Pita warns Phuket may become a garbage hell if not addressed

snoop1130

29952.jpg

Taking to the floor of parliament for the first time in six months, Move Forward party-list MP Pita Limjaroenrat talked about the garbage problems in Phuket and Samut Prakan provinces, with a stern warning that Phuket could be renamed one day by tourists as “a haven full of garbage” if the problem cannot be resolved quickly and effectively.

The former Move Forward party leader said he spent quite some time during his hiatus from parliament studying the garbage problems in the two provinces and met with locals to listen to their views.

He said that the landfills in Phraekkasa Mai sub-district of Samut Prakan and the one in Phuket have the same problem. They cannot handle the sheer quantity of trash which arrives each day, leaving it to pile up and become a threat to health and a fire risk.

In Phuket, he said that about 800 tonnes of garbage is generated every day, but only 700 tonnes are incinerated, leaving 100 tonnes in the land fill. The resort island earns about 200 billion baht from tourism and tourism-related businesses each year, while the combined budget of over 10 local administrative organisations is only about 600 million baht.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Taking to the floor of parliament for the first time in six months, Move Forward party-list MP Pita Limjaroenrat talked about the garbage problems in Phuket and Samut Prakan provinces, with a stern warning that Phuket could be renamed one day by tourists as “a haven full of garbage” if the problem cannot be resolved quickly and effectively.

I think it achieved that a couple of decades ago... refuse is another problem

• Love It 1

IMO most of Thailand already is a garbage hell. As well as an air pollution hell because people keep burning their garbage, including plastics and everything. It’s really time for the government to step up and introduce a comprehensive nation wide garbage collection system.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, geisha said:

Quite right too. The Phuket authorities fail in every aspect. The roads are dangerous, lack of lighting for driving  and pedestrians, some places have no pavements at all, the hills around the south west are crumbling, the sea is becoming a tip , no public transport due to rogue taxi mafias, the list is endless. No wonder it is now also attracting the worst possible tourists, scammers , crooks and thieves from every part of Thailand. What once had beautiful beaches and surrounded by nature has been exploited, ruined and lost forever. Shame on Phuket authorities!!

Sounds same as Samui and Koh Phangan, at least it is heading the same way on a super high speed. So now only koh chang left to invade.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

The waste problem in Phuket has existed for many years and have mentioned this before.
There is a waste incinerator but it was known more than 15 years ago that it was already at maximum capacity.
And a few years ago I already saw that this was being talked about, and now again, and presumably again in a few years, but nothing happens.
Apparently there are different leaders there today than there were 25 years ago.

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

. So now only koh chang left to invade.

We send it off by huge stinking trucks on the ferry, I have no Idea what happens to it after that.

We also have mini skips for public use along the "Main'' road.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The resort island earns about 200 billion baht from tourism and tourism-related businesses each year, while the combined budget of over 10 local administrative organisations is only about 600 million baht.

hmmmm this is a head scratcher. i wonder where they could find some money to fund a great program to solve this.

.....forget it i will slap myself for this comment.

I have to admit the area we live the orbortor has done a pretty good job with garbage control, we go down the beach early morning there is whole army of workers sweeping up were we normally park there is 3 big wheelie bins right where people would walk off the beach, most people seem to comply 

We just have to get who ever is dumping <deleted> on the end of our soi to stop and walk 30 meters down the road were we have another 3 bins, I have a good idea who is doing it so I told my cleaner to have a word with them, just incase they are not aware there is 3 bins further down, 

• Like 1