Info required to renew my Retirement Visa

My RV is due to expire on 21 March 24, i will use my Fixed Deposit book for proof of funds. The fixed deposit will mature on 27 Feb 24 and will then be renewed again 27 Feb 24 for a further term with no funds ever being removed.

Would the bank letter for proof of funds need to state this, and i would have to provide the IO with the two books along with the letter

You can extend your visa 30 days prior to your visa expiry on March 21. Therefore, you can do the extension on Feb 22, which is 5 days before your Fixed Deposit matures on Feb 27th. Then your concern about bank books becomes moot. 

Regardless, when you renew a fixed deposit, you normally don't get a new bank book. You continue using the same bank book and most likely they make an entry into the existing bank book when you renew it. 

Edited by ABCDBKK
Clarification
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

Would the bank letter for proof of funds need to state this, and i would have to provide the IO with the two books along with the letter

Just to be clear what the "bank letter" is about.....

The bank letter confirms you as the owner of the FD account and balance on day you obtain letter.

The proof that the funds have been in the account for the year is demonstrated by the bank book (and photocopies of book pages)

Most banks have auto rollover when maturity date arrives. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The proof that the funds have been in the account for the year is demonstrated by the bank book (and photocopies of book pages)

Most banks have auto rollover when maturity date arrives. 

As proof that the funds have been in the account for the year they often ask for an additional 12 month bank statement printed by the bank on the same day as the bank letter. This shows any outgoings and incomings of funds to the account that might not be reflected in any of the bank book entries. 

Edited by ABCDBKK
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

You can extend your visa 30 days prior to expiry. Therefore you can do the extension on Feb 22, which is 5 days before your Fixed Deposit matures on Feb 27th. Then the issue is moot. 

Regardless, when you renew a fixed deposit, you normally don't get a new bank book. You continue using the same bank book and most likely they make an entry into the existing bank book when you renew it. 

I will not return to my home until 15 March and renew on 16 March

With Bangkok Bank if your interest rate changes, they will provide a new book

Edited by Isan Farang
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ABCDBKK said:

As proof that the funds have been in the account for the year they often ask for a 12 month bank statement printed by the bank on the same day as the bank letter. This shows any outgoings and incomings of funds to the account that might not be reflected in any of the bank book entries. 

For a Bangkok Bank FD account you are unable to add or remove any funds, if you wish to remove the funds the agreement is cancelled and any interest is lost.

5 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

As proof that the funds have been in the account for the year they often ask for a 12 month bank statement printed by the bank on the same day as the bank letter

He is using FD account.

I have never provided bank statements for my FD account at CW. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

I will not return to my home until 15 March and renew on 16 March

With Bagkok Bank if your interest rate changes, they will provide a new book

Assuming you will get a second bank book then, yes, present them both. Also present a 12 month bank statement for the old bank book and a 1 month statement for the new bank book.

I'm not sure what they will require in the letter, but surely immigration has seen a case like yours before and will understand it when you show the two books and the two corresponding bank statements.

Presumably the bank letter only is going to indicate your balance in the new bank book on the date of the letter and not indicate any reference to the old bank book. 

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He is using FD account.

Well that's good news. Then maybe it isn't necessary with a FD account at CW. Not sure it won't be required when renewing elsewhere though.

Edited by ABCDBKK

18 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

For a Bangkok Bank FD account you are unable to add or remove any funds, if you wish to remove the funds the agreement is cancelled and any interest is lost.

It is correct that if you withdraw you lose the interest which is why IO allow this for visa extensions as it is instant access.  You are wrong however to say that you cannot add to it; 

Fixed Deposit Account (bangkokbank.com)

Note: Deposits into a Fixed Deposit account or Sinmathaya Subthawee account via Bualuang ATMs, Cash Deposit Machines, Bualuang Phone, Bualuang iBanking and Bualuang mBanking can be made between 6:00a.m.-11:00p.m.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

Assuming you will get a second bank book then, yes, present them both. Also present a 12 month bank statement for the old bank book and a 1 month statement for the new bank book.

I'm not sure what they will require in the letter, but surely immigration has seen a case like yours before and will understand it when you show the two books and the two corresponding bank statements.

Presumably the bank letter only is going to indicate your balance in the new bank book on the date of the letter and not indicate any reference to the old bank book. 

There will be 2 books for sure. In the letter the bank told me they will reference two books, and that the old book was carried forward to the new book. Please note there is no bank statements given for a FD, only copy of the books plus the bank letter. Obviously they need to view the origanal TD books also.

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He is using FD account.

At CM IO I only provide the updated BKK Bank passbook, without any same day/recent deposit and the 100baht letter.  No statements.

Contrary to another poster you can deposit money into a fixed deposit account during it's term.  The fixed refers to the interest rate, not the amount!

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Contrary to another poster you can deposit money into a fixed deposit account during it's term.  The fixed refers to the interest rate, not the amount!

Indeed.

I actually make a deposit on day of application for extension.

1000b as that's minimum for Kasikorn FD account. 

At the same time the bank provides the bank letter which includes the deposit..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

There will be 2 books for sure. In the letter the bank told me they will reference two books, and that the old book was carried forward to the new book. Please note there is no bank statements given for a FD, only copy of the books plus the bank letter. Obviously they need to view the origanal TD books also.

Why will there be 2 books?

Usually they roll it over in the same book.

I always make a deposit on my Fixed account on the day of application and get the book updated.

25 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

Understood, but it seems you already know the answers to the questions you posed in your OP about what the bank will put in the letter for you and if you will need to show both bank books to the IO. So your questions are fully answered now, correct?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Lite Beer said:

Why will there be 2 books?

Usually they roll it over in the same book.

I always make a deposit on my Fixed account on the day of application and get the book updated.

I am following the information i received from Bangkok Bank today, it may be other banks are different. Many times i have renewed my TD with BB and they have punched 2 holes in the old book and started again from new

TD Book_000048.jpg

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Isan Farang said:

My RV is due to expire on 21 March 24, i will use my Fixed Deposit book for proof of funds. The fixed deposit will mature on 27 Feb 24 and will then be renewed again 27 Feb 24 for a further term with no funds ever being removed.

How have you done it in the past?

I have still got my original BKK Bank FD A/C Passbook form 2016.  At annual rollover time a line is inserted with the added interest. the withholding tax removed and a line stating the new/roll over interest rate!

PS; BKK keep telling me that even though I have a registered my TIN with them they must still withhold it and I every couple of years I recover the Tax from the RD in CM!

They even open an account for you with Kasiskorn bank (I think) to do the first transfer.  I will confirm which bank shortly.  Would you believe the RD will NOT pay my withholding tax refund into my BKK Bank account!

1 hour ago, Isan Farang said:

If its an automatic renewal it will be the same book... so not 2 books.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

How have you done it in the past?

On previous renewal i have never had a FA mature and start a new one so close to my renewal date. The IO require the funds to be seasoned prior to renewal so my concern was the new FA starts from 27 Feb and extention renewal will be 15 March. My concern was the IO might state the funds have only been from 27 Feb and reject my application. Thus the reason for the bank to explain that this is a continuation

6 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

On previous renewal i have never had a FA mature and start a new one so close to my renewal date. The IO require the funds to be seasoned prior to renewal so my concern was the new FA starts from 27 Feb and extention renewal will be 15 March. My concern was the IO might state the funds have only been from 27 Feb and reject my application. Thus the reason for the bank to explain that this is a continuation

OK. I assume an FA is the same as an FD.

Edited by KannikaP

52 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

The bank is wrong or you didn't hear them correctly. As others have also stated at Bangkok Bank it is an automatic renewal on the next line in the same book if you keep the same deposit time--ie: 12 mths and renew to 12 mths. If you change the length of the the deposit (eg: was 12mth and change to 6 mths), then yes you will get a new book and the old book is cancelled.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

The bank is wrong or you didn't hear them correctly. As others have also stated at Bangkok Bank it is an automatic renewal on the next line in the same book if you keep the same deposit time--ie: 12 mths and renew to 12 mths. If you change the length of the the deposit (eg: was 12mth and change to 6 mths), then yes you will get a new book and the old book is cancelled.

You are correct i have changed the time period, the only part to be carried forward is the total amount of funds.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2024 at 5:18 PM, scottiejohn said:

It is correct that if you withdraw you lose the interest which is why IO allow this for visa extensions as it is instant access.  You are wrong however to say that you cannot add to it; 

Fixed Deposit Account (bangkokbank.com)

Note: Deposits into a Fixed Deposit account or Sinmathaya Subthawee account via Bualuang ATMs, Cash Deposit Machines, Bualuang Phone, Bualuang iBanking and Bualuang mBanking can be made between 6:00a.m.-11:00p.m.

A year ago I tried to add to my FD at Bkk Bank and was told at two branches that I could not because I did not have work permit or notarized statement from the embassy (I am on retirement extension).

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 1:31 PM, DrJack54 said:

Indeed.

I actually make a deposit on day of application for extension.

1000b as that's minimum for Kasikorn FD account. 

At the same time the bank provides the bank letter which includes the deposit..

Hello, DrJack54. I remember that last year you described this method with fixed deposit but I can't find that message. Can you, please, send me a link if you remember it :-) ?

1 hour ago, Findthai said:

Hello, DrJack54. I remember that last year you described this method with fixed deposit but I can't find that message. Can you, please, send me a link if you remember it :-) ?

Not quite sure what you are asking.

This is what I do for banking requirements.

Easy at CW as the banks are on lower level.

Don't go to teller. Sit with one of the clerks that do general business. 

They know what you need.

I have FD a/c and also Saving a/c.

I side over FD book with 1000b and Savings book with 100b.

That's the deposits.

Also ask clerk to photocopy this last page of bank books to show the transactions.

Also slide over 100b for bank letter.

They put both accounts on the one letter. 

It's simply proof that you are sole owner of the account and the balance. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not quite sure what you are asking.

This is what I do for banking requirements.

Easy at CW as the banks are on lower level.

Don't go to teller. Sit with one of the clerks that do general business. 

They know what you need.

I have FD a/c and also Saving a/c.

I side over FD book with 1000b and Savings book with 100b.

That's the deposits.

Also ask clerk to photocopy this last page of bank books to show the transactions.

Also slide over 100b for bank letter.

They put both accounts on the one letter. 

It's simply proof that you are sole owner of the account and the balance. 

Thanks, this info is also useful. But I mean your method how do you use fixed deposit for non-o retirement visa extension. For example, now I have 800k on saving acc. Next, I apply for a 3 months non-o visa and open a fixed deposit. How can I transfer funds (from Saving to FD) so that immigration approves it for visa extension?

29 minutes ago, Findthai said:

Next, I apply for a 3 months non-o visa and open a fixed deposit. How can I transfer funds (from Saving to FD) so that immigration approves it for visa extension?

To be clear.

You have a Thai bank savings account. 

So currently you do not have a Non O? 

The 800k only needs to be in bank account on day of application.

Just go to your bank and open an FD a/c.

Ask them to transfer the required funds into the FD account from savings a/c.

Tip: do not close the savings account as is very handy 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

To be clear.

You have a Thai bank savings account. 

So currently you do not have a Non O? 

The 800k only needs to be in bank account on day of application.

Just go to your bank and open an FD a/c.

Ask them to transfer the required funds into the FD account from savings a/c.

Tip: do not close the savings account as is very handy 

Yes. I have 800k on saving acc, but I don't have non-o visa yet and I can open the FD acc only with non-o visa (open the FD acc is impossible with my current tourist visa). So, I will get a 3 months non-o visa and open a fixed deposit in the same bank. If I transfer funds from saving acc to FD acc, will this not be a problem for extending my non-o? As far as I know, in order to extend non-o, the 800k must be in the bank account for 2 or 3 months before the date of extension. But in my case the funds will be transferred from one account to another acc (hopefully within one day) and I'm worried about it.