Baby thermometer recommendations

marke985

About 16 months ago I vouched financially to help raise a baby in our household.  He's mostly taken care of by a team of old ladies all related to each other.  Common practice here on Issan.

Recently he got sick and had a very high temperature.  I was shocked to learn no one had a thermometer as he felt really hot when I held him.

The doctor told them he should of been brought in sooner with such a high temperature so I would like to buy a community thermometer for the babies in the area but know nothing about this.  Are baby thermometers different than adults?

I would like to purchase one off Lazada due to its ease, but I couldn't tell you the difference between the 30 baht or 3000 baht thermometers.

Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The main difference is that, obviously, you cannot take a baby's temperature orally. And not very easy to take axillary either plus those are not so reliable.

best option are the type that go into the ear. Baby won't like that either,  and wiggle and scream (especially if an ear infection is source of the fever!) but it's over pretty quickly.

Good ones cost about 1,500 baht on Lazada and you'd need extra probe covers as well.

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The main difference is that, obviously, you cannot take a baby's temperature orally. And not very easy to take axillary either plus those are not so reliable.

best option are the type that go into the ear. Baby won't like that either,  and wiggle and scream (especially if an ear infection is source of the fever!) but it's over pretty quickly.

Good ones cost about 1,500 baht on Lazada and you'd need extra probe covers as well.

Are these 'electronic' thermometers?

A mercury one up the bum works well, but do not use orally immediately after.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Are these 'electronic' thermometers?

A mercury one up the bum works well, but do not use orally immediately after.

Yes, electronic.

Rectal thermometers are hard to use on a squirming baby and there are risks if used incorrectly, my sense is that the users would be old ladies not necessarily well schooled in how far to insert etc.

Hence my recommendation is for ear thermometer as the  safest approach.

• Thumbs Up 1

I recommend using axillary measurement because it's more accurate and reasonably easy. You just have to hold the kid’s arm.

The mercury thermometer is the most accurate if measured correctly, but it's too hard for grannies, so no.