Degree 'legalisation' process and police check

Hi All,

I intend to teach English in Thailand next year, I'm currently taking a look at documents required for the work visa and work permit. For the legalisation of my bachelors degree, would I be right in thinking I need to get a photocopy of my degree certificate certified, then send the certified photocopy to Milton Keynes via the following link and finally send to the Thai London embassy? Get your document legalised: Apply for legalisation - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) 

Does this also need to be done for the transcript? My understanding is it will be required, but thought I'd question it.

Also, in regards to the police check, would a ICPC certificate be likely to suffice? If so, does anyone know how old the certificate can be when submitting the application. 2 months? 3 months? 6 months? I've read conflicting information regarding this - As I plan to switch from a tourist visa to non immigrant when in Thailand, 6 months would make my life a lot easier...

Thanks,

Aaron

As no-one else seems to be offering anything helpful... I haven't been through the process for Thailand, but I've done it for other countries, and yes, it was exactly as you describe. 

I've never been asked for transcripts anywhere. That's more of an American thing. Not all British universities even provide them. But if you've been told you need them, you probably do. In which case, you will need to have every page certified. 

Most places seem to accept the basic Disclosure and Barring Service certificate now. Some still want an ACRO certificate, but if you are working with kids, I'd think an ICPC would be OK, too. If it's anything like other aspects of Thai immigration, the exact details will be extremely vague and largely at the whim of whoever deals with your paperwork on the day,

Does the document to be legalised have to be paper based or can it be done electronically? I know there is an option to choose but I am wondering if schools in Thailand will accept an electronic version?

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED WHEN APPLYING FOR A THAILAND NON-IMMIGRANT B VISA (Teaching)

1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than six months

2. Completed Visa application form

3. Recent (4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

4. Letter of acceptance from employing institute or school in Thailand.

5. A Letter of approval from the relevant government agencies:

6. Office of the Private Education Commission

7. Office of the Basic Education Commission

8. Degree & Transcript or diplomas/certificates

9. School license

Some embassies/consulates require a Police certificate verifying that the applicant has no criminal record issued by authorized agencies in the applicant's country.

Note: *This list is not comprehensive; the document process is complicated. Embassy & Consular Officers always reserve the right to request additional documents when they deem it necessary, & Immigration Officers reserve the right to refuse the issuance of a visa.

Note: *It takes about 7-14 days to process the documents for the Non-B Visa. Once the documents have been processed, a teacher can go on a visa run to apply for the Non-B visa from a consulate in a neighbouring country.

Note: Non-formal schools have different requirements to teach English in Thailand than the ones listed above. The requirements above are for formal Thai schools.

And then:

THAILAND VISA EXTENSIONS

Non-Immigrant B visas are extendable for a period not exceeding one year with the correct documents. In general, for extensions of Non-Immigrant B visas, the Immigration Office in the province where you reside is responsible.

Note: *An extension for a Non-B visa cannot be applied until the teacher's license and work permits are acquired. The application for a Non-Immigrant B visa extension is only possible in person, and a representative from the school/company must accompany you. Also, a Non-B visa can only be done during the last 30 days of the initial 90-day visa.

Also:

THAILAND TEACHER’S LICENSE

A Teacher's License is required to teach in a Thai school, except for universities and private language schools. A teaching license is a 5-year license that looks much like a driving license.

The TCT, a Thai Government Department (Thailand Teachers Council), is responsible for issuing the Teacher's License.

A full five-year teacher's license is only issued if you have a degree in education or a PGCE or Teacher's License from your home country. You must also complete a Thai culture course administered by an accredited provider before the TCT will issue you a teacher's license.

If your Bachelor's degree is not in education, then a 2-year temporary permission/waiver can be issued by the TCT. The license renewal will be every two years if you don’t move schools.

Applicants who wish to apply for the two-year waiver to teach without a full license must have a degree from a recognized university. The degree can be in any subject and does not have to have any relation to education whatsoever.

In Thailand, if you are not a holder of a passport from the UK, USA, Australia, Canada, or New Zealand, you will be required to take a TOEIC test.

The TOEIC Test Score is needed to demonstrate your English Proficiency level. The TOEIC Test can be taken at centres across 160 countries, including Thailand. Go to kidsenglishthailand.org/blog//toeic-test-thailand to read more about the TOEIC Test in Thailand.

Note: *Your school/recruiter should make the application to the TCT, and you should only be asked to provide and sign documents. The application cannot be submitted until the teacher has the initial 90-day Non-Immigrant B visa.

A Thai Temporary Teacher's License and Thai Temporary Teacher's License Waiver.

THAILAND WORK PERMIT

A work permit allows a non-Thai citizen to work in Thailand as a skilled professional. A work permit is required to teach abroad and be able to work legally in the Kingdom of Thailand. Once the work permit is received, the individual must work only with the company named in the work permit. The duration of a work permit typically matches the term of your contract.

Note: *A work permit cannot be applied for until a teacher has the initial 90-day Non-Immigrant B visa and the teacher's license or TCT waiver has been granted.

https://kidsenglishthailand.org/blog/understanding-thai-visa-categories-employment-document-process

Enjoy. There will be someone along soon to help you circumvent doing it correctly I'm sure. :wai:

• Thanks 1