Shade-grown coffee in Thailand

I was reading a bird lovers' website (Cornell Lab of Ornithology) and it listed ways in which people could help birds, one of which was to buy shade-grown coffee rather than sun-grown coffee. I am disappointed to say that I had never read about this distinction, and when I looked on Google for suppliers of shade-grown coffee in Thailand, the only one I found stated that all its coffee was out of stock. Given that there are experts on brands of Arabica beans on this website, could someone please recommend one that is shade-grown?

3 minutes ago, Ombra said:

Thank you, but I looked and failed to find the information I wanted. Take this one for example:

Akhamaechantai | Coffee (akhamaechantaicoffee.com)

It looks good, but it doesn't mention whether it is sun-dried or shade-dried, unless my reading is poor.

It is not about sun dried or shade dried, this refers to the processing of the already grown beans. Shade grown means that the trees itself are not exposed to direct sunlight. Most of the Arabica plantations in the North are in cool mountain and forest areas and have natural shade from larger trees. Arabica plants do not tolerate direct sunlight well.  I visited several coffee plantations in different parts of the North and it is similar. Not every grower mentions shade grown even if it is the case. If you want to be really sure you should do some trips to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nan.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, msbkk said:

It is not about sun dried or shade dried, this refers to the processing of the already grown beans. Shade grown means that the trees itself are not exposed to direct sunlight. Most of the Arabica plantations in the North are in cool mountain and forest areas and have natural shade from larger trees. Arabica plants do not tolerate direct sunlight well.  I visited several coffee plantations in different parts of the North and it is similar. Not every grower mentions shade grown even if it is the case. If you want to be really sure you should do some trips to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nan.

Thank you very much. Not only did I not know the distinction, but I have never seen Arabica being grown.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

I only just learned of the concept of shade-grown coffee a couple of days ago in this article that also talks about the health benefits of coffee, especially for older people:

An article by Mercola has absolutely zero credibility.  He's a quack and a snake oil salesman.  So, you've actually learned nothing from "this article".

More about Mercola:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

An article by Mercola has absolutely zero credibility.  He's a quack and a snake oil salesman.  So, you've actually learned nothing from "this article".

More about Mercola:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola

So you're saying that this doctor, who is followed by millions of people around the world, is wrong about EVERYTHING - even coffee? Your ridiculous statement says a lot more about you than it does about him.

P.S. - Am I correct in assuming that you are "vaccinated" for COVID? Sucker.

Edited by BangkokHank

30 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

So you're saying that this doctor, who is followed by millions of people around the world, is wrong about EVERYTHING - even coffee? Your ridiculous statement says a lot more about you than it does about him.

The fact that he's followed by millions of people around the world simply shows that there are millions of scientifically illiterate, gullible people who are prepared to believe any old nonsense with a pseudoscientific presentation.

And the fact that he is an inveterate liar about health benefits, there is no reason to presume he's right about anything (except, perhaps by accident).  According to him:

- microwave ovens are dangerous

- HIV doesn't cause AIDS

- sunscreen causes cancer

- homogenised milk is dangerous

- If you constantly wear materials like rubber or 'plastic' shoes you'll be disconnected from the natural energy that flows from the Earth.

And that's not even touching on his ludicrous beliefs about vaccines.

The FDA sent him a warning letter about his COVID pronouncements.  https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/warning-letters/mercolacom-llc-607133-02182021

Still, he's done very well for himself, now being worth $100 million on the back of his clueless supporters.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:12 PM, Foxx said:

The fact that he's followed by millions of people around the world simply shows that there are millions of scientifically illiterate, gullible people who are prepared to believe any old nonsense with a pseudoscientific presentation.

And the fact that he is an inveterate liar about health benefits, there is no reason to presume he's right about anything (except, perhaps by accident).  According to him:

- microwave ovens are dangerous

- HIV doesn't cause AIDS

- sunscreen causes cancer

- homogenised milk is dangerous

- If you constantly wear materials like rubber or 'plastic' shoes you'll be disconnected from the natural energy that flows from the Earth.

And that's not even touching on his ludicrous beliefs about vaccines.

The FDA sent him a warning letter about his COVID pronouncements.  https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/warning-letters/mercolacom-llc-607133-02182021

Still, he's done very well for himself, now being worth $100 million on the back of his clueless supporters.

The fact that millions of people around the world still use Wikipedia as a source simply shows that there are millions of scientifically illiterate, gullible people who are prepared to believe any old nonsense with a pseudoscientific presentation. Wikipedia has been totally discredited as a source for truthful information. 

https://swprs.org/wikipedia-and-propaganda/

From this article:

Many Wikipedia manipulators are editing articles almost all day and every day, indicating that they are either highly dedicated individuals, or perhaps operated by a group of people.

Moreover, articles edited by these personae cannot easily be revised, since the above-mentioned administrators can always revert changes or simply block disagreeing users altogether.

Many of these covert campaigns attempt to promote establishment and industry positions and destroy the reputation of critics. Because of its influence, German watchdog group WikiRadar described Wikipedia as “one of the most dangerous websites on the internet”.

Particularly affected by this kind of systematic and covert manipulation are Wikipedia articles about political and geopolitical, commercial, societal, medical and some historical topics as well as biographies of non-compliant academics, journalists, and politicians.

• Like 1