Flame Jelly Fish Found on Phuket Beach in Wichit

webfact

image.jpeg

About ten flame jellyfish were recently found on a beach in Wichit.

The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) reported that late last week they were notified from a hotel operator that flame jelly fish were found on a beach in Wichit. They inspected the beach to find about ten flame jelly fish (Pelagia sp.) on the beach during high tide. Beachgoers have been warned to be careful.

If a swimmer has been stung, seawater and vinegar, if available, can be used to wash the affected skin.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-01-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

Was swimming along and saw a big red bastard in front of me. I tried to dive under it but got caught on the back. It felt like someone got me with a whip complete with red lines. It stung for an hour or two then went away.

They should do more to warn tourists when they actually discover jelly fish, specially in certain season, the sign they put up is totally useless, because it's there year around and nobody takes notice...!

They should have special signs for this kind of special days. Most people suffer a few hours and no permanent scars, but others may react differently, and children could be worse...

I have been stung a few times, fortunately not a big deal with vinegar, but a friend ate seafood in the evening after being stung and spent a few days in hospital with breathing problem and terrible reaction, avoid seafood when stung... 🥴