Thai Wife Needs Visa To Go Other Countries ?

Dear All,

I have some questions regarding to the visa to go other nearby countries. My situation is I am swiss citizen and legally married to Thai lady just early of this year. I would like to bring my wife to visit friends in Italy, France or other nearby countries. My wife said she needed to ask for visa to go those countrie. I am not sure about this.. Now she lives in Swiss and has got Permit B(marraige couple). Some friends said she doesn't need for asking visa as she can use her Permit B to go out and get in Swiss.. ???

Anyone has experiences, please advise..

thanks in advance.

Makmee

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

As your wife is still Thai she need a visa for travelling to Schengen Countries.

She has to apply at the embassy of the country wich she is entering first.

The only exception is Germany. If she is travelling with you (husband) she can get a Schengen visa at the border free of charge (takes about 20 Min).

Documents: Your Passport, her Thai Passport and Permit B, Marriage Cerificate (Familienbuechlein).

This Visa is valid for one entry only. It means every time you and her pass the Swiss/Schengen border she have to apply again. But after entering Germany she can travel to other Schengen Countries as long as she not leave the Schengen area.

Hope this information is useful.

mean

Hi

As your wife is still Thai she need a visa for travelling to Schengen Countries.

She has to apply at the embassy of the country wich she is entering first.

The only exception is Germany. If she is travelling with you (husband) she can get a Schengen visa at the border free of charge (takes about 20 Min).

Documents: Your Passport, her Thai Passport and Permit B, Marriage Cerificate (Familienbuechlein).

This Visa is valid for one entry only. It means every time you and her pass the Swiss/Schengen border she have to apply again. But after entering Germany she can travel to other Schengen Countries as long as she not leave the Schengen area.

Hope this information is useful.

mean

Please refrain from giving visa advise :o:D:D

She only has residency in Switzerland. She remains a Thai until she gains Swiss citizenship. As a Thai she needs visa's for most destinations in the Eu. The Schengen visa is a softer option. Good luck.

From personal experience I agree with the good Doctors orders.

I am pretty sure your travel agent can arrange this (mine did anyhow).

My wife and I live in switzerland although I am british she has a B permit. You do need a schengen visa but it depends on the Canton of residence. If you live in a canton bordering germany they will issue a visa at the german consulate in bern. Normally this takes 10 days or so. If you are not in a border region you have to get an invitation letter from a german resident or show hotel bookings etc for the duration of the trip.

Look at the http://www.deutsche-botschaft.ch/de/home/index.html website for details.

The germans do not insist on an officlal letter the french require the invitor to go tho the mairee for an official letter.

If you need any help email me via the forum.

If this is visa advice apologies but been there done that seen the movie bought the T shirt and all in the past few years

All the best

Ashley

BTW we live in aargau

Mean

Absolute bullshit

Ash

All the answers are correct. I even agree with the "bullshit" from ash if he mean my english.

Anyway. Let me clarify. There are different rules for applying for a visa. It depends on the Nationality, Country of Living and the Country you want to go. Fact is that Thai need a Visa for Schengen. It doesn't matter where they live.

1) Thai, living in Switzerland, wants to go to Germany:

Has to apply at the embassy in Bern. Call for an appointment, may have an invitaion letter if not married with Swiss or or an hotel reservation or reasonable funds.

2) Thai married to german, both living in Switzerland, wants to go to Germany:

Has to apply at the embassy in Bern. Visa available by post.

3) Thai (married or not), living in Switzerland at the border aera, wants to go to Germany:

Has to apply at the embassy in Bern. Call for an appointment, an invitation letter is definitly not needed. Proof of living near the border. Can get a Visa valid up to to 5 years (depends on the validity of the permit B or C).

see: Rundschreiben IMES (german)

4) Thai married to Swiss, both living in Switzerland, wants to go to Germany:

4.1) Has to apply at the embassy in Bern. Call for an appointment. See the link provided by ash. Or

4.2) At the border (visa free of charge) as I mentioned in my last post. Valid for one entry. (based on Freizuegigkeitsabkommen EU/CH Art. 3)

Freizuegigkeitsabkommen EU/CH

The German embassy will always issue a Schengen Visa. The first entry must be Germany.

If the first entry (or final destination) is an other Schengen Country then it has to be issued by this country.

As after calling the german embassy the waiting period for an appointment is actually nearly 3 months the option for Thai married to Swiss to get the visa at the border is an easy and comfortable alternative. It can be done as often as there are still empty pages in the passport available.

mean

called this morning interviews available in 2 weeks but not needed as you can use the consulate in basel dependent on Kanton of residence. Post normally 10 days maybe 20 if very busy.

If married to EU citizen same as for german no discrimination not even for the british.

Invitation not needed if married to eu citizen.

As to the border option never come across that one so I emailed the bern consulate should get a reply later this week.

If you get the visa from the german consulate you definitely need to get the entry stamp even if it means stopping at the border even if not stopped by the grnze polizei.

Finally if you really can get a single entry visa this would fill the passport pretty quickly I assume its a standard schengen visa..

Mean

Looks like I owe you an apology they will geve visa at the border if married with a swiss but recommend getting multiple entry visa from the consulate.

Also if and when switzerand ratifies the schengen treaty this problem goes away

RGds

ash