Documents required to buy a New Honda Scooter

39 minutes ago, farang51 said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is no clarity on the length of validity of the Certificate of Residence - I always thought it was 90 days.

I was told 30 days. It does not say anything about validity on the Certificate of Residence, though.

You may well be right...     I don't have much to do with the CoR as I always use Yellow House Book as proof of address.

I do recall years ago (at CW Immigration Bangkok) they would only issue the CoR if I had submitted a 90 day report - it was valid for 90 days then (probably due to it being somehow linked to having done a 90 day report)... 

It makes sense that if a 90 day report is no long needed then the validity is less (i.e. 30 days as you state).

Anyway - easy enough for the Op to go in around the same time his bike is due for delivery.

On 1/25/2024 at 4:24 PM, Startmeup said:

Do I need all of these?

Screenshot2024-01-25at20_23_43.png.6ecb5fc8816c1db9d8c5434a7a4d6885.png

On this point... 

If I'm not mistaken, as of a few years ago Work Permits no longer contain the holders residential address, thus, this can no longer be used.

Additionally, a lot of Embassies / consulates have stopped their notarial services and won't provide the Affirmation of Residence.

The Certificate of Residence from Immigration is one of few options remaining.

I've put a deposit down. 200 extra to get the red plates so I went with that. They cant give any guidance when the bike will be here.

They said it could take up to a month or maybe even a bit longer. They said the last one that was ordered only took a week for delivery. I would have gotten a residency cert for when I got my drivers license. Not sure if I still have that somewhere or whether they took that at the time

20 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

I would have gotten a residency cert for when I got my drivers license. Not sure if I still have that somewhere or whether they took that at the time

Separate issue... Do you also have a Motorcycle Licence here ? (its a separate card from the driving Licence).

IF your Aussie Drivers License also has an endorsement for small bikes (50cc scooters etc) you may get away with being able to get a Motorcycle license straight away from that.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Separate issue... Do you also have a Motorcycle Licence here ? (its a separate card from the driving Licence).

IF your Aussie Drivers License also has an endorsement for small bikes (50cc scooters etc) you may get away with being able to get a Motorcycle license straight away from that.

I think its actually only for motorcycle not for car based on the picture of the bike on the back

1 hour ago, Startmeup said:

200 extra to get the red plates so I went with that.

There you go - a farang tax!

The red plates are owned by the dealer (like "trade plates" in the UK) and will be taken off and used for another bike when your permanent plate is issued.

Too late now, but I used Honda Thalang ("Nok") to buy an ADV last June and would totally recommend them. Cash plus passport plus CoR issued by Phuket immigration - I'm not sure if Patong issue them?

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

The red plates are owned by the dealer (like "trade plates" in the UK) and will be taken off and used for another bike when your permanent plate is issued.

Too late now, but I used Honda Thalang ("Nok") to buy an ADV last June and would totally recommend them. Cash plus passport plus CoR issued by Phuket immigration - I'm not sure if Patong issue them?

Yes can get in Patong. 200b I can stomach. I guess the labour to take the plates on and off!!
Do I need to pay for the permanent plate then aswell for another sting? They said there is no more charges in the dealership. 

I find everything is infinitely easier when you have a Thai with you when your doing all sorts of things like this.

I think its a case of its just too hard when they are trying to converse in a non native language and CBF

11 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Do I need to pay for the permanent plate then aswell for another sting?

I paid the quoted showroom price and that included almost* everything - delivery from Thalang to Kamala for me, my existing hire bike and the new bike, red plate, registration, some kind of insurance and substitution of the white plate when it was ready - *although they did cheekily charge me B100 for the holder. I got a Honda branded cover thrown in as well as a naff "Marvel" jacket.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

I paid the quoted showroom price and that included almost* everything - delivery from Thalang to Kamala for me, my existing hire bike and the new bike, red plate, registration, some kind of insurance and substitution of the white plate when it was ready - *although they did cheekily charge me B100 for the holder. I got a Honda branded cover thrown in as well as a naff "Marvel" jacket.

You must have gotten the Marvel edition ADV 160?

51 minutes ago, London Lowf said:
2 hours ago, Startmeup said:

200 extra to get the red plates so I went with that.

Its usually a deposit (or it is for cars anyway)...  and is returned when the plate is returned.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

You must have gotten the Marvel edition ADV 160?

Yes, the Captain America.

I didn't want it but they had it in the showroom and it was a three-six month delivery for a standard paint job. I was paying B6,000/month to rent an ADV150 and so it made financial sense to buy this kiddie version!

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 9:13 PM, gomangosteen said:

Check directly with the Honda dealer, though based on my experience as below, they may even be consistent across dealerships/provinces!.

I bought a Click 160 last month 19 December (Chanthaburi), at the second dealer I'd been to (first didn't have the ABS model I wanted), not surprisingly both dealers had an identical checklist of required documents.

• Thai driver licence (no, don't ask why, but it was a requirement - and I'd got my new one on the 15th)
  • Passport - she copied the relevant pages - photo page, visa;  I had to sign the copies
  • Letter of Residency from Immigration OR Yellow house book (I had the latter); also copied my pink non-Thai ID card 

A painless process, while she was doing the copying and completing forms for me to sign (incl insurance) I was being shown the bike and the electronic 'key' system by the workshop technician. Out of there in about 40 minutes.

What he said.

New Wave 125 last year at local Honda dealer:

• Photocopies of passport face page, and current visa or extension
  • Residency certificate
  • I was not asked for copy of rider's licence

Be aware that the bike will be given to you with red plates on it, pending the arrival of your plates (and green book) from Bangkok.  Mine took about one month at which time you will have to take you bike back to the shop to change out the plate and collect you green book.  Check the book to confirm that your name is spelt correctly.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Yes, the Captain America.

I didn't want it but they had it in the showroom and it was a three-six month delivery for a standard paint job. I was paying B6,000/month to rent an ADV150 and so it made financial sense to buy this kiddie version!

I dont know what the issue is with ADV 160 supply?
I must have rang 10 dealers and only one had any in stock and I want a black one so I didn't want what they had. 
There was 4 in the garage I just went to today but they were all ordered waiting for pickup. 
I am upgrading from another bike so I can wait until it gets here. Im hoping max one month but ideally 2 weeks.

How are you finding the bike and what way does it work from a break in and ongoing servicing POV?

Edited by Startmeup

3 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

ine took about one month at which time you will have to take you bike back to the shop to change out the plate and collect you green book.  Check the book to confirm that your name is spelt correctly.

Luckily the dealer I ended up going to is only a 5 minute drive.

6 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

I must have rang 10 dealers and only one had any in stock and I want a black one so I didn't want what they had. 
There was 4 in the garage I just went to today but they were all ordered waiting for pickup. 
I am upgrading from another bike so I can wait until it gets here. Im hoping max one month but ideally 2 weeks.

How are you finding the bike and what way does it work from a break in and ongoing servicing POV?

They're good bikes...  I suspect they're just so popular.

I wanted to get the ADV 350...   wait lists at every dealer I contacted were either 6 months, or simply 'cannot'...   I gave up and went with alternative options.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wanted to get the ADV 350...   wait lists at every dealer I contacted were either 6 months, or simply 'cannot'...   I gave up and went with alternative options.

I've seen a couple of ADV 350s in dealerships. Too big for my girl to use. They are nice though.
I dont see too many ADV 160s on the road.

Compared to Clicks and PCX there are way less ADVs driving on the roads.

Clicks coming out the Wazoo at every dealer.
I think they look ok but I want something a bit better for going on longer trips I think the ADV will provide that. 

Edited by Startmeup
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Honda ADV 160

There's a Youtube channel Life with Serg he's been touring around Thailand on a Honda ADV 160 - recently Kanchanaburi, Koh Chang, Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son Loop. Hasn't mentioned any problems except a couple of times he's said 'needs more power' but for a 160 he's done some impressive mileage.

I bought a Click 160 ABS last month - the ADV was too big for Mrs M and daughter (who'll be using it to get to uni from June, 26km a day). Only 1200km so far, suits our needs OK. 

Been very happy with the dealer we bought it from, accessories I ordered 19 Dec (incl topbox for uni books etc) - told early January due to NY - arrived/fitted on 26 Dec, had 1000km service / checkup two weeks ago and only charged for the oil, labour free. Unsure when I get to swap the red plate for a white one.

spacer.png

Edited by gomangosteen

10 hours ago, Startmeup said:

No inter-provincial dealer networking ... Chanthaburi Honda shops had the two Marvel edition ADV160s - Ironman and Captain America - plus standard ones (but didn't see black).

Seen a few ADV350s on the road but never in a dealership - maybe all pre-ordered?

32 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

Honda ADV 160

spacer.png

Isn't that a Click? As far as I can see on the internet, the ADV is not a step through.

I gave up buying a new scooter because I want a step through and I want a key and kick start. Apparently they do not make those anymore.

By the way, a Click 125i is fine for touring. I have been around Thailand a few times on mine.

2 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Isn't that a Click? As far as I can see on the internet, the ADV is not a step through.

I gave up buying a new scooter because I want a step through and I want a key and kick start. Apparently they do not make those anymore.

By the way, a Click 125i is fine for touring. I have been around Thailand a few times on mine.

Yes that is our Click 160 ABS  I wrote about in paras 2 & 3

Keyless ignition, no kickstart

16 hours ago, Startmeup said:

No im only back a week. I'll bring my girl with me and should be able to talk them around.

This is all new to me, I just expected they would come with red plates. If it comes with no plates I can still drive it out of there and if I get stopped (which is likely) I just say I just bought it and need to register it? I wouldn't mind choosing my own plate, whats the restriction in regards to that?

The bike has to be ordered. I was told it will take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. The residency cert is valid for only 30 days someone mentioned so I can see that catching me out but we shall see. I want to order the bike now and will get registration in the next 10 days, I resume that it will be ok to hand over all the paperwork at that point and not when I put the order/deposit down.

Just buy it in her name and then change the name to yours at a later date at DLT with a certificate of residence.

26 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Just buy it in her name and then change the name to yours at a later date at DLT with a certificate of residence.

The same document are require either way so why not do it right the first time?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

The same document are require either way so why not do it right the first time?

Because you seem to be having difficulties - you mentioned getting your girl to talk the dealer around.

I find it easier to do this, there are no misinformation such as "you need a work permit to buy a bike here" - I don't advocate keeping the bike in your wifes / girlfriends name, just let her buy it and just transfer the name at a later date, its standard procedure at DLT, you don't need to deal with clueless salesmen, everything is fast, you walk-in, get it on order, pay and done - no time wasted on Internet forums asking the details.

14 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Because you seem to be having difficulties - you mentioned getting your girl to talk the dealer around.

I find it easier to do this, there are no misinformation such as "you need a work permit to buy a bike here" - I don't advocate keeping the bike in your wifes / girlfriends name, just let her buy it and just transfer the name at a later date, its standard procedure at DLT, you don't need to deal with clueless salesmen, everything is fast, you walk-in, get it on order, pay and done - no time wasted on Internet forums asking the details.

This dealer that I went to yesterday never mentioned a work permit. 
It was luck on my part. I was doing nothing and found another dealer close-by that I hadn't been to and I said let's go for a drive.

They had 4 ADVs, each colour sitting there when I walked in and I thought to myself this is too good to be true.

It was, they were all allocated, a small dealership with very few bikes but they knew about residency cert. 

They actually showed me the cert that a Russian buyer had given them to complete a purchase and said I needed to get this from immigration. For anybody having the same hassles I will put a google maps locator to the dealer. Not only that they were equal to the cheapest price I have found in any other garage I checked.

https://g.co/kgs/DuT99zV

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Startmeup said:

I've rented Nmaxs and PCXs in the past and the ADV suits my riding better as I prefer a bike with firm suspension that handles well. However, I do think that it is a little over-priced when I look at the amount of bare black plastic compared to a PCX or Click.

I'm now approaching 8,000km. It's been serviced at 1,000 and 7,000 (a "Change oil" message comes up on the dash) and cost peanuts each time. I rode it gently (where possible) for the first few hundred km.

• Like 1