In Thailand: OK to eat steak tartare?

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No problem whatsoever. I have been eating raw beef here for over 20 years. Such as all from the Thai style raw beef they dip in spicy sauce, and tartare to carpaccio.

Try that raw pork in blood covered in flies like they serve in Isaan.  Let us know how it works out.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Hundreds of thousands have eaten raw meat at Japanese and Italian restaurants in Thailand and never have been ill. Do you actually deny this?  Or is it simply YOU don't? 

Perhaps their gut grew up with that type of grub, eh.............😉

I would not touch it (anywhere).

The few times I have been food poisoned outside Asia, has twice been due to raw beef.

One of these times completely knocked me out.

You have to go by your own experience, how sensitive stomach do you have, etc

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am asking about the quality of the butchery, and the preparation of the dish,

I don't eat steak in Thailand unless it is pork. Tartare or not. 

But, if you are looking for kosher - probably not.

9 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Let the scaremongering commence. I am an over 20 years of proof it is not a big chance or especially dangerous to eat raw beef in Thailand. Now, let´s read all that are going to tell me I have been lucky for over 20 years. Sorry guys! Never won the lottery.

It is accepted among statisticians that a sample of a single person is fairly useless in establishing correlations of events.

It's like me saying I am a two pack a day smoker, who has never had COPD, emphysema, or lung cancer, therefore smoking is not dangerous.

The ancient Greeks did note Hubris is invariably followed by Nemesis.

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Larb moo/gai is raw meat?  Are you sure about that?

I guess they mean Goi - Raw Beef Salad. Anyone eating raw Gai or Moo needs their head examining.

I'm with @Gottfrid - I dont have a problem with raw beef, its quite tasty - not everyday, just some occasions at busy Issan restaurants.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, tgw said:

the main difference is in how the animal is slaughtered.

meat from professionally grown and slaughtered cattle is fine, but the risks associated with home-grown cattle and home slaughtering are high.

and then of course how the meat is stored and sold.

if eating steak tartare, use only meat from industrial farms that gets industrially slaughtered and then refrigerated throughout until sold and eaten.

They kill the beef at around 5am and it's hanging up for sale an hour or two later. So you don't have to worry about storage. That's why it's as tough as old boots and they have to chop it up small so they can get it down.

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am perfectly OK with eating ALL Thai food here in Thailand.

But, what about if a friend of mine asked me to share a dish of steak tartare?

Would sharing this dish with my friend be safe for me?

This friend you speak of, real or imaginary?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

They kill the beef at around 5am and it's hanging up for sale an hour or two later. So you don't have to worry about storage. That's why it's as tough as old boots and they have to chop it up small so they can get it down.

sure ... all with regular veterinarian inspections during the animals life, checking for parasites, vaccinations ...

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

usually stick each plate in a plastic bag and put it in the fridge when no one's looking ...

Me too. But no one has yet fallen seriously ill or died in my Thai family from this habit. Cooked food, including rice , often sits out until the following afternoon. If no one has eaten it by the evening it goes to the dogs. My wife does a sniff test, especially with rice. They think I'm weird either bagging it or covering with clung film and putting in the fridge.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, LikeItHot said:

Try that raw pork in blood covered in flies like they serve in Isaan.  Let us know how it works out.

Why would I eat raw pork? That is dangerous. Raw beef with blood, and some flies around it is yummy, though.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

You think it kills you overnight?

No, do you? You go around thinking like that, you might be 118 years old. The problem, though, is that you might not be able to do anything your last 28 years. Will that be better for you, Sir?

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, do you? You go around thinking like that, you might be 118 years old. The problem, though, is that you might not be able to do anything your last 28 years. Will that be better for you, Sir?

Just saying that you could have had parasites the last few decades without knowing it yet, so there is a flaw in your logic.

I find it amazing that people think dying early from lifestyle risk is gonna be quick and painless. 

Like, one day the cigarette or alcohol fairy is gonna come and whisk them away in their sleep.

Hey, I have a poor lifestyle too - so not much judgement- but at least I am not deluded about it.

I saw someone die of liver failure, partly due to raw meat (parasites) and alcohol. He suffered from about 62-70.

You can't do very much when your liver doesn't work, except walk around like a pregnant Big Foot with your stomach,  legs, and feet swollen full of water. The lower half of your body turns into a water balloon, basically. 

Then, all the toxins in your brain causes brain damage and you don't even know what day it is never mind how much fun you've had over the last few decades. 

Yeah, that sounds like a fun, quick, easy, and painless way to go.

Edited by FruitPudding

10 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Just saying that you could have had parasites the last few decades without knowing it yet, so there is a flaw in your logic.

I find it amazing that people think dying early from lifestyle risk is gonna be quick and painless. 

Like, one day the cigarette or alcohol fairy is gonna come and whisk them away in their sleep.

Hey, I have a poor lifestyle too - so not much judgement- but at least I am not deluded about it.

I saw someone die of liver failure, partly due to raw meat (parasites) and alcohol. He suffered from about 62-70.

You can't do very much when your liver doesn't work, except walk around like a pregnant Big Foot with your stomach,  legs, and feet swollen full of water. The lower half of your body turns into a water balloon, basically. 

Then, all the toxins in your brain causes brain damage and you don't even know what day it is never mind how much fun you've had over the last few decades. 

Yeah, that sounds like a fun, quick, easy, and painless way to go.

But man? Do you think you are talking about something I do not know? In reality, do you think you are talking about something , that not the whole forum knows? I don´t care about how old I get. I don´t care about how much pain and agony  I will die in. Seems like me, you should study more about brain damage, as it might be right up your alley.