Mailing meds from Thailand to the USA

bbko

My Thai wife here in the LOS has a Thai friend in the USA, and asked my wife to buy & mail her some weight loss meds.  I told my wife mailing meds into the USA is difficult and actually forbidden, the wife said it's weight loss tablets not actual medication.  For those thinking it's meth or cocaine or heroin, etc; it's not, the tablets will be purchased at any local pharmacy.

My question is, is it legally ok to mail weight loss meds from Thailand to the US?

3 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

Don't do it...

image.png.a4920f594fd96787c00cc891dc8c6d1b.png

Get arrested for mailing weight loss pills?  They would be declared on the box, how is that a criminal offense?

• Confused 1

May get problems with Thailand customs and USA.

They scan each end every package that gets loaded on the plane. 

You also have to declare it on the customs form? What are you going to do? Lie?

So done with dumb Thai women. Just tell her to shut her yapper

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, bbko said:

Get arrested for mailing weight loss pills?  They would be declared on the box, how is that a criminal offense?

Weight loss pills can be a dangerous drug (and many have been removed from sale).  First package would have to be accepted for mailing in Thailand which I suspect is highly unlikely (if it is will be with full ID requirements recorded).  You will be responsible in the end.

You might want to read over below - suspect drug you are talking about is not authorized in USA being reason for request - my advise is just say no.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_019.htm

• Like 1

Not totally relevant, but I get all my med's mailed each quarter from the UK.....lots.....there is always a Thai custom's sticker attached saying "checked"......not that that means anything here....it might just mean someone stuck the label on......anyway....never had a problems.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to mail meds from here to the US when my son lost his job and insurance. He needed Nasonex which cost him $90 per nasal inhaler. At the time you could but it here for about $7 dollars. I had no problems at all. I gave the meds into the PO here each time and they packaged it and I sent it EMS (I think) so sending 3 inhalers saved a good deal of money. Never had the package opened in the US, and never lost a package either....put on the package declaration they were medicines value $21. No duties payable either.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, retarius said:

I used to mail meds from here to the US when my son lost his job and insurance. He needed Nasonex which cost him $90 per nasal inhaler. At the time you could but it here for about $7 dollars. I had no problems at all. I gave the meds into the PO here each time and they packaged it and I sent it EMS (I think) so sending 3 inhalers saved a good deal of money. Never had the package opened in the US, and never lost a package either....put on the package declaration they were medicines value $21. No duties payable either.

Good to hear, thanks.  Meds in the US are waaaayy too expensive.

8 hours ago, bbko said:

It simply depends on whether or not the pills are legal in USA... I would guess that very few are - -  they really don't like you buying any meds from other countries... 

"In most circumstances, it is illegal for individuals to import drugs or devices into the U.S. for personal use because these products purchased from other countries often have not been approved by the FDA for use and sale in the U.S. If a drug is approved for use in another country but is an unapproved new drug in the U.S. it is illegal to import. "

https://www.fda.gov/industry/import-basics/personal-importation#UScitizen

In addition, it is quite possible the specific medication contains one or more substances banned in the US, in which case could incur serious legal consequences.

it would help if you would post the actual name of the medication. "Weight loss" pills cover a wide range of products. Some are just laxatives, others are seriously banned (and dangerous) substances.

• Thumbs Up 2

You can send them as weight loss vitamins and not medication.......Generally USA is very -very expensive country in medication .My first cousin who is professor at University in Washington DC for almost 25 years when he comes in Greece he takes two sutcases Panadol pills for headache(aspirin) because its box of Panadol cost USA$100 and much more expensive is in New York Manhattan -Bronx area.

• Agree 1