Children Where Visitor To Thailand Is Long Stay & Has Guardianship

Interesting question has arisen in two flavors. In both cases, the person visiting Thailand has guardianship and custody of a child.

1) My fiance will be bringing her 23 year old sister. Obviously once married my wife can stay as a dependent on my Retirement visa, but can the child? What if I become the guardian? Can the child go to public school? Would going to school allow them their own visa if the other option is not available?

2) My friend is coming to study in a Thei language school. She is bringing her nephew, a very skilled football player that West Ham United Thailand 13-17U team would like to go to the school and play on the team. They can not offer a visa for this, so can he stay on his Aunt's ED visa? Could I take guardianship and put him on my Retirement visa?

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, SailingHome said:

...1) My fiance will be bringing her 23 year old sister. Obviously once married my wife can stay as a dependent on my Retirement visa, but can the child? What if I become the guardian? Can the child go to public school? Would going to school allow them their own visa if the other option is not available?...

Who is the child in this scenario? How old is it and what is its nationality?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SailingHome said:

...2) My friend is coming to study in a Thei language school. She is bringing her nephew, a very skilled football player that West Ham United Thailand 13-17U team would like to go to the school and play on the team. They can not offer a visa for this, so can he stay on his Aunt's ED visa? Could I take guardianship and put him on my Retirement visa?

The nephew can get his own non-ED visa and one-year extensions under the clause 2.8 or 2.9, depending on the type of educational institution.

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=804079

• Like 1

Apologies. All people involved are from the Philippines. I am from the USA on a retirement visa.

While this is still a good question to have answers for others, things for us have changed and we are no longer needing answers. The school will take things for the Nephew, and the sister is actually going on to a scholarship program at home 😃