Advice about memory setting requested

BenStark

My MB is Gigabyte B560M DS3H V2

CPU is I5 10400

Memory is 2 x 8GB Apacer Panther gold 2666 MHz and 2 x 8GB Hyperx Fury 2666 MHz

In the bios I have XMP enabled yet my memory doesn't run at the right frequencies.

Anyone can advise what setting I should apply

From CPU-Z

image.png.dacfb48f8ddb35c6efbb27d25c5fdae2.pngimage.png.b78c67917f79a7c1ff0d9cd9948b4c81.png

NZXT cam even gives worse details

image.png.251cccdfac9340362c097448c1ba2627.png

image.png.0977e975ac517d7a6b742aed452d684f.png

Edited by BenStark

As I see it, the motherboard should automatically feel the size of Ram, frequency and specs. However, that does not seem to be the thing here. It might be that the 2 different memories you have put to work does not play well together. If there is a chance, you should take it to a shop, and ask them to try with 4 of the same memory or 2 kits of the same memory.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

As I see it, the motherboard should automatically feel the size of Ram, frequency and specs. However, that does not seem to be the thing here. It might be that the 2 different memories you have put to work does not play well together. If there is a chance, you should take it to a shop, and ask them to try with 4 of the same memory or 2 kits of the same memory.

Taking it to the shop is not really an option because of the setup.

I added the Hyperx Fury today, previously I had only the 2 x 8GB Apacer with the same bios settings, and the same result

The frequency you see in CPU-Z is half of what you see in "DDR4-2666" where 2666 is the data rate in MT/s and not frequency. DDR is Double Data Rate. You get twice the data rate as the frequency. It's all working as it should.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

The frequency you see in CPU-Z is half of what you see in "DDR4-2666" where 2666 is the data rate in MT/s and not frequency. DDR is Double Data Rate. You get twice the data rate as the frequency. It's all working as it should.

Thanks but that goes over my head :-)

The memory is 2666 MHz memory, with dual rate, shouldn't it then show at 5332 instead of 1333?

And why one of them actually shows only 1066 MHz?

To avoid all confusion I have removed the Hyperx and this is with only the Apacer

image.png.a16c82aa007f3084861d7d442c60bf65.pngimage.png.785ba68ed23048e0d5156616b3355ca2.png

You are confusing the info in the Timings Table. You are looking at a single dimm in slot #2 there and the frequencies and timings under the various standards it can run under like JEDEC #5, JEDEC #6 etc. The SPD tab shows that the memory *can* do, not what it is currently doing. Look at the Memory tab.

Your ram is of standard DDR4-2666 which means it can do 2666 MT/s. It's Double Data Rate which means for each clock cycle it can do two transfers. So RAM that can do 2666 MT/s needs to run at 1333 MHz.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

You are confusing the info in the Timings Table. You are looking at a single dimm in slot #2 there and the frequencies and timings under the various standards it can run under like JEDEC #5, JEDEC #6 etc. The SPD tab shows that the memory *can* do, not what it is currently doing. Look at the Memory tab.

Your ram is of standard DDR4-2666 which means it can do 2666 MT/s. It's Double Data Rate which means for each clock cycle it can do two transfers. So RAM that can do 2666 MT/s needs to run at 1333 MHz.

Thanks again. I'm trying to follow you, although this whole thing is above my pay grade.

There are so many RAM settings in the bios that I don't see the woods through the trees.

So I understand default speed 133MHz for 2666 MHz RAM is normal, but why the Apacer shows default speed only 1066 MHz?

It's not 2666 MHz RAM. It's 2666 MT/s RAM. The default of 1066 MHz is without enabling XMP. XMP = outside of normal standards but supported by the dimm. You can see all the JEDEC standard modes are below 1333 MHz and the XMP one is doing the full speed for the Apacer dimm while the Kingston one does 1333 MHz already in the standard modes without XMP enabled.

Again, what you see in the SDP tab or under "default frequency" does not need to show what it's actually running under. For that, look at the memory tab.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Yeah, sorry! Got confused there. This is all correct. Please disregard my post above.

@eisfeld gave you some wonderful and concise info.  The only thing that I may add is that you might like to make sure that the matched pairs are in the correct slots for 'dual channel' mode.

Example: If you have 2 pairs of RAM slots, usually the left most slot of the left pair of slots will match with the left most slot of the right pair of slots. Make sure the matching RAM is in the matching slot.

In BIOS or UEFI just have all your ram timings set to auto. You will be good as gold.

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

It's not 2666 MHz RAM. It's 2666 MT/s RAM. The default of 1066 MHz is without enabling XMP.

Thanks for continuing the attempt to enlighten me

Can you explain what you mean with that?

According to the vendor, and Apacer, it is 2666 MHz RAM and XMP is enabled.

https://www.advice.co.th/product/ram-for-pc/pc-ddr4-2666-/ram-ddr4-2666-8gb-apacer-panther-golden

https://www.apacer.com/en/product/personal-product/detail/personal_dram/panther_ddr4

I also had to look up JEDEC, since it obviously is Chinese to me, and it tells me this

The JEDEC DDR4 standard supports various speeds, ranging from 2133 MHz to 3200 MHz and beyond.

The JEDEC DDR4 standard specifies several different speeds for DDR4 memory modules. The most common speeds are 2133 MHz, 2400 MHz, 2666 MHz, and 3200 MHz. These speeds refer to the maximum data transfer rate that the memory module is capable of achieving.

So why my JEDEC speeds are showing 1066 for the Apacer but 1333 MHz for the Kingston in standard mode, since both are supposed to have the same spec?

I took a screenshot of the memory tab with only the Apacer RAM in the MB

The Uncore frequency fluctuates between ~700 and ~3700 MHz

image.png.d9943cc5a2951e62fe35ce25c2732791.png

3 minutes ago, LS24 said:

@eisfeld gave you some wonderful and concise info.  The only thing that I may add is that you might like to make sure that the matched pairs are in the correct slots for 'dual channel' mode.

Example: If you have 2 pairs of RAM slots, usually the left most slot of the left pair of slots will match with the left most slot of the right pair of slots. Make sure the matching RAM is in the matching slot.

In BIOS or UEFI just have all your ram timings set to auto. You will be good as gold.

Yes Apacer is in slot 2 and 4, and Kingston is in 1 and 3.

XMP is enabled (profile 1), and all timings set to auto, but as I said, there are so many settings available that I don't see the woods through the trees

When it comes to RAM there are multiple different frequencies. The 2666 MHz is the bus frequency and vendors like to quote that. The actual ram chip runs at half the speed, that's what CPU-Z is showing. From the ram chip frequency we get 2 data transfers  (Double Data Rate - DDR) per clock cycle which is how you end up with twice the bus frequency. There are many standard modes (JEDEC) with different speeds - forget about them and the SPD tab.

For you what is important is to check on the Memory tab: DRAM Frequency (should be 1333MHz) and Channel # should say Dual (it does). So you are running at the full speed and in dual channel mode. You are getting the full potential of the RAM.

You can also see the RAM bus frequency in the task manger which should show 2666 MHz.

The bus frequency is a bit misleading. It's not a real frequency like CPU GHz or anything like that which usually shows how many clock cycles per second it's doing. With RAM bus speed they show how many data transfers they get per second which is more correctly stated in MT/s (mega transfers per second). "per second" is a Hertz. And so 1000 MT/s can be stated as 1000 MHz "frequency" but it's not clock cycles. CPU-Z shows actual ram chip clock cycle speed instead of the inflated data transfer frequency (bus frequency).

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1