Thai government bonds

Hi all,

Seeking guidance on how to purchase Thai government bonds.  A little detail about me below and why I would like to purchase these:

• I am not currently living in Thailand but want to move long term later this year; I'm under 50 and so do not qualify for a retirement visa.
  • I purchased a condo in Bangkok about 10 years ago with some money I came into from an inheritance - its appraised value means I have about 2/3rds of what is needed for an investment visa.
  • I would like to top up with government bonds to meet the USD500k needed for an investment visa (I meet the other conditions needed for this visa).  This is probably the best way of getting to 500k without making another real estate investment
  • I have a bank account in Thailand 

Does anyone know how to purchase these? Can they purchased the whole time or do you need to wait for them to be auctioned.  Can a foreigner on a tourist visa purchase? And when the bonds mature can the original principal be remitted out of Thailand if I have the foreign exchange slips showing the original remittance into thailand to purchase the bonds? If anyone has any practical experience buying these, especially in order to qualify for the investment visa, and can share insights would be massively appreciated? I recognise buying thai government bonds isn't the most conventional of investments but for my current situations and needs (i.e. obtain a visa) this is the best route to take 

1 hour ago, Dan SG said:

I purchased a condo in Bangkok about 10 years ago ... its appraised value means I have about 2/3rds of what is needed for an investment visa.

The condo's current value is irrelevant.  You need to show that you've transferred 10 million baht into Thailand.

You can buy Thai bonds in the secondary market through a registered broker.  However it would be simpler and safer to open fixed deposit accounts with a bank or banks.  The value of a fixed deposit account can't fall below the amount of money you put in.  Bonds, however, can lose value meaning you might not have sufficient value to maintain the visa.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Foxx said:

The condo's current value is irrelevant.  You need to show that you've transferred 10 million baht into Thailand.

You can buy Thai bonds in the secondary market through a registered broker.  However it would be simpler and safer to open fixed deposit accounts with a bank or banks.  The value of a fixed deposit account can't fall below the amount of money you put in.  Bonds, however, can lose value meaning you might not have sufficient value to maintain the visa.

Thanks.  Presumably, though, that would only surface a renewal point - which I think is every 5 years.  I don't think they are monitoring fluctuations in value of the bonds - if they were used to fund some of the USD500k - and would revoke the visa if it dipped below USD500k?