Android TV Box

jimn

Hi guys. Does anyone have any recommendations for an Android TV box. I know about the Firestick but I prefer plugging direct into the box with an Etherley cable. The Nvidia I see is excellent but expensive. Does anyone know a good budget model? Last year I bought an H96 Max box which is useless, the WiFi signal is so weak on it. Thanks

Nvidia or google tv are probably the most reputable models with a ethernet connection. 

For sure, i would avoid any cheap generic brands. 

I was reading a report last week by a guy called troy from his troypoint website. 

He stated that most of these cheap tv boxes are produced and sold by a certain country and are riddled with malware that can hijack any device using the same internet connection. 

He recommended nvidia, google, amazon or any other respected brand. 

I have a firestick, and a mitv stick. 

Both work fine with my ais fiber wifi6 connection without ethernet. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, topt said:

Please explain why?

Some of the channels on IPTV services may show a green or distorted picture, because a codec is used which isn't supported by the processor.

You can work around by enabling software decoding, but then there may be other issues.

S905X2 or S905X3 doesn't have the issue

9 hours ago, BenStark said:

Some of the channels on IPTV services may show a green or distorted picture, because a codec is used which isn't supported by the processor.

You can work around by enabling software decoding, but then there may be other issues.

Thanks for that although I am a little surprised as it is a later processor and I have not personally seen the issue on my box.

1 minute ago, topt said:

Thanks for that although I am a little surprised as it is a later processor and I have not personally seen the issue on my box.

Yes I was also surprised, but I have tried several boxes with that processor and several iptv services/ That said it are only few channels so.

It also depends on which app you use, since some use EXO player by default, which is the built in Android player. Some apps also use software decoding by default, and then you will not have the issue either.

Which box and app are you using for your iptv?

10 hours ago, BenStark said:

Likely the older versions don't have the h/w to do the decoding and does software decoding by default. I have a couple of tox-3 x4 boxes and no issues. 

3 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Which box and app are you using for your iptv?

HK1 Rbox with 1GB lan. I tried a couple of IPTV services originally, and don't remember the issue, but as I relatively watch so little I decided not to shell out for any. I generally use Kodi now when either streaming or playing downloaded stuff. 

7 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Likely the older versions don't have the h/w to do the decoding and does software decoding by default. I have a couple of tox-3 x4 boxes and no issues. 

Like I said it are only some channels, not that many either, so you are maybe lucky and not notice it. If you use the Iptvsmarters or XCIPTV app, which use EXO by default, you may not notice it either.

I haven't tried Tox 3, and I actually suspect it may also be the OS that causes the issue, since most of those S905X4 boxes run official Android TV 11

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I have a KM2+ and it works well.

Don't know about 'delux'.

The specs are slightly different:

image.png.e88304554f94f543b56f6cf5cedeb694.png

Another good thing about Mecool boxes are that they are "Google certified" so no issues with Netflix or Prime Video apps, if you wish to use them.

The KM2+ sells for about 2.4K baht and the KM2+ Deluxe sells for about 4.6K baht.

By comparison, the NVIDIA Shield Android TV Pro (3GB RAM and 16GB ROM) is currently selling for about 16K baht.

• 1 month later...

I come across this thread a bit late, but anyway, I have been using MXQpro for some years without much issue, the Android firmware on it is pretty standard and most Google Play apps install on it. 

But it only has a slow, weak 2.4Ghz wifi, and I thought I upgrade to a better box. Unfortunately I rushed into buying a discounted X88 mini 13 - which I thought has a standard Android TV 13 software..., but even though it says it has that, it's a totally custom made 3rd party Android...!

Most Google Play apps are not available, and it has an app called Apthoid TV app to install copies/fakes of normal apps - I just found two versions of BBC iPlayer that installs from there and strangely works, but thd original from BBC is not available from store...! 

My question was, is there a way to install standard Google certified firmware on this box...? Or is it basically doomed...