The "Exodus" of European Farangs, The Trap.

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Where in the article does it discuss or even mention government involvement in the use /overdosage of two perfectly legal drugs. 

I suggest you renew your your tin foil hat! 

Yes, legal drug for kill, is a little difference, but I doubt you understand the difference because you are too smart.

Edited by BE88
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

Yes I too am an American retiree on a govt pension (lucky I got it when it was good and with govt health insurance (not cheap either) and I hear from friends in he US and family, yes the picture is not very good.  Added to the normal inflation and the COVID (over 500 pharma billionaires created during the pandemic) recovery, are the 300K illegal immigrants pouring in monthly over the southern borders which means that all the democratic controlled cities have to rapidly increase the public taxes to pay for housing, food, schooling, travel etc for the illegal migrants.  Citizens of states like California and NY are fleeing by the hundreds of thousands yearly because the taxes are so high and the average person cannot even afford to buy a house anymore.   For example in San Franscisco, Calf, there are no houses available under a million US dollars.  Also, the cost of living in the US causes over 600,000 US workers to live in Mexico, drive to the border and enter the US to go to their work place every morning and then back to Mexico as the work day is done!  I much prefer to live here in what I considered paradise in 2005 when I retired - yeah it isn't perfect but it is still paradise in comparison in my opinion.  Married to a Thai and we had plans to take our daughter to the US for college, got accepted, got scholarships but due to the backlog of immigrants in the US, it took over a year to get my wife's approval to take our daughter back for college...so instead she is now a student at the #1 university in Thailand - yeah Thailand, doing an arts degree so that sheet of paper will mean the same just about anywhere!  Wife and I are happy, daughter is super happy, doing well in college - a great life here if one considers some of the alternatives!

I totally agree with most of what you said. I've been spending a lot of time in California over the past 30 years, and everybody that I know that can afford to leave has left, with the exception of a couple of guys who are making so much money they can't afford to leave. LOL. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, swissie said:

In Europe, an increasing number of pensioneers relocate to "third world countries" as the pension benefits will not allow for a "decent-living" in their home countries anymore. (Political discussions concerning this matter are in full swing in Europe).

THE TRAP: Those undercapitalised "pensioneer-fugitives" have not the financial means to cover lenghty hospital costs nor are they able to pay for any private health insurance.

Only conclusion: Unless you have a fat wallet, stay in your home country once you have qualified yourself as "an old men" with limited financial resources.

- There was once a movie "No country for old men". Unless one has a fat wallet, Thailand is also just a "No country for old men".

Hopes, of finding financial relief by the "Thai-Family" or the Embassy of the home country in case of financial emergency are usually dashed quickly.

A tropical Paradise without a fat wallet is not available. Nowhere. Have known a numer of undercapitalised Farangs, claiming that upon their demise, they will die in their bed in Thailand. But those were exactly the ones that have run up astronomical hospital bills in the end. Much to the disadvantage of the Thai Hospital and Thai Society.

Again: Unless well capitalised, "Thailand is no country for old men". No matter how young your Thai Wife is.

Heeeeeeres Swissie everybody! Time for another Biiiiiiiiiig helping of his mirthlicious misery!

Screenshot2024-02-12at16-14-27miserableoldman-GoogleSearch.png.ee06f6eeeaa9b5bd506431c6e2f90daa.png

Cue intro music and applause, followed by deafening laughter as "Swissie", lifting his face to the camera, utters his hilarious catchprase: "My life is **** and yours should be too"

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Please provide  credible links/sources to the above!

PS; Where do you buy the tinfoil for your hat?

" credible links/sources", would be very difficult to come by, as governments have ways and means of hiding what they don't want people to know. On the other hand, look at the number of elderly who were discharges from hospitals into old peoples homes. How many of them are known to have died? It was into the thousands. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, swissie said:

Unless you have a fat wallet, stay in your home country once you have qualified yourself as "an old men" with limited financial resources.

A few can have it all. Wine, women, song, non-stop carpe diem yet still end up on top. For the average person, it takes some discipline, smarts, and hard work to plan for a comfortable old age. The sooner the planning starts, the better.

I've known a wide variety of expats.

Some HAD a fat wallet in Thailand but then managed to spend most of it and are now practically destitute. They might argue better destitute in Thailand than well-off in the UK. You may find a few of these lying in common wards in Thai gov't hsps. Others continued working in Thailand and either have Thai SS or can afford self-insurance AND a new BMW SUV. Some enjoyed themselves in Thailand thoroughly, then went home for that last critical medical care and died there. Some decided to end it all early, for example, one who taped himself in his bathroom with a charcoal burner. And some just smoked and ate themselves into an early heart attack. German pensioner seemed to get a lot refunded on his medical expenses from his German gov't/company insurance. Not rich, but frugal, owned his own condo, cheap used motorbike.

One Brit, a former pipe fitter from Sussex, in early 60s, after boasting he never used condoms ("and I've never 'ad a problem, knock on wood," as he rapped his knuckles on a plastic table), contracted AIDS. Very funny bloke. Thai neighbors cared for him in his room, lying on a mattress on the floor, until he had to leave for a ward in Banglamung Hsp. His end came quickly and his ashes were scattered in Pattaya Bay, where he'd like to be. He adamantly refused from the beginning to return to the UK, though his brother and wife would have taken him in. 

So people manage to get by but, yes, planning helps an awful lot IF you want to reside long-term in Thailand. Income stream, savings (at least 2 million, 4 better), taking care of your health and fitness, avoiding extravagances, etc.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

It depends on what one enjoys. I have never been interested in possessions to impress friends, relatives, and neighbors. I prefer buying established, reliable technology to being a lab rat for the latest gadget.

I have eaten some very high class food, but can equally enjoy a simple steak. My main indulgence has been the sport of golf.

I really enjoy women, I just wish they were not so damn expensive.

Find a cheaper one. What are you paying now?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, swissie said:

Those undercapitalised "pensioneer-fugitives" have not the financial means to cover lenghty hospital costs nor are they able to pay for any private health insurance.

However, those hospital costs may not occur until the 80s or beyond, if you diet & exercise (or have the genes of George Burns). So that would be a good run with which most can be happy. Me, I have Thai SS, but I never really need it.

On 2/12/2024 at 4:55 AM, Grecian said:

Disagree.

If I were (uk example) a 67 yr old 40k Thai bht a month state pensioner. I'd take my chances and live healthy in thailand for as long as I lasted. 

Many pensioners live very isolated lives in the uk. Better to be in thailand and accept the risks.

Quite a few come here and are equally isolated..

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

At least one member here is married to an immigration officer, I'm 99% sure he gets free medical.

Having worked here since 2004 (crikey, that long!!) I have the Thai social (plus employer provided health insurance). You can continue it once retired for a fairly nominal fee. It's not perfect but it's affordable.

Crossy, I can confirm that my wife, her parents, our children and I qualify for free healthcare as she is an Immigration Police Officer.

Each time I visit our local Government hospital it costs me 50 baht for my 3 month’s supply of medication, which retails over 24000 baht. 

This at least compensates for the near zero salary she receives, which has never recovered from the reduction imposed due to Covid reducing the number of tourists to contribute to the fines pot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Not sure what the silly reasoning behind this is, for a lot of more simple healthcare, this is no issue to pay in cash, even with a small pension. For bigger things, one can simply fly back home anyway. People who reason like the OP, limit themself, all their life, and miss out on the best things in life.

25% of guys die before even making it to 65 in the first place. People should learn to enjoy life more instead of saving for a 5% chance of becoming 90+

For bigger things, one can simply fly back home anyway.

Not from the NHS you can't. If you don't live in the UK I understand you are not entitled to NHS free treatment.

Besides, if you have a stroke or anything requiring hospital treatment, most will never afford the cost of a medical evacuation on a commercial airline.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, uttradit said:

How about people do what suits them.

Sure. But that doesn't change that OP is spot on.

You need wise planning and money to retire in Thailand. The recent changes in Thai immigration rules are consistent with this reality. Farang ok, but no "Farang kee nok". 

Edited by Ben Zioner

On 2/12/2024 at 4:29 AM, AlexRich said:

I'm not sure that Thailand is a place to grow old, whether you have sufficient funds or not.

Perhaps if you have married a Thai lady and have a family there are at least children who will make sure that you are okay. In that respect you are in much the same situation as anyone at home. 

However, if you have came to Thailand as an older person and simply hitched up with a girlfriend or got married then you might not have the support when you need it. They might view you as a liability that has served their purpose. And you'll be found on Beach Road Pattaya, not knowing your own name, and wearing an adult diaper.

:hit-the-fan:

It will be warmer & cheaper here so they will last longer.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/12/2024 at 8:08 AM, BE88 said:

What Thailand has not done is that their culture still respects elderly people, while in Europe an elderly person is the main license plate to be eliminated with low pensions at the limit of physical food survival, hoping that they will die soon.

Thailand is no different in this respect than other countries. The "younger" generation leaning towards entitlement as opposed to respect.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/12/2024 at 4:29 AM, AlexRich said:

However, if you have came to Thailand as an older person and simply hitched up with a girlfriend or got married then you might not have the support when you need it. They might view you as a liability that has served their purpose. And you'll be found on Beach Road Pattaya, not knowing your own name, and wearing an adult diaper.

If you don't even know your own name, why would it matter where you were or what you were wearing?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/12/2024 at 2:09 AM, swissie said:

THE TRAP: Those undercapitalised "pensioneer-fugitives" have not the financial means to cover lenghty hospital costs nor are they able to pay for any private health insurance.

As I have stated before if 3m baht don't cure you in a good gov't hospital, then it's probably all over anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In Europe, an increasing number of pensioneers relocate to "third world countries" as the pension benefits will not allow for a "decent-living" in their home countries anymore. (Political discussions concerning this matter are in full swing in Europe).

Only conclusion: Unless you have a fat wallet, stay in your home country once you have qualified yourself as "an old men" with limited financial resources.

- There was once a movie "No country for old men". Unless one has a fat wallet, Thailand is also just a "No country for old men".

Hopes, of finding financial relief by the "Thai-Family" or the Embassy of the home country in case of financial emergency are usually dashed quickly.

A tropical Paradise without a fat wallet is not available. Nowhere. Have known a numer of undercapitalised Farangs, claiming that upon their demise, they will die in their bed in Thailand. But those were exactly the ones that have run up astronomical hospital bills in the end. Much to the disadvantage of the Thai Hospital and Thai Society.

Again: Unless well capitalised, "Thailand is no country for old men". No matter how young your Thai Wife is.

Please specify what is a FAT wallet, How much are you talking about otherwise you are just fearmongering.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't know how anyone can still smoke in Australia, tobacco is insanely expensive. IIRC, $60 for a pack of 20.

IMO if the only way a person can enjoy themselves is with drugs, fags and booze, that's a pretty sad existence.

Yes it's crazy when a wrap or two of speed/ice is cheaper than cigarettes, that's OZ government thinking for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not from the NHS you can't. If you don't live in the UK I understand you are not entitled to NHS free treatment.

And how does the NHS know you don't live in the UK? Passports are not mandatory.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Yes, this could happen. A friend of mine ended up like garbage the last three months of his life. On the 2nd day after funeral his widow asked for his German pension and a month later she got a new partner to enjoy her new life with a Thai man.

Good for her. My wife has already told me if she dies, to get another lady to 'take care of me' she has also told her adult kids not to be angry with me if I do. I have told her the same.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you don't even know your own name, why would it matter where you were or what you were wearing?

People with dementia don’t know who or where they are, terrifying enough, and they still get hungry and feel pain. I guess you were joking? I can’t think of a worse end to your life, but for some this will be it. 

I’m hoping for a “Mexican suicide” - falling asleep in your chair like the stereotype Mexican in a western, and not waking up.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Please specify what is a FAT wallet, How much are you talking about otherwise you are just fearmongering.

Not quite that simple.

50 year old with 100 baht.

70 year old with 400 baht.

Can be argued they both have the same (to demonstrate the time-value of money).

So the fat wallet needs an associated age.

• Confused 1

Fat wallet meaning that you have a sizable enough nest egg of savings to deal with emergencies, which is what I have always done. I keep $8,000.00 - $10,000 US in liquid funds in an emergency fund in my US bank at all times, and I have a mutual fund I can tap as well. Outside of that, my social security income is tiny by US standards, but supports me nicely here. So I agree, it's risky business to come here without some funding to cope with emergencies, although I wouldn't call it a fat wallet in terms of income. I should add that I have rarely had to tap into that fund, although presently I may have to spend some money, 50,000 baht or $1500 US, on a prostate biopsy to screen for cancer because of a high PSA and a bladder infection. If I need prostate surgery I will return to the US for Medicare coverage. Meanwhile the sister of a good friend had a compound fracture of the knee (tibia) from an accident and they are just working class folks with no money and now out of work, I was able to send my friend 19,000 baht to help with a 30,000 - 50,000 surgery bill. (I have known her over 10 years so I can trust her, she has never asked me before) I also started a go fund me to cover the remainder. My financial planning for emergencies at this point in time included a nice dividend payout from my mutual fund, so I was lucky in being able to cover my own medical plus help out a friend. 

Edited by Jonathan Swift
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

It matters a lot, dementia patients can get very frightened and confused if they are not in very familiar surroundings.

My former wife has dementia. My son gets called about once a month to travel to where she lives, because she has forgotten her keys ( or thinks they have been stolen ), or is out walking and gets lost.

One time, she was lost 100 meters from her house.

IMO my son is the one constant in her life she remembers.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Not quite that simple.

50 year old with 100 baht.

70 year old with 400 baht.

Can be argued they both have the same (to demonstrate the time-value of money).

So the fat wallet needs an associated age.

Did you miss some zeros out?