Bangkok Bank statement doesn't show correct description for Wise transfers

I just got my annual statement from Bangkok Bank for renewal of my marriage visa extension. Some of my monthly transfers show the correct description "Foreign T/T" but other don't, even though I use the same method to send money from Wise each month. Wise have an option for "Funds for long term stay on Thailand" which I always use.

Is there any way to get Bangkok Bank to correct this as I suspect its going to cause an issue at immigration.

AFAIK all Wise transfers into Thai bank accounts are made using other local banks. Often they send it through Kasikorn or TMB. I've never seen one sent from BBL. Wise payments are also never going to show as an incoming T/T transfer into your account unless you send it as a wire from your Wise account. 

Best thing you can do is got to the transfer transaction listed in the Wise app. Then click on the "Details" tab (after clicking on the subject transfer). Then scroll down and you will be able to download a PDF receipt for the transfer which has all the details of the trabsfer, including information at the bottom of the receipt stating that the transfer came from Wise, via a local bank transfer, and the name of the partner bank involved.

Not sure any of this is going to be acceptable evidence though. A printed statement showing the payments into your Wise account from the overseas paying entity would presumably be better. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hokeus said:

AFAIK all Wise transfers into Thai bank accounts are made using other local banks. Often they send it through Kasikorn or TMB. I've never seen one sent from BBL. Wise payments are also never going to show as an incoming T/T transfer into your account unless you send it as a wire from your Wise account. 

Bangkok Bank is a major account for payments by Wise.  And yes all my transfers are using Wise Bangkok Bank account to my Bangkok Bank account and recorded as FTT (foreign telegraphic transfer).  

It also depends on the amount of the transfer being sent to you from Wise. If you want it to arrive in your Thai account in seconds then the transfer amount must always be no more than 49,990 Baht. Anything over that amount often takes 1-2 days (sometimes longer if sent on a Thursday or Friday or over weekend) to complete the Wise transfer. 

So if you send an amount under 50,000 Baht, and it arrives in seconds, then it's most certainly come from a local partner bank. In those instances I don't see how the incoming transfer can ever be labeled as TT or FTT by your bank when the funds were physically transferred to your Thai account from another local bank. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Hokeus said:

It also depends on the amount of the transfer being sent to you from Wise. If you want it to arrive in your Thai account in seconds then the transfer amount must always be no more than 49,990 Baht. Anything over that amount often takes 1-2 days (sometimes longer if sent on a Thursday or Friday or over weekend) to complete the Wise transfer. 

So if you send an amount under 50,000 Baht, and it arrives in seconds, then it's most certainly come from a local partner bank. In those instances I don't see how the incoming transfer can ever be labeled as TT or FTT by your bank when the funds were physically transferred to your Thai account from another local bank. 

The Wise system is local partner banks - but the local bank knows the account is foreign funded if located in their bank and can record any transfer from it to another account in their bank as such (BBL always does).  Also do not believe BBL WISE account is limited to under 50 transfer rule.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

The Wise system is local partner banks - but the local bank knows the account is foreign funded if located in their bank and records any transfer from it to another account in their bank as such.  Also do not believe BBL WISE account is limited to under 50 transfer rule.

Yes, you can always transfer amounts above 50K to accounts at SCB, BBL, and TFB, but it won't ever arrive in seconds. 

33 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

OP, you might consider asking Wise to "tag" your account so that all of your transfers go directly to BBL and not through intermediary banks.  That way, you are *almost* guaranteed that you'll get the FTT designator, if that's what you choose when sending the money.

That was the old method, to 'tag' your account.
Wise thereafter introduced the option 'funds for long term stay in Thailand' to tag your transfers from the same partner bank.
Only Bangkok bank and Kasikorn bank are partner banks for Wise.

Wise will make very effort to match payment from the same partner account as your Bangkok or Kasikorn bank, but they prioritise in quick transfer processes. In the event of a technical glitch, they will send from either partner bank. If the payment uses their Kasikorn partner to Bangkok bank, it will be coded as a local type of transfer.

You should be able to request a foreign transfer advice note from Bangkok Bank.

You can also print the transfer receipts from your Wise account as proof of an overseas transfer, which many Immigration offices accept regardless of any coding in a passbook or statement.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Hokeus said:

Yes, you can always transfer amounts above 50K to accounts at SCB, BBL, and TFB, but it won't ever arrive in seconds. 

Believe BBL can still do if account is not tagged to use BBL only - mine are to tag account so always delayed until 1400.

3 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Kasikorn partner to Bangkok bank it will be coded as a local type of transfer.

You should be able to request a credit advice from Bangkok Bank.

Believe you request from Kasikorn as they are the payee and got the foreign transfer.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Hokeus said:

Wrong!

Amounts above 50,000 THB can only be remitted to Bangkok, Kasikorn and SCB banks.

(Up to 2 m per transaction).

https://wise.com/help/articles/2932335/guide-to-thb-transfers

How much can I send?

You can send up to 2 million THB per transfer.

Please note that you can send 50,000 THB or above per transfer only to the following banks from 7 January 2022 due to regulatory changes:

• Bangkok Bank Public Company

• Kasikorn Bank

• Siam Commercial Bank

You can still send money to recipient accounts that use other banks, but you’ll only be allowed to send them up to 49,999 THB per transfer. There’s no limit on how many transfers you can create.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe you request from Kasikorn as they are the payee and got the foreign transfer.

Edited my previous post.
You have to request a foreign overseas transfer note from Bangkok bank.

Remittances to Kasikorn even through their Kasikorn partner are not coded as FTT, hence a credit receipt is required.
Kasikorn cannot provide a credit receipt for a transfer that merely went through them to a different bank.

22 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Edited my previous post.
You have to request a foreign overseas transfer note from Bangkok bank.

Remittances to Kasikorn even through their Kasikorn partner are not coded as FTT, hence a credit receipt is required.
Kasikorn cannot provide a credit receipt for a transfer that merely went through them to a different bank.

Kasikorn Trade and Finance branches will provide a credit advice showing details of FTT. They require your Wise receipt and passbook from your bank.

These are accepted by immigration at CW

Edited by norbra

All International transfers whether through Wise or a different method have to go through the HQ branch of any and all Thai banks.
The HQ's have a SWIFT code, whereas individual branches do not.

The transfers are then forwarded to the relevant branch from the HQ, identified by the sort code which is part of the recipient's account number.
Wise have partner accounts only with Bangkok and Kasikorn banks.

Bangkok bank advise the branch of the source of the transfer, hence it's coded FTT (Foreign Telex Transfer) in the passbook, or as 'International' on statements.
Kasikorn do not advise the branches of the source of the transfer, hence it will be coded as a local transfer (coming from their HQ) in the passbook, but will be shown as 'International' via a 12 month statement.

Transfer through Wise partner accounts to other banks will also be coded as 'local', coming through an intermediary bank of the process.

Transfer receipts printed from your Wise account are the ultimate proof of the foreign source and your Thai bank account.
Although on situations where a 'credit advice' note, or 'foreign transfer' receipt may have to be requested, check whether your IO will accept Wise transfer receipts as evidence first.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

you should check after each transfer

This is the crucial point, I think. Not a particularly good idea to leave all such checkings until just before your next extension of stay application is due, as appears to have been the case here!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, norbra said:

Kasikorn Trade and Finance branches will provide a credit advice showing details of FTT. They require your Wise receipt and passbook from your bank.

They provide 'credit note' receipts when transferred to one of their own branch accounts, not to other bank accounts.

Kasikorn Trade and Finance branches can issue a 'foreign transfer' receipt, as proof of an International transfer paid to a different bank.

Their T&F branches are few and far between.

34 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Wrong!

Amounts above 50,000 THB can only be remitted to Bangkok, Kasikorn and SCB banks.

(Up to 2 m per transaction).

🤦🏻‍♂️ Not wrong, that’s what the post already said. BBL, SCB, and TFB are the local banking codes for those 3 banks. The school of redundancy redundancy. 

Edited by ABCDBKK

10 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

🤦🏻‍♂️ Not wrong, that’s what the post already said. BBL, SCB, and TFB are the local banking codes for those 3 banks. The school of redundancy redundancy. 

Kasikorn changed its name from the Thai Farmers bank in 2003.
To use TFB as an abbreviation is wrong, as it's outdated by some 20 years.
In this modern day and age, Kasikorn is known as the KBank when abbreviating.

Edited by Liquorice

1 hour ago, TheAppletons said:

This is factually incorrect.  I send via Wise directly to my BBL account - every transfer lists as FTT.  You are correct in that, on the occasions where an intermediary bank is involved, the transfer gets designated as something other than FTT.

This is what OP should do.  Wise is the entity to which he should be requesting assistance to prove overseas remittance.

------ Break -----

OP, you might consider asking Wise to "tag" your account so that all of your transfers go directly to BBL and not through intermediary banks.  That way, you are *almost* guaranteed that you'll get the FTT designator, if that's what you choose when sending the money.

Since "tagging" my account, 100% of my transfers have shown up as FTT (foreign transfer) because they've gone directly to BBL (not through an intermediary bank.)  Wise will tell you that "nothing is guaranteed" re: tagging the account but they are 100% so far (knock on wood.)

Edit to add:  Tagging your Wise account to avoid intermediary banks may slow your transfer by a business day or so.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the option for tagging. I will ask Wise about that.

36 minutes ago, OJAS said:

This is the crucial point, I think. Not a particularly good idea to leave all such checkings until just before your next extension of stay application is due, as appears to have been the case here!

Point taken. Good advice.

27 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Kasikorn changed its name from the Thai Farmers bank in 2003.
To use TFB as an abbreviation is wrong, as it's outdated by some 20 years.
In this modern day and age, Kasikorn is known as the KBank when abbreviating.

TFB, KBANK, same thing. Some local systems still use the old 3 letter code. Your post was still unnecessary and the previous post was still not wrong. 

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes.

Referred to as "credit advice" 

Not sure why some transfers were not shown as FTT.

Perhaps was done as internal transfer from another bank. 

In any event go to BB and they will advise course of action. 

Very long thread here and about 5th post explains what Bangkok Bank did for customer to satisfy immigration. (WISE transfer)

https://aseannow.com/topic/1234763-wise-transfers-not-being-processed-as-international-specifically-bangkok-bank/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1221420-bank-transfers-bangkok-bank/

Thanks Dr Jack, much appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ABCDBKK said:

TFB, KBANK, same thing. Some local systems still use the old 3 letter code. Your post was still unnecessary and the previous post was still not wrong. 

Yeah, yeah, and in 20 years from now you'll still be calling 'X', Twitter and nobody will have a clue what you're twittering about.

16 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Yeah, yeah, and in 20 years from now you'll still be calling 'X', Twitter and nobody will have a clue what you're twittering about.

Not so. My X's name is Twyla and we won't be getting back together now, or in 20 years from now! 😤