British man dies in failed parachute jump from Pattaya condo

webfact

7 hours ago, AlexRich said:

These guys are incredibly brave to Base Jump. The only problem is that as humans, we make mistakes, and one mistake for them is normally deadly. RIP. 

Brave? Not sure that's the word I would use. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

British Social Media Influencer Parachutes from Pattaya Condo and Fatally Hits The Ground in Tragic Accident
By Tanakorn Panyadee

image.jpeg

Pattaya — A 33-year-old British man tragically lost his life when the parachute he was using malfunctioned after jumping from a condominium complex in Pattaya.

The tragedy took place on Saturday, January 27th, at an unspecified condominium complex in the Naklua sub-district of the Banglamung district, Chonburi province. Pattaya police and emergency responders swiftly arrived at the scene following a report received around 7:30 PM.

There, authorities found the lifeless body of a 33-year-old British national (name withheld pending family permission) sprawled on the ground near the condominium’s exit. The victim had suffered fatal injuries while clutching a blue parachute, which the police suspected he had deployed in a failed attempt to slow his descent. Authorities covered the body with a white sheet before transporting him to a nearby hospital.

During an interview with the condominium clerk, 33-year-old Mr. Kanet, it was revealed that the victim and his friends had gained unauthorized access to the premises, parking their car outside before scaling the building for a daring parachute descent. 

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-01-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

It never fails to amaze me why anyone would jump from a perfectly good air plane or in this case, a building. 

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Darwin was right. The theory of natural selection, means we all have to exhibit certain survival skills, to thrive in this world. Self protection is just one of those skills. Some have it, some do not.

I kind of understand thrill seekers and their mentality, but some ideas are risky and then some ideas are just absolutely dumb to an astonishing extent. Base jumping like this is crazy dangerous, I don't think a quick cheap thrill is worth sacrificing your life for. 

Fortunately you don't get to decide what someone else does with their life.

Governments do however and that is why many of us moved away from our Nanny States.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

"Influencer" So, I'm guessing he was a tourist? Not sure if being an "influencer" can get you a work visa these days, but who knows, as long as you keep your 90 days going properly!
But I'm guessing he was yet another example of a quality tourist.

Very sad for his family though... :(

• Thumbs Up 1

Guess he misjudged the time he held onto his throw chute and by the time it pulled his main chute he was too low for the main chute to open and stop his fall.
If he had been lucky he might have got snagged on one of the trees , but not to be .

4 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

closer to 15 seconds

Not correct.

Edited to include the link.

Example Calculations:

At t = 1 s
d = (0.5) * (9.8 m/s2) * (1 s)2 = 4.9 m

At t = 2 s
d = (0.5) * (9.8 m/s2) * (2 s)2 = 19.6 m

At t = 5 s
d = (0.5) * (9.8 m/s2) * (5 s)2 = 123 m
(rounded from 122.5 m)

Edited by billd766
edited to add the link.

4 minutes ago, incnoi said:

great luck that nobody else at the scene was injured by his carless jump.

His reckless actions could have killed others on the ground. Base jumping from buildings should be banned, unless there is a full ground safety crew, to cordon off the potential landing area. It doesn’t even sound like the building’s owner knew about this jump? 
Yes. I have massive sympathy for his family, but honestly this was a needless death. 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Charlest1971 said:

His reckless actions could have killed others on the ground. Base jumping from buildings should be banned, unless there is a full ground safety crew, to cordon off the potential landing area. It doesn’t even sound like the building’s owner knew about this jump? 
Yes. I have massive sympathy for his family, but honestly this was a needless death. 🤷‍♀️ 

Totally agree, but it's very difficult to enforce. BASE jumping from buildings or antennas is illegal but people will still go to great lengths to overcome any security in place and gain access.

• Like 1

"Scientists have described base jumping as the most extreme of extreme sports. It involves parachuting from fixed structures including buildings, antennae, bridges and cliffs.

By one calculation, there’s a 50 times increased risk of dying compared to skydiving."

Base jumping: what we can learn from some of the world’s most extreme athletes about overcoming doubt (theconversation.com)

An interesting link examining the minds of people who have a need to take these extreme risks that the vast majority of us can't understand.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AlexRich said:

These guys are incredibly brave to Base Jump. The only problem is that as humans, we make mistakes, and one mistake for them is normally deadly. RIP. 

Somehow I don't think "brave" is the correct word for it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Poor guy but he was aware of the danger.

29 floors is way too high,  he should have started jumping from the 3rd ... 4th .. and then work your way up when everything works.   I'd go back to the place where he bought the parachute from and ask for a refund.

• Confused 1

In the U.S. the typical height of a "Floor" is 10 feet. He went to the 29th floor which means he had 28 beneath so 280 feet, In Thailand the standard is probably 12 feet, I'm not sure but if so that's 336 feet. I did just a little looking online about how many feet it takes for a parachute to open. The one answer I will attached below says it depends on the type of jump and the parachute. Perhaps the jumper didn't know. 

It depends on what you mean by NEED to pull your chute. A BASE rig that’s packed properly and deployed properly can open pretty fast (100 feet or less). I’ve seen video of someone doing a BASE jump into a quarry filled with water from less than 100. He had just enough time to slow down before hitting the water. The guy helping him jumped in after him without a rig on and was fine. For most BASE jumping, 300 feet is the general rule of thumb, that gives you enough time for your chute to deploy and get to a safe place to land.

If you’re talking about a skydiving rig falling at terminal velocity, it takes a lot longer. I pull at 3,500 feet above ground level. People I know with a lot more experience pull at the same altitude, I’ve met some that go down as low as 2,500, but not many and everyone thinks they’re crazy. If anything goes wrong, I want time to cut away my main and pull my reserve before it’s too late. Depending on your equipment and how it’s packed, it can take around 500 - 800 feet to deploy, a hard opening will open faster, but that’s gonna hurt.

The last resort on a skydiving rig is an Automatic Activation Device (AAD). Mine is set to pull my reserve at 875 feet if I’m moving too fast. That gives me just enough time to pull my brakes and land were ever I happen to be. It’s a last effort to save your life and basically does it at the last possible second before you die.

• Agree 2