Potty About Potter

mallmagician

Anyone know of bookstores stocking the new Potter book from tomorrow? Also, is there any midnight openings to get a copy?

I want to avoid all press and the like about the ending, so want to grab a copy early tomorrow morning, and finish it by the time I go out for a BBQ tomorrow night! :o

Sad? Perhaps. But after reading all of the books since their release, I want to read the final one without the ending being ruined.

Thanks

Phil

Anyone know of bookstores stocking the new Potter book from tomorrow? Also, is there any midnight openings to get a copy?

I want to avoid all press and the like about the ending, so want to grab a copy early tomorrow morning, and finish it by the time I go out for a BBQ tomorrow night! :o

Sad? Perhaps. But after reading all of the books since their release, I want to read the final one without the ending being ruined.

Thanks

Phil

I know there is a bookstore in Airport Plaza that is selling them ( it's a chain bookstore whose name slips me at the moment) It is on the 3rd floor there. I did the advance purchase on mine and will pick it up tomorrow. As for a midnight release I don't know.

Thanks terrymor66

I know that in Bangkok a couple of stores are opening at 6 a.m. Anywhere in CM? Preferably near SanSai, but no worries if not, will travel!

Maybe Carrefour??

Anyone seen any signs?

Phil

B2S at Central Aiport. They got the Potter fever there going on with all their staff dressed as witches! Carrefour? You might want to try Se-Ed. they might stock it. But best bet is to get it from Airport plaza. Not sure about any midnight thing though.

Ah ! thanks ! it is Se-Ed that I pre-ordered from in Airport Plaza. I also saw that their store down on Night Bazaar was selling it also. My guess would be that place at night bazaar might be open late enough to sell at midnight, but it also sounds as though with all the fanfare at airport plaza they might have it to.

Rim Ping (at NIM Airport) had it.

1200-something baht, though.

I had pre-ordered mine at Se-Ed in Airport Plaza for 850 baht....400 baht discount for the pre-order. read it in 1 1/2 days. now going to sit down to read once again !

I had pre-ordered mine at Se-Ed in Airport Plaza for 850 baht....400 baht discount for the pre-order. read it in 1 1/2 days. now going to sit down to read once again !

If you hurry, this might be one book you may actually get more than 40 baht for when selling to Gecko. :o

Edited by Sanpatong

If you hurry, this might be one book you may actually get more than 40 baht for when selling to Gecko. :D

We usually pay WAY over 40 baht for books that customers are actually asking for. 40 baht is usually reserved for titles that no one really wants or that every store is swamped with and we are quite happy to let the customer keep them if our price is not high enough. :D

For example, Gecko Books pays 450 baht for the Bloomsberry edition (compact edition) of the newest Harry Potter in excellent condition at this time.

We usually pay from 100 - 450 baht for more popular trade paperback books in fairly good condition and 50 - 140 for pocket-sized fiction that are a year or two old.

Authors that are not so easy to get and sell well - like Steven Leather, Steven Hunter, Wilbur Smith or Clive Cussler - bring in from 50 to 140 baht for pocket-sized novels - even older titles.

Some older pulp fiction - like John Grisham, Patricia Cornwell or Tom Clancy - that we ( and everyone else) are swamped with usually go to our bargain section and you get half of what we intend to sell it for.

If you bring in a pile of junk that you were too cheap to just throw in the garbage - like many people do - don't expect much money for it. :o

About Harry Potter, Gecko Books main branch has a few new ones that we are selling for 995 baht. I got them last week for 850 in Bangkok. It is difficult to buy them wholesale at the moment because most wholesale outlets won't sell it to other stores right now.

Asia Books (Book Corner in Chiang Mai) is selling it for 1,195 baht.

Edited by Ulysses G.

About Harry Potter, Gecko Books main branch has a few new ones that we are selling for 995 baht. I got them last week for 850 in Bangkok. It is difficult to buy them wholesale at the moment because most wholesale outlets won't sell it to other stores right now.

Asia Books (Book Corner in Chiang Mai) is selling it for 1,195 baht.

UG out of interest which version of the book do you have in stock? I preordered my copy (English) months ago and got it from SE-Ed (Carre Four) last Sunday but I know a couple of people who are keen to buy a copy but not at the current lsted price of 1,195 Baht.

CB

We have several new copies of the Bloomsbury edition available for 995 baht at the main branch of Gecko Books. It is the most compact edition available and published in England. :o

Wish I had known you were getting in copies - I would rather have given you the money than SE-Ed. I will let my friends know and send them your way. Being English they will not buy the US version because of the spelling differences, hence my question. They saw copies in Rimping but a quick look showed that it was the US version not the British publication. English purists - have to love them :D

CB

Us true intellectuals can figure out either spelling! :o

Gramatically speaking it should be "we true intellectuals can figure out either spelling" but what the heck :D

I saw a post from you that you thought it was the best Harry Potter book yet. I thought this last one fell around at the beginning and definitely at the end. I think it had a heavy edit done on it to reduce the size of the book because to me it seems that whole chunks were missing. I do think it is a good read and think the series will continue to be read for many years to come. I don't think it will be the modern version of Lord of the Rings but certainly has made Rowling much richer than Tolkein ever dreamed.

CB

Took my daughter to DK bookstore at 0800 opening day. She told me after the fact they charged 1090. baht. Later in the day I stopped in and asked them, why this amount, as I understood 850. was the going price. After several weak attempts to justify, no preorded, thats our price etc, the manager got involved and said the price should have been 850. I finally won one against the Thai's going to mark in my black book. By the way UG are you stocking the new Wilber Smith book? If so save me one and I will pick it up after hearing from you.

I'm not a Tolkien fan.

The Hobbit was good and the first book of the trilogy, but - to me - it just went on and on with the same old stuff and got boring.

I read it twice and felt the same way both times.

Interesting - I think I must have read the ring series at least twenty times over the years and the Hobbit the same number. I still get new insights into it every time I read it. Literary wise the Tolkein books are much superior but they were never intended as children's books. The Harry Potter books were and then expanded as adults took them to heart, making it necessary to create a Children's and the two Adult versions. I have read the series serveral times and enjoy tem. In preparation for the latest release I read the set again. I just think it wonderful that these book have triggered many children to start reading. A friend of mine in Australia (American) married to an Australia had to preorder and pay for 1 x US Edition, 2 x British editions (wife and eldest daughter) plus 2 x children's editions for the smaller kids - said that the concept of having to wait for the others to finish while the one set was passed around was never going to work in his household - cost him a fortune but happy to pay.

CB

Many thanks, we got our Potter book today from your main branch.

The girl on the pay desk has a head like a computer; I only had to ask her about a couple of authors, and did she have a certain book by them, and she answered in about 2 seconds! I'm impressed. :o

By the way UG are you stocking the new Wilber Smith book? If so save me one and I will pick it up after hearing from you.

We stock about 95% used books, so we don't have a lot of room for new books, however, I try to have a few new copies of special titles that people ask for over and over because it is impossible to have them used all of the time. Also, a few book suppliers send us some of the newest paperback titles on consignment, so we often have those on the shelves.

The newest used title we have by Wilbur Smith is When the Lion Feeds which is his latest in paperback.

We don't have The Quest yet as it is still only sold in hardback which is extremely hard for us to sell.

By the way, I am told that DK is now selling the newest Harry Potter for 1,250 baht. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

A friend of mine in Australia (American) married to an Australia had to preorder and pay for 1 x US Edition, 2 x British editions (wife and eldest daughter) plus 2 x children's editions for the smaller kids

Good Grief !

A marketing coup :o .

What happened to understanding & enjoying books in the dialect in which they were written ?

Edited by WaiWai

I saw a post from you that you thought it was the best Harry Potter book yet. I thought this last one fell around at the beginning and definitely at the end. I think it had a heavy edit done on it to reduce the size of the book because to me it seems that whole chunks were missing. I do think it is a good read and think the series will continue to be read for many years to come.

I only read the one that you are talking about - number 6 - about a month ago and I enjoyed it without being overly enthrawled. The new one - number 7 - has a lot more excitement and energy and answers a lot of questions that have bothered me for a while.

To me, the Potter books are light reading for entertainment - not a lot of great insights - but many of the movies that TV members rate as great would fall in the same category. Nothing wrong with entertainment. :o

Are you guys saying there are actually different editions with different content out there? Forgive my ignorance, but I had never even considered that.

Are there differences between the "children's version", the american version and the UK version? What are the differences?

I might just have read the kid's edition... oh, well. Upon closer inspection, mine doesn't say anything about kid's edition. It has the nice cover illustration by Jason Cockcroft (what a name!) on it. And it says "Bloomsbury". There's hope still...

Edited by nikster