Chainsaw sharpening

sometime

I always used one of these. Because this is what I had. I only cut about 2-4 chords a year. 

spacer.png

The one pictured in the OP might be OK but it depends on the quality of the cutters displayed. 

Edited by VocalNeal

I have sharpened a lot of chains so far in my life.

Also used these gadgets but the chain almost never gets as sharp or stays sharp like a new chain.

Most important imo is the file!Use a new file often and keep the angel the same.

Also very important to file down the rakers using a flat smooth file.

The chain can be as sharp as it could be but if the rakers are too high you will not cut anything.

Now i only use a chainsaw to trim trees here but i used to cut and split a lot of wood every summer to heat the house in the winter.

He who makes his own firewood warms himself 3 times!

• Like 1

I have found it much less taxing to take the chainsaw to a shop where it can be sharpened with good equipment, by professionals.

Rule # 1 - never let a chainsaw blade touch dirt. It's the quickest way to dull the teeth.

I found a reason to buy many power tools for my condominium renovation. But until now no reason to buy a chainsaw - if possible with a 2-stroke engine. Let's think a little more about possible reasons to purchase one. 😉 

• Confused 2

A few years ago a friend was looking to buy a chainsaw to clear some land in Cambodia for his wife,s family.

He had some difficulty and needed some sort of permit?

Apparently due to all the illegal logging.

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I found a reason to buy many power tools for my condominium renovation. But until now no reason to buy a chainsaw - if possible with a 2-stroke engine. Let's think a little more about possible reasons to purchase one. 😉 

You will probably have a hard time finding a 4 stroke chainsaw in Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaideedave said:

A few years ago a friend was looking to buy a chainsaw to clear some land in Cambodia for his wife,s family.

He had some difficulty and needed some sort of permit?

Apparently due to all the illegal logging.

It all depends on the size of the bar, same law in Thailand

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sometime said:

It all depends on the size of the bar, same law in Thailand

As far as I know? if you cut wood on your own property, they is no limit to bar size.

But, if you cut wood on someone else's property or say beside a road the bar size is 12 inches, that is why you see so many 12-inch bars around on chainsaws ,and if you buy a new chainsaw, it is normally fitted with a 12 bar.

The guys with the big 36-inch jobs should all be licensed.

Re sharping, I use a file with a guide to get the angle right, and another guide for the rakers both available on Lazada, and my saw when I brought it, is a Chinese job, it was fitted with a Chinese chain, crap, found a place near me sells genuine Stihl chains, makes a big difference.

Do not ask me about the legality on the saw in the photo, home made from an 7inch angle grinder motor, bar is 36 inches, have seen one being used, planking some trees!, as far as I know he is still alive!

RIMG0920.JPG