Using Bangkok bank union pay debit card overseas

My wife and I will be travelling soon to Cape Town S Africa and my wife will no doubt be using her debit card.

Does she need to notify Bangkok bank of her intended dates of travel?

That piece of junk hardly works anywhere in Thailand. F'all chance of using it abroad.

Go see them and trade it in for a Be 1st Smart Card which is Mastercard debit. The cost is 300baht but they refund any un-used months on the old card 7 days later, so if you just had an annual fee recently deducted still not a problem. 

5 hours ago, mfinasi said:

That piece of junk hardly works anywhere in Thailand. F'all chance of using it abroad.

Go see them and trade it in for a Be 1st Smart Card which is Mastercard debit. The cost is 300baht but they refund any un-used months on the old card 7 days later, so if you just had an annual fee recently deducted still not a problem. 

I now understand that Union Pay is accepted at many ATMs in Cape Town and that is from my brother with whom I have just spoken to and resides there.

Think before you post or if you don't know, don't post at all.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, anchadian said:

I now understand that Union Pay is accepted at many ATMs in Cape Town and that is from my brother with whom I have just spoken to and resides there.

Think before you post or if you don't know, don't post at all.

So you're going to rely on ATMs, pay ATM fees and carry cash everywhere for everything, instead of being able to transaction in shops, restaurants, entertainment venues, public transport and so on with  a recognized provider like Visa/Mastercard which can be sorted before you go. You better hope you don't end up in venue that doesn't accept cash - like Starbucks in Thailand for example. 

Yeah definitely think before you post... People with attitudes like yours I hope don't come back.. 

Edited by mfinasi
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What did Bangkok Bank tell her?  You're going to rely on guesses from AN posters for something that vital?

In my dealings with Bangkok Bank , which are extensive , I would not believe anything they told me about something they probably know nothing about.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, anchadian said:

As you, so succinctly, said, "Think before you post or if you don't know, don't post at all".

"UnionPay services since December, 2008
Local service hotline 00-800-800-95516

UnionPay cards are accepted at almost all merchants and ATMs in South Africa".

https://www.unionpayintl.com/cardholderServ/globalCard/jp/global_3/10030332?type=1#:~:text=UnionPay cards are accepted at,and ATMs in South Africa.

2 minutes ago, NE1 said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What did Bangkok Bank tell her?  You're going to rely on guesses from AN posters for something that vital?

In my dealings with Bangkok Bank , which are extensive , I would not believe anything they told me about something they probably know nothing about.

My experience is the exact opposite, but you believe what you want - I was addressing the OP.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, anchadian said:

My wife and I will be travelling soon to Cape Town S Africa and my wife will no doubt be using her debit card.

Does she need to notify Bangkok bank of her intended dates of travel?

I used my Thailand-issued Visa debit card internationally, e.g. Down Under without problems. The only place where it didn't work was joke-airline Air Asia's website. I would presume that Union Pay is the same.

Don't use it abroad! 

Union Pay is good system while you're in Asia. It is Chinese banking system. 

How they add-up % is horrible. Seriously 2 unfair exchange rates and withdrawal from foreign ATM.
Hell!

• Thanks 1