Mountain Bike In Pattaya

Richb2004v2

I have started using my wife’s mountain bike recently. I use it to ride the 20km’s or so to the beach and back and have really enjoyed it. It’s an alternative to running and so far I have felt safe. It is very pleasant actually and now I would like to get a bike of my own. I don’t want to get serious but maybe after a while venture off into the tracks. I am thinking of a bottom of the range Trek, GT or Mongoose. I just wondered if anyone had seen any good bargains recently around Pattaya. I figure around 8,000 Baht.

Hi Richb2004v2,

for 8000 Thb. you can buy an entry level Trek bicycle. I think Trek offers good value for the money in Thailand. There is one shop on Tepparasit road, where you can take a look.

If you drive from Jomtien on Tepparasit Road towards Sukhumvit Road it is around 1.5 km on the right side past a 7/eleven. This shop usually offered me around 10% discount from the list price.

post-31788-1185078941_thumb.jpg

If you are willing to drive to Sattahip, there is a small shop near the new Tesco. They also sale Trek bicycles, usually they don't have much in stock but can order within 1-2 days.

I always buy bicycles there, they give 20% discount on the list prices.

Hi Richb2004v2,

for 8000 Thb. you can buy an entry level Trek bicycle. I think Trek offers good value for the money in Thailand. There is one shop on Tepparasit road, where you can take a look.

If you drive from Jomtien on Tepparasit Road towards Sukhumvit Road it is around 1.5 km on the right side past a 7/eleven. This shop usually offered me around 10% discount from the list price.

post-31788-1185078941_thumb.jpg

If you are willing to drive to Sattahip, there is a small shop near the new Tesco. They also sale Trek bicycles, usually they don't have much in stock but can order within 1-2 days.

I always buy bicycles there, they give 20% discount on the list prices.

Thanks for that. Actually Sattahip is better for me as I live in Ban Chang which is only ten minutes from there. I might take a look today. Is the shop easy to find? Any shops in Rayong would also be good.

Where do you get to on your bike? I would love to use a mountain bike in the countryside, but would not know where to go.

The shop on Thepprasit - is this the one a few buildings before the Go-Kart place on the left (going East)? I have had good service there - very friendly couple, but little English.

Very cheap bikes can be bought in Big C and Tesco-Lotus, but mostly in Thai sizes (small frames). If you are 6' plus (1.80m) tall, then your knees will tend to stick out a bit.

Just before the lights for Naklua haeding out off town on the other side of the main drag is the alternate ( To Siam Country Club Road ) way around to Lake Mabprachan. At this turn off is a very good bike shop where the owner is honest and speaks good English.

Sorry not in town at the moment, but from memory Crocadile and 1000 year park sign posted at the junction.

Edited by suiging

Thanks for the advice and directions everyone. I checked out both the shop in Thappasit Road and the one in Sattahip.

They both had good stock, with the Pattaya one having a bit of a better range. The prices were also good in both, and much cheaper that UK retail by 40-50%. In the end I bought from the Sattahip shop as it was the cheaper of the two and they included a trip computer thing (690 baht), water bottle, seat bag, T-shirt and other bag, plus they are only 20km from my house rather than 35km. I ended up spending slightly more than planned but only by a few thousand baht. I went with a Gary Fisher Wandoo at a price of 13000Baht. The same bike is 330 GBP (22500Baht approx.).

I now need to find people to bike with and places to go in the Sattahop/ Rayong/ Pattaya area. Any takers let me know.