office.