British man dies in failed parachute jump from Pattaya condo

webfact

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

had he done base jumps before?

I read from another source, he jumped off this building several times before, and he had a friend on the ground filming this jump.

• Like 2

Another news article stated the deceased deployed an emergency blue parachute (shown in a photo on the ground) when the main parachute didn't open, bit it was too late to significantly slow his descent. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

asked a friend to film his jump from the condominium as online video content.

Crickey, must be good money in posting YouTube videos, I read lots of articles of these idiots dying creating content. 

Foolish YouTubers. 

Speaking of foolish YouTubers, how is '(my) your mate Nate' going? 

Is he still alive, last I read a pack of Thai guy's wanted to kill him. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

A person would fall 290 feet in under 4 seconds. Is that enough time for a parachute to deploy AND slow you down.

Not having a lot a lot of experience with that, just 5 jumps from 1500 feet and above.  I would say the parachute would have to deploy immediately after you jump.   Someone posted a video showing a guy jumping from the top of a smoke stack and it looked like someone may have held the drag chute (pulls the parachute out of the pack) pulling the parachute out as he jumped.   Might have only fallen no more than 25 feet before it deployed. 

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

Yeah.....I just can't feel sorry for people who get killed doing profoundly stupid stuff. 

Generally, a minimum safe altitude to jump is 2500 feet and most jumpers open their chutes at 2000 feet. This guy jumped from about 300 feet (judging about 10 feet per floor x 29 floors). Unauthorized entry into the building. Trying to get likes on his pathetically external locus of control personality for his online persona. 

He's (was) an idiot. I hope he wasn't married with kids. I feel sorry for his parents. 

My first three jumps for qualification with a National Guard Airborne company were from 1500 feet.   Jump qualified jumpers went out at 1200 feet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chongalulu said:

If he hadn't he shoulda started from a much lower floor and built up his confidence...

Poe's law

Do you mean higher floor, or are you joking ?

Edited by Thingamabob
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

You're  funny!   Back then, 1978 & 1979 when the jumps were made, I was 6' 3" and about 155-160 pounds.   Since then I have shrunk, expanded, and now I am 6' 2" and 174 pounds.  I was more hansum then too.  My wife lies and tells me I am still hansum.   

5 parachutes for 5 jumps to become jump qualified.    Jumped with two parachutes at a time.   The main chute and the reserve. 

Jumps 1-3 were from a Huey helicopter, jumping from 1500 feet above ground.  You had to work fast to get your reserve out if the main failed to open.   Somewhere in the vicinity of Houston, TX.

4th  jump was from a C-130 Hercules.  I don't know the altitude.  I forget where the drop zone was. 

5th jump was from C-141 Starlifter.  I don't know what altitude the was.   Drop zone was at Ft. Chafee, AR.  

All jumps were with static line.   

Only kidding sorry.

You're a braver man than me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, jimn said:

That doesn't show the jump itself. I have the full video which clearly shows the jump from start to finish (no gory stuff). The main shute never opens. Only the small shute that he can be seen holding in the video before jump. He then crashes through the trees. Very sad loss of life.

• Agree 1