Getting to know Thailand

Getting to know Thailand  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm an Ubon fan. Love that long train ride. Nong Khai second (another nice train ride), Nan third (great bus ride). 

The rest are a bit blah, but to play: Udon (the only soapie I ever went to), Khaephang by dint of being in the beautiful but unvisited middle, Korat for at least trying to be a downscale Chiang Mai, and Khon Kaen for being a traffic circle in search of a town. 

I want to see what the towns south of Ayuthaya on the train line are like for a possible relo up the road. I read a thread here about Nonthaburi and every poster had moved two stops north to something else-buri.

2 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

I'm an Ubon fan. Love that long train ride. Nong Khai second (another nice train ride), Nan third (great bus ride). 

The rest are a bit blah, but to play: Udon (the only soapie I ever went to), Khaephang by dint of being in the beautiful but unvisited middle, Korat for at least trying to be a downscale Chiang Mai, and Khon Kaen for being a traffic circle in search of a town. 

I want to see what the towns south of Ayuthaya on the train line are like for a possible relo up the road. I read a thread here about Nonthaburi and every poster had moved two stops north to something else-buri.

Not much between Ayuthaya and Bangkok. Short train ride.

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's all the same. We call it "up-country".

thailands-rice-farmers.jpg

That photo is used in more than a few news-blips in a bunch of countries in Africa, SEA, PI :coffee1:

Apparently pinch off a 2007 upload to Flickr, unless sold to stock photo site.

Edited by KhunLA

Asian Hotel -been in some films, beautifully ugly and they have the train link to the airport (without leaving the hotel). Elvis act on Sat night.

Muslim area, so double the chill and meat on a stick factor. A sprinkling of Time Out-type restaurants. Like, 2 stops down from Ari.

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That photo is used in more than a few news-blips in a bunch of countries in Africa, SEA, PI :coffee1:

Apparently pinch off a 2007 upload to Flickr, unless sold to stock photo site.

Oh, thanks for the valuable information. I take it with me.

• Sad 1

I thought the OP's alter ego, bignok, had been all over Thailand.

Perhaps this is what lawyers call a fishing expedition.

I have probably driven through Kaphaeng Pet without even realizing it. The others, yes.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have probably driven through Kaphaeng Pet without even realizing it.

His Kahphaeng Pet obsession continues.

Last year, we laughed about a monger blogger who called KP a secret wonderland of karaoke bars and disco's, teeming with (as yet) untouched good girls. He was game. If he went, we would have heard about it.

'Can't fault a guy who loves Thailand and wants to live in Thailand for asking questions about Thailand.

He asks about places where the costs are low and the girls might be friendly. It's a noble but possibly quixotic quest. How is it worse than flogging Cambodia versus PI for the millionth time?

I like when someone in Roi Et tosses out a few deets, even tho all the nowheresville's sound the same: "Great wet market, bad pizza, the farang bar closed during Covid". 

Short version: A done to death topic is still better than looking in here and finding no new topics.

2 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Costs aren't always lower in smaller cities. 

Yeah, I never get this thinking, you save $200 on rent and 10 baht on a pineapple.

And then you just drink yourself to death while waiting for you wife to turn off the sex.

4 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Yeah, I never get this thinking, you save $200 on rent and 10 baht on a pineapple.

And then you just drink yourself to death while waiting for you wife to turn off the sex.

You need a non drinking hobby in any city. Maybe easier to find in a larger city.

45 minutes ago, perconrad said:

I have been in all provinces except Bueng Khan, Pattani and Narathiwat. 

Bueng Khan is on the holiday list next month together with a trip to Laos.

Bueng Kan is best reached via Nong Khai Road. The other way not so good.

Live in Nong Khai.

Seems the only difference between here and home in Canada is the weather.

Go to work.

Take the kid to school.

Get groceries.

Tend the garden.

Cook dinner.

Do dishes.

Do laundry.

Catch up on news of the day.

Go to sleep 

Repeat.

8 minutes ago, rct99q said:

Live in Nong Khai.

Seems the only difference between here and home in Canada is the weather.

Go to work.

Take the kid to school.

Get groceries.

Tend the garden.

Cook dinner.

Do dishes.

Do laundry.

Catch up on news of the day.

Go to sleep 

Repeat.

Hope it gets better

17 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Hope it gets better

555 all good. No rat race, quiet, easy going, relaxed lifestyle. Spiced things up this evening and had a glass of wine. Had to calm the nerves after finding a spider.

On 2/14/2024 at 2:51 PM, uttradit said:

Bueng Kan is best reached via Nong Khai Road. The other way not so good.

Thanks for the information.

About 2 years ago we were holidaying in Nakhon Phanom and tried to go to Bueng Kan, but the road was closed, so this time we will follow your advice and take the road from Nong Khai after we have been in Vientiane.

5 minutes ago, perconrad said:

Thanks for the information.

About 2 years ago we were holidaying in Nakhon Phanom and tried to go to Bueng Kan, but the road was closed, so this time we will follow your advice and take the road from Nong Khai after we have been in Vientiane.

I recommend 3 whale rock and wat phu tok. Also waterfalls. Nice area. Relaxed town but I like it. There's some nice restaurants on river.