Selling car to Thai

So I'm selling an old car to a falang, but it will be registered in his GF name, he only has a tourist visa, and only stays 2-3 months a year. the car is a heap of S**t, but he wants to 'do it up', only selling for 10k to get rid of it. 

I won't be going to the Land Transport Office,

it would not pass any test.

is there just the one form I need to sign? 

I'm aware of copy of my PP/extension etc. Thank in advance.

This is the form I have that could be printed off. 

post-2109-0-91803800-1404879796.jpg.5daf8adbc7afbf2e7f5bf8ef30a6e4dc.thumb.jpg.914da924294737edf33a2defcc0a9bec.jpg

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Vehicle transfer and power of attorney are the two forms you need to avoid a visit to the LTD.

Thanks I wasn't sure if I needed the power of attorney. Are you positive about that?

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Thanks I wasn't sure if I needed the power of attorney. Are you positive about that?

Probably dependent on the actual LTD but in Chonburi defo needed.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Who could it not be sold ?

That is something I don't know, whether it has to pass an inspection or not, to just have the name changed. Guess He/She will find out, up to them not my prob. He will probably spend more doing all the repairs needed than to just buy an old second hand car. It is also up for a new LPG tank. I've done my best to explain to him all that is wrong, and I passed my final exams in the UK as a mechanic in 1970! But he thinks he knows more than me, so let Hassan get on with it.  

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2024 at 9:16 AM, brianthainess said:

is there just the one form I need to sign? 

Based on a fairly recent post I thought I remembered seeing you may need a CoR (certificate of residence) as well but that may also depend on the specific LTD office.

14 minutes ago, topt said:

Based on a fairly recent post I thought I remembered seeing you may need a CoR (certificate of residence) as well but that may also depend on the specific LTD office.

As Far as I know that is only if you want to register in your name when buying, I am selling so it's already in my name and as said selling it to a Thai.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

As Far as I know that is only if you want to register in your name when buying, I am selling so it's already in my name and as said selling it to a Thai.

Correct, letter of address is not required for transferring a vehicle out of your name, neither is it necessary to attend the DLT.

There are two phases of the sale...

1) Handing over cash in exchange for the car (a receipt will prove this and prove ownership).

2) Transferring registration. 

It is the transferring of registration is perhaps going to prove difficult. 

Op needs to write / sign over power of attorney form (document).

Op needs to sign over the car (Blue Book). 

Op need to fill out and sign a 'sale of vehicle' (document).

New purchaser then goes to DLT to process the transfer with his documents also. 

This is where there may be issues as the car is apparently not taxed, so they may want the tax and por-ror-bor insurance, to get this the car will need to be 'tested' and this is were there maybe to be issues if the car really isn't road worthy.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you not need a "release of liability" of some kind? 

That would be in the forms I have already posted.

The first form and the power of attorney, I would have thought. Once it is in her name end of.

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The first form and the power of attorney, I would have thought. Once it is in her name end of.

Assuming (I guess) the new owner actually completes the transfer. 

I'm not pretending to know anything about it, but if you do not go to the DLT how do you know it's done? 

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Op needs to sign over the car (Blue Book). 

Please explain, surely the forms take care of that. I will also not hand over the book until I get the cash, and will take photos of that along with the filled out forms. for my own personal proof/safety. I learnt that recently from buying my last car from a "tent" they took photo after photo. Even though they did the transfer for me using my pink card. I never attended the office.

Edited by brianthainess

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 12:18 PM, Ralf001 said:

Probably dependent on the actual LTD but in Chonburi defo needed.

On 1/23/2024 at 5:12 PM, brianthainess said:

Power of attorney stating what?

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

A POA is a legal document that grants authority to an Attorney-in-fact (the person who will be acting on your behalf) to perform certain acts or functions on behalf of the Principal (you).

• Agree 1

All done and dusted 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

That you are selling the car and I have crossed it and signed stating that

/                        Signed...            /

/for purpose of selling car only/  .... as I have also done on my PP copies.

/                                                  /

On 1/23/2024 at 5:17 PM, Yellowtail said:

Assuming (I guess) the new owner actually completes the transfer. 

I don't care I have carbon copies dated and signed by them, which IMO proves they brought it from me that day, and photos of me receiving the cash with me posing signing the forms. 

And a copy of the blue house book also crossed and signed : /for the purpose of selling a car only/, I actually didn't even realize my name is in the blue book.

On 1/23/2024 at 1:20 PM, brianthainess said:

Please explain, surely the forms take care of that. I will also not hand over the book until I get the cash, and will take photos of that along with the filled out forms. for my own personal proof/safety. I learnt that recently from buying my last car from a "tent" they took photo after photo. Even though they did the transfer for me using my pink card. I never attended the office.

Its been 5 years since I sold our last car (to a Thai, without going to DLT myself)...

I recall signing the Blue Book (although to be honest, I could be mistaken on this - its just something I remember doing, or rather, something I think I did)... 

Paperwork was prepared but I kept it in my possession (including blue book)....  We went to my bank and paid in the cash.

Then signed the paperwork and handed it over.

They drove the car away and that was that.

----------

The car I sold previous to that was to another foreigner.

He was a lot more vigilante but thought he could pay me after he received all the documents etc (he was a little paranoid)... That wasn't going to work for me....

... We went to the Bank, paid the cash into my account, and we went together to the DLT to make the transfer.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I recall signing the Blue Book (although to be honest, I could be mistaken on this - its just something I remember doing, or rather, something I think I did)...

You don't sign the cars blue book. I only sold it for 10k, so cash payment at my house, all witnesses on the POA were her BF and my wife. 

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:
14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You don't sign the cars blue book. I only sold it for 10k, so cash payment at my house, all witnesses on the POA were her BF and my wife. 

Yeah...   thats why I'm not certain...  

I remember signing the blue book.... But I think it was to sign it 'as the owner' which is something I'd never done at the beginning of ownership...   I think this is why I recall signing it when selling, because it was only at that time that I'd noticed it was not signed in the first place (by me as the owner).

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yeah...   thats why I'm not certain...  

I remember signing the blue book.... But I think it was to sign it 'as the owner' which is something I'd never done at the beginning of ownership...   I think this is why I recall signing it when selling, because it was only at that time that I'd noticed it was not signed in the first place (by me as the owner).

I don't think anyone actually signs the blue book, your name and address is printed in it, the only signatures are on the forms, but I'm to lazy to get off my ass to go and check my other cars book.

Edited by brianthainess

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I don't think anyone actually signs the blue book, your name and address is printed in it, the only signatures are on the forms, but I'm to lazy to get off my ass to go and check my other cars book.

I think the owner needs to sign the 'ownership' part...  If you haven't I think you need to before you can sell on the car.

image.png.94b435cbb4aa81e354c966f10215cea8.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1