Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Bank account issue - Refused

Have been in Thailand continuously since 1993 - Lived In Sattahip for 29 years - Throughout that time I have always had a THai bank account

I have always rented a property usually renewable yearly

I have been married to a Thai woman and been divorced

Last Friday I travelled to roi et province as my girlfriends family live there I had already arranged a new lease on a house in Roi Et

I have a 1 year Retirement visa obtained in Pattaya last October

I went to Bangkok Bank to transfer my account to the local branch in Roi Et

Firstly the bank told me they can't do it until I get a form from Immigration - did that 500 Baht lighter - I asked is that the only thing i Need - she said yes that is all

Next day arrived at bank with form , passport, bank book - was told by some snooty matron like woman that was not enough and that I needed the land document of my girlfriends parents - an original document - rather irrate I said what if I came alone - she said that they wouldn't give me a bank account after 30 years with a Thai bank account and a i year visa and the permission form form Immigration

Anyone at there explain why this happened -

JGV

• Sad 2

Wanted to add that if relations with the BKK branch at Roi Et already soured, all the more motivation to try elsewhere.

You'll need to deal with them in the future, and it won't get better.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Try another bank, or a different branch of the same bank. 

It could be the manager or the clerks at that particular location aren't aware of the procedures for opening accounts for foreigners.  It could be (if you're a US citizen) they don't want to deal with IRS requirements. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

For future reference, 1 of my bank accounts was opened at Krungsri in BKK. 

I can make deposits, withdraws ( used 4 different Krungsri branches ) and got my bank card replaced,  when it was necessary 1 time in KORAT.

I am going on over 10 years Retirement Extension.

I too have had success having accounts in Bangkok and another one in Mukdahan with Krungsri. I've been quite happy with the bank too. About 4 years. Of course it's prudent to have at least 2 accounts. One with a small balance for ATM and purchases use and another with your main holdings (for visa extensions, etc)...that one I never use for purchases or ATM withdrawals.

Edited by sagra
  • Like 1

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do. If you want the same account with the same number at a different branch then it cannot be done. Part of the account number is for the branch that the account belongs to. If you are opening another account and you want to transfer the money from your old account then just open an account. Don't confuse the bank by mentioning transferring anything, just open the account and transfer the money once it is opened.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, udontomi said:

they said they could not allow  a farang to have accounts at two different locations.

The lame excuses we hear in Thailand, especially upcountry, are almost unbeleivable. As others have said, just try another branch or different bank.

FWIW: I have two Kbank Accounts, one upcountry where my ex-wife was from and the other account here in Bangkok. With Kbank (at least), it doesn't matter where the account is held as all regular services available from anybranch (such as issuance of statements and new ATM cards in my experience). One branch in Bangkok told me that to change address on the upcountry account I would have to travel 900kms to that branch! I simply called head office and was able to change address by phone and email.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:26 PM, JGV said:

That is where it went wrong. As @alanrchase has pointed out account numbers are branch specific and if you need a local account just open another.

When I built my house a few years back the PEA wouldn't allow direct debits from outside the area. I went to the bank thinking I could just transfer the account but it wasnt possible and I just got another account. It wasn't a problem as I already had an account and came in handy some years later when I started dealing with immigration.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:26 PM, JGV said:

Have been in Thailand continuously since 1993 - Lived In Sattahip for 29 years - Throughout that time I have always had a THai bank account

I have always rented a property usually renewable yearly

I have been married to a Thai woman and been divorced

Last Friday I travelled to roi et province as my girlfriends family live there I had already arranged a new lease on a house in Roi Et

I have a 1 year Retirement visa obtained in Pattaya last October

Firstly the bank told me they can't do it until I get a form from Immigration - did that 500 Baht lighter - I asked is that the only thing i Need - she said yes that is all

Next day arrived at bank with form , passport, bank book - was told by some snooty matron like woman that was not enough and that I needed the land document of my girlfriends parents - an original document - rather irrate I said what if I came alone - she said that they wouldn't give me a bank account after 30 years with a Thai bank account and a i year visa and the permission form form Immigration

Anyone at there explain why this happened -

JGV

Surprised that they didn't say take out an insurance policy for 4000 and we can do..

That's what happens when you try in Pattaya.

But TBH immigration say any commercial account is accepted.

Sadly a law unto themselves.

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

One branch in Bangkok told me that to change address on the upcountry account I would have to travel 900kms to that branch! I simply called head office and was able to change address by phone and email.

You may have changed the address on the account but you didn't transfer the account, as in the OP, due to it being branch specific.

My bank account in the UK has been transferred twice due to branch closures but the account number remained the same as it is not branch specific. What changed was the IBAN and SWIFT codes which are branch specific in the UK.

Retail  banking in Thailand uses 8 char SWIFT codes which, unlike the 11 char codes used elswhere, do not have the branch code so that is picked up from the bank account number.

3 hours ago, BenStark said:

Indeed there is no need to move your account, since you can do all administration at wherever branch

The only reason I could argue with your statement is that an out of province account will be charged 15-20 baht per ATM transaction even though at BBL ATM. If that isn't an issue to pay the small fee per transaction then I agree with your comment.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 12:37 PM, Morch said:

No need to overthink it.

Try another branch, another bank and you may get a totally different answer.

IO is the same, just not as easy to change.

It is possible to sort these things at the Bangkok Bank head office in Bangkok (from my experience), but might not be worth the trouble, especially if you have to deal with the same person in the future.

Sometimes a phone call from head office can make a big difference, they refused to open an account for my disabled mate, using thumb print only, after speaking to them via e-mail, at 11am, at 4.30 they turned up at My House. I then took them to visit my mate. 

certificate of residence from embassy

did wonders for me,  krungsri, scb, even bangkok bank

refused me for years with bull extrement like WORK permit

not with certificate,  bangkok bank took my original

my s.h.i.t embassy , which i asked if I could have 2 copies,  well with a stamp

as they did the work once...     asked twice full rate .... so I said just one, 20 euros...

I moved to a new province and as above the notion of 'Transfer account " does not exist.

I could have opened a new account in the new province but then I would have to change all the transfer via SWIFT info on my US accounts.

So the only real problem is the 15 baht ATM fee (which I use sparingly) and the new province bank has to contact the old province bank to get the required reports for 65K+ plus per month for their once a year retirement extension. But they have said no problem to do so. 

4 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

I moved to a new province and as above the notion of 'Transfer account " does not exist.

I could have opened a new account in the new province but then I would have to change all the transfer via SWIFT info on my US accounts.

So the only real problem is the 15 baht ATM fee (which I use sparingly) and the new province bank has to contact the old province bank to get the required reports for 65K+ plus per month for their once a year retirement extension. But they have said no problem to do so. 

yeah it is weird they even ask money to transfer from same bank group to another province, as if they are like a franchise ...

normally the apps don't have those withdrawal costs.... cardless atm withdrawal

4 hours ago, john donson said:

yeah it is weird they even ask money to transfer from same bank group to another province, as if they are like a franchise ...

normally the apps don't have those withdrawal costs.... cardless atm withdrawal

Yes but at least for now I prefer not to use ANY financial online apps.

• Like 1