Any deadline to renew expired Non O Spouse visa?

Hi there, my Non O spouse visa was renewed for a year and is valid till 15 Sep 2024.

I normally submit the renewal application about a week before the expiry date but this year I may be unable to do so as I need to stay in my home country in September to attend to family matters and return to Thailand in mid-November, which means submitting the renewal application 2 months past the mentioned visa validity/expiry date.

Can anyone help advise if there is any known deadline to renew an expired Non O spouse visa by?

Many thanks

Seems you have an extension of stay based on marriage.

If you do not renew before the expiry dated, 15 Sept 2024, it ends.

If you are in Thailand past the expiry, immigration may give some leeway and after paying an overstay fine, will extend, with or without an agent.

If you are out of Thailand, IO at the airport will not be able to stamp you in on the old extension, after the expiry date,  even if you have reentry permit, and you will get the standard visa exempt or VOA days, depending on you passport nationality. You will then have to start the non O afresh.

You will either have to plan your visit around the extension date, apply early and even maybe do the visit during under consideration period, or accept you will lose the non O.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Start all over again.

One year I had turned in all the paperwork and was in consideration, but had to leave the country for three months before I could get the final. Had to start over.

9 hours ago, Jon M said:

Hi there, my Non O spouse visa was renewed for a year and is valid till 15 Sep 2024.

I normally submit the renewal application about a week before the expiry date but this year I may be unable to do so as I need to stay in my home country in September to attend to family matters and return to Thailand in mid-November, which means submitting the renewal application 2 months past the mentioned visa validity/expiry date.

Can anyone help advise if there is any known deadline to renew an expired Non O spouse visa by?

Many thanks

When you are leaving Thailand? You can renew the Extension 30 to 45 days before, pending where you are living.

Edited by UWEB
  • Agree 1

It is always worth talking to your local immigration office, they may be able to provide a solution (renew early, or a longer under-consideration period), much depends upon just how friendly your office is.

10 hours ago, Jon M said:

which means submitting the renewal application 2 months past the mentioned visa validity/expiry date.

Well it doesn't really does it as you have stated you will already be expired. Use the ideas mentioned above by others already.

13 hours ago, Jon M said:

Many thanks

What about August? Are you in your home country then too? If not, extend your visa a month early. Last time I used an agent they said you can renew much earlier than a month, even 2 months early.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:26 PM, UKresonant said:

Just pick up a new 90 Day Single entry non-O visa when your back in home country? and do the extension of stay once your back... 

And that means starting all over again when applying for a one year extension, which involves more checks and a home visit which might not otherwise be needed. I know, I've been though it. Even had to have an interview at my immigration office, despite having had many previous extensions and being married over 30 years. Actually, they ignored me and only spoke with my wife, same as on the home visit. We are actually invisible to them (translation - they don't speak English so have to speak with your spouse)

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Love It 1

On 1/14/2024 at 8:31 AM, UWEB said:

When you are leaving Thailand? You can renew the Extension 30 to 45 days before, pending where you are living.

25 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

You can apply upto 4 weeks in advance.

Applying for an extension based on Thai spouse, the application has to be approved at regional level.
He would be given an 'under consideration' stamp dated 30 days beyond his current permission of stay (15th Oct).

The OP stated he won't be returning until mid-November!

@Jon M

Your current permission of stay will expire when you depart Thailand.
For reasons, I've given above, it's doubtful if you can renew your extension before departure. (Speak to your IO though, as @Crossy suggested.)

You will probably have to start from scratch again by applying for the Non Imm O visa from a Thai Embassy to re-enter Thailand.

You can then reapply for the 1-year extension of stay within the last 30 days of the 90 days granted on entry from the Non O visa.

Edited by Liquorice

49 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Applying for an extension based on Thai spouse, the application has to be approved at regional level.
He would be given an 'under consideration' stamp dated 30 days beyond his current permission of stay (15th Oct).

The OP stated he won't be returning until mid-November!

@Jon M

Your current permission of stay will expire when you depart Thailand.
For reasons, I've given above, it's doubtful if you can renew your extension before departure. (Speak to your IO though, as @Crossy suggested.)

You will probably have to start from scratch again by applying for the Non Imm O visa from a Thai Embassy to re-enter Thailand.

You can then reapply for the 1-year extension of stay within the last 30 days of the 90 days granted on entry from the Non O visa.

If he is staying in Bangkok he could apply for the Extension on 1. of August, if he stays in another Province he can go the same date with his Documents and Airline Ticket to his local Immigration Office and explain the situation. That would give him 4 weeks prior Departure.

I would even go now to my Immigration Office to ask for advise.

15 minutes ago, UWEB said:

If he is staying in Bangkok he could apply for the Extension on 1. of August, if he stays in another Province he can go the same date with his Documents and Airline Ticket to his local Immigration Office and explain the situation. That would give him 4 weeks prior Departure.

Yes, he can submit the application early, up to 45 days in advance at many IO's.

However his application has to be reviewed and approved at regional level.
His under consideration stamp (date to return for the 1 year extension stamp) will be dated 30 days after his current permission of stay expires, that is 15th Oct and the OP won't be in Thailand at that point.

His current permission of stay will have expired and without a new 1 year extension stamp and re-entry permit, he'd be given a 30 day VE on reentry in November.

5 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Yes, he can submit the application early, up to 45 days in advance at many IO's.

However his application has to be reviewed and approved at regional level.
His under consideration stamp (date to return for the 1 year extension stamp) will be dated 30 days after his current permission of stay expires, that is 15th Oct and the OP won't be in Thailand at that point.

His current permission of stay will have expired and without a new 1 year extension stamp and re-entry permit, he'd be given a 30 day VE on reentry in November.

That"s also pending on where he is staying. Here in Hua Hin the 30 days starts counting from day of application, not from the day the Extension expires.

4 hours ago, UWEB said:

That"s also pending on where he is staying. Here in Hua Hin the 30 days starts counting from day of application, not from the day the Extension expires.

He should consult his Immigration office about his issue.

The OP stated his current extension expires Sept 15th, but he'll be out of Country Sept.

Depends on how far in advance he can apply and if it can be processed before he leaves sometime in August.

It can be done, if they are willing.

On 1/13/2024 at 10:48 PM, Jon M said:

deadline to renew an expired Non O spouse visa

Before it expires, I would think... I know, not helpful.

If your current expires 15 Sep, you can renew 30 (or 45?) days prior to that date.

If you need to be out of country in Sept, if possible for you, I would suggest renewing on August 16... Due to the home visit requirement, you might want to have a conversation with Immigration about timing.

maybe you could obtain a 60 day visit Thai wife extension as close to your departure date as possible ( you have not said when this is) together with a re-entry permit which will cover you to 14th November as the 60 day extension will start from the 16th September.