Health Insurance is now required ?

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

This is the thread title  "Health Insurance is now required ?"

not what kind of policy is required.

So how else can health insurance be provided if not through a policy then, eh, Mr Clever Clogs??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

So how else can health insurance be provided if not through a policy then, eh, Mr Clever Clogs??

The question is about a Non O health insurance requirement, its a yes or no answer.

If the law says you need car insurance, you need car insurance, end of story.

I will treat your last words with the contempt they deserve.

On 1/25/2024 at 5:10 PM, newbee2022 said:

Sorry, but some things you stressed out are not ok. 

The health insurance will NOT increase every year but only in case of an issue/hospital. 

Health Insurance rates are based on one's age.  And yes it will increase as one gets older ...  Typically there are categories of age, with a few years in each category, so health insurance DOES nominally increase as one moves from one category to the next.  EVERY health insurance has this.  I recommend you go back and research this if you did not know so, because it IS IMPORTANT>

And in MY case my Health Insurance is heavily subsidized as part of my pension. When I get older, my health insurance does NOT go up. Rather my former employer (who provides my pension) picks up the tab for any increases.

If I were to give up my superior health insurance, to go with Thai health insurance, that would be a dumb move on my part, given the superior nature of my health insurance.

Also it makes definitely no sense to clinge on a useless health insurance/ref. your European or any other. 

Agreed.  EXCEPT its the Thai insurance that is inferior. ...FAR inferior to my European Insurance.

And also it makes no sense to do all those border runs if you intend to stay. 

It makes sense to LEAVE to invalidate one's OA visa, and re-enter to get a Type-O visa, to avoid being forced into inferior health insurance from a Thai branch. Many of us have done that.

In addition a Thai Health Assurance acknowledged by Immigration is not expensive, even you choose a coverage of more than 5 Mill. Baht.

it depends on one's age. And it (health insurance from Thai companies)  IS INFERIOR and more expensive (at my age of 70) than what I pay for my FAR SUPERIOR subsidized European heath insurance.

And you forgot, that all insurers run a business. Not charity. Not welfare.

But there are always people who like it complicated.

No. I did not forgot.

If you wish to play accusations, I can do that too (given your not understanding the situation of many here ) but in the interest of forum harmony I won't.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Health Insurance rates are based on one's age.  And yes it will increase as one gets older ...  Typically there are categories of age, with a few years in each category, so health insurance DOES nominally increase as one moves from one category to the next.  EVERY health insurance has this.  I recommend you go back and research this if you did not know so, because it IS IMPORTANT>

And in MY case my Health Insurance is heavily subsidized as part of my pension. When I get older, my health insurance does NOT go up. Rather my employer picks up the tab.

If I were to give up my superior health insurance, to go with Thai health insurance, that would be a dumb move on my part, given the superior nature of my health insurance.

Agreed.  EXCEPT its the Thai insurance that is inferior. ...FAR inferior to my European Insurance.

It makes sense to LEAVE to invalidate one's OA visa, and re-enter to get a Type-O visa, to avoid being forced into inferior health insurance from a Thai branch. Many of us have done that.

it depends on one's age. And it (health insurance from Thai companies)  IS INFERIOR and more expensive (at my age of 70) than what I pay for my FAR SUPERIOR subsidized European heath insurance.

No. I did not forgot.

If you wish to play accusations, I can do that too (given your not understanding the situation of many here ) but in the interest of forum harmony I won't.

The last sentence is the best. I totally agree.

However, it's not as you said. My Thai insurance does not increase and is of course acknowledged by Immigration. So it's not depending on age. But, in case of an issue/hospital it would increase. And if it is fun to do all those border runs (they won't be for free) ....I doubt it. I prefer to live hassle free.

But thank you for your comment, though nothing new.🙏

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

However, it's not as you said. My Thai insurance does not increase and is of course acknowledged by Immigration.

So you are saying you have a Thai insurance, that will never increase after a few years when you age and thus you move to a new age category.

What insurance company is that?

If you research the costs of health insurance, you will read the rates for health insurance are higher and higher dependent on one's age category.

This is common knowledge. 

So it's not depending on age.

I recommend you research this again.  Age DOES affect the price one pays for health insurance.

And if it is fun to do all those border runs (they won't be for free)

"ALL THOSE BORDER RUNS" ( run typed by you as plural to be spelled runs) ?  It only takes ONE run to invalidate one's Type-OA visa, re-enter, and obtain a Type-O visa.  Why do you think there is more than one run (as you did use 'plural')?

Edited by oldcpu
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

So you are saying you have a Thai insurance, that will never increase after a few years when you age and thus you move to a new age category.

What insurance company is that?

If you research the costs of health insurance, you will read the rates for health insurance are higher and higher dependent on one's age category.

This is common knowledge. 

I recommend you research this again.  Age DOES affect the price one pays for health insurance.

"ALL THOSE BORDER RUNS" ( run typed by you as plural to be spelled runs) ?  It only takes ONE run to invalidate one's Type-OA visa, re-enter, and obtain a Type-O visa.  Why do you think there is more than one run (as you did use 'plural')?

Obviously you got difficulties in reading and understanding. I sent you sufficient explanations already. So no need to go further. It's getting too boring and exhausting. Have an exciting weekend 🙏

26 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Obviously you got difficulties in reading and understanding.

Please be explicit.

Where ?

You claim your insurance company will not increase its rates when you age. I asked which company.  Please, which company?  I don't believe you.

You claim one must go on multiple visa runs when I noted ONE visa run to invalidate one's type-OA visa to switch to a Type-O visa.  Why more border runs?  Please explain. You have yet to explain.

And for the OP who started the thread - there is NO health insurance requirement (from a Thai branch of a health insurance company) if you go for a Type-O visa (and apply from within Thailand).  It (having a Type-O visa) makes your efforts to get Health insurance MUCH MORE flexible than being forced to use Health Insurance from a Thai branch in the case if one has a Type-OA visa.  Don't let misinformation of others misguide you.

Edited by oldcpu

On 1/24/2024 at 6:42 AM, Pattaya57 said:

I was going to get a non-O in Australia but found it almost impossible.

They list all of the approved Health Insureres to get the 90 days coverage, however only Pacific Cross offered 90 days and that was for 3.5 million baht coverage instead of only 400k asked for. All the rest were for 1 year to suit the O-A visa.

Quote for 90 days was 12,645 for age 41-55 and 17,428 for age 56-65

I went for the 60 day tourist visa with 30 day extension to get the same 90 days. This gives more time to apply for the non-imm O in Thailand and no forced insurance required

That is the way to go. Come as a tourist - get a property lease - go see local Immigration Office and ask what they need you to get to be able to apply for a 12 month O Retirement Visa. Insurance is only mandatory for O-A Retirement Visa applied for outside Thailand.

25 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Please be explicit.

Where ?

You claim your insurance company will not increase its rates when you age. I asked which company.  Please, which company?  I don't believe you.

You claim one must go on multiple visa runs when I noted ONE visa run to invalidate one's type-OA visa to switch to a Type-O visa.  Why more border runs?  Please explain. You have yet to explain.

And for the OP who started the thread - there is NO health insurance requirement (from a Thai branch of a health insurance company) if you go for a Type-O visa (and apply from within Thailand).  It (having a Type-O visa) makes your efforts to get Health insurance MUCH MORE flexible than being forced to use Health Insurance from a Thai branch in the case if one has a Type-OA visa.  Don't let misinformation of others misguide you.

Thank you