Nephrologist in Government Hospital, BKK

nofarang

Can anyone recommend a nephrologist in a government Hospital in Bangkok? I am diagnosed stage three renal failure (from Hua Hin hospital) and would like have a more in depth analysis of the root cause and possible treatment. I have already some experience with state run hospitals (in other matters) and would like to prefer one of those. Doctors usually speak decent English and I speak enough Thai to get around with the nurses. Maybe Sheryl has some good advice…

To be able to see a doctor of your choosing you would need to go through a government hospital "after hours" clinic as going through the public channel you have no choice of doctor and most care is provided by interns/residents in training.

The "after hours" clinic consultation costs can be almost as high as private hospitals, but the cost of tests etc will be much less.

I suggest you see Prof.Dr. Khajohn Tiranathanagul (various spellings to both first and last name transliterations,  including Kajon  for first name and both Tiranathanakul and Teeranathanakun for last name) at Chulalongkorn Hospital)

"Special Clinics".

(please ignore the underlining, I can't see to get rid of it)

https://chulalongkornhospital.go.th/specialclinics/

He is there on Sunday mornings and Thursday evenings (start from 4 PM onward).  3rd floor of the Phor Por Ror building which is large highrise on the corner of Rajadamri and Rama IV, directly connected by overhead walkway to both Silom MRT and Saladaeng BTS.

You have to make appointment first through the Call Center at least 1 day in advance 02-256-5193. They will give you an appointment number, make careful note of it.

And assuming you have not previously been a patient there, you need to start by going to the ground floor of the building to register and get a patient hospital card. Bring your passport, and show them your appointment number when you do as they will issue you both the hospital card and an appointment slip which you then show at the nurses' counter on the 3rd floor. Special Clinic starts issuing queue numbers at 4 PM.

The time of your appointment has little or nothing to do with when you will actually be seen. Be prepared for as much as a 5 hour wait and bring plenty of  reading material. Also bring a warm sweater, I was just there yesterday (different floor) and it was freezing cold.

BTW if the Hua Hin hospital diagnosis was based solely on eGFR, and your creatnine level and BUN were normal, it is may be a faulty  diagnosis. Happens a lot in small  Thai hospitals. Anyway see what the Prof. says.

Thank you Sheryl, I always appreciate your quick response and your comprehensive infos.

I am familiar how things work in government hospitals, anyhow, thank you for detailed description of processes, and esp. for the freezing environment, which I also experienced at the Institute of Dermatology the other day. So i will keep this in mind.

In HH hospital creatinine values differed a lot in several checks from 163, 1,53 and then 1,75. So still high.

eGFR was 45,08 an then 38,32

Ultrasonography showed kidneys in small size: 8.3 and 7.9.

It is time to have a more in-depth examination carried out.

Will try to contact chula the next days.

Thank you again, Sheryl!

• Like 1