97 year old woman’s 3.4 million baht stolen by assistant in Thailand

image.jpeg

A 24 year old man has been arrested for stealing over 3.4 million baht (US$96,840) from an 97 year old woman. The arrest of the accused, Thanapat (surname withheld), was executed today (January 16), by Police Lieutenant Colonel Piyaphong Wongketuchai, the head of Ban Pong Police Station in Ratchaburi Province, along with his investigative team.

The stolen money was spent on a wide range of items, including a white BMW car, a grey Honda Forza motorcycle, and 23 government lottery tickets. In addition, over 140 online lottery tickets were purchased. Upon inspection, the authorities recovered 1.2 million baht (US$34,179) of cash, 22 baht weight of ornamental and bar gold, and all the purchased items.

The victim, Jit (pseudonym), who has no close relatives, hired Thanapat on December 30 last year, to assist her in withdrawing money from a local bank. However, yesterday, January 15, she discovered that a significant amount of money was missing from her account.

The village head, Chesda Chaonchom, accompanied Jit to the bank to verify the situation and later reported the incident to Ban Pong Police Station.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of Khao Sod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4

From the linked article, "Initially, Jit was hesitant about trusting Thanapat due to his not-so-good reputation. However, she had no choice due to her advanced age and lack of assistance."

It seems like there would always be a choice.  Specially if she didn't trust him to start with.

• Sad 4
  • Agree 1

My wife is illiterate and has to ask others to withdraw money fro the ATM for her. When I die she will receive a pension paid into the bank from the UK. This is exactly what I worry about. I was stuck in the UK during the COVID crisis and sent money to her. She had to ask 'friends' to withdraw it for her. She seemed to use a lot more than I expected.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

From the linked article, "Initially, Jit was hesitant about trusting Thanapat due to his not-so-good reputation. However, she had no choice due to her advanced age and lack of assistance."

It seems like there would always be a choice.  Specially if she didn't trust him to start with.

Sometimes there is no choice if no one else will help

20 minutes ago, john donson said:

why would she need to withdraw so much money ? was she about to play santa claus?  

"However, yesterday, January 15, she discovered that a significant amount of money was missing from her account."

• Like 1