Radar Trap

Seems Thai cops are coming with dreaded radar traps.

Motorway inbound to Bangkok, past Srinakarin, up on the elevated express way, pay the toll 25 baht, and about 2 km after the toll gate their there.

Tell tale sign :- the speed limit lights we at 80, cause they know no one will drive 80 on the toll way.

( hope this post becomes a sticky )

The only speed camera (hand held) I have seen so far is the Second Stage (upper level Express way) heading out of Bangkok towards Chonburi, just after central Bangna. I’m sure more locations will be added.

The Jollies there cannot be bribed… a friend of mine got stopped for doing 136 kph and was told the limit is 120 kph. The lights always show 80 kph for some reason.

He received 30 points (limit on the Thai licence is 60 I think) and had to pay a 400 bhat fine.

On Saturday, I passed the camera doing about 115 kph. The police at the toll station (to collect the ticket)… shouted ‘Hello !’ as I drove past !!

I think the locations of the ‘speed traps’ will always be before a major toll booth so that those marked as speeding cannot leave the express way at an earlier exit.

1. Tollway Don Muang till exit booth

2. Rama 9 Express way as earlier mentioned

3. On the way back from Koh Samet, not via Rayong.

Caught on all the above location! Never a point deducted, just show work permit/ passport instead of license. In fact they never mentioned point. Just cashing Baht 500.- Ticket will be given. No bribes

The only speed camera (hand held) I have seen so far is the Second Stage (upper level Express way) heading out of Bangkok towards Chonburi, just after central Bangna. I’m sure more locations will be added.

The Jollies there cannot be bribed… a friend of mine got stopped for doing 136 kph and was told the limit is 120 kph. The lights always show 80 kph for some reason.

He received 30 points (limit on the Thai licence is 60 I think) and had to pay a 400 bhat fine.

On Saturday, I passed the camera doing about 115 kph. The police at the toll station (to collect the ticket)… shouted ‘Hello !’ as I drove past !!

I think the locations of the ‘speed traps’ will always be before a major toll booth so that those marked as speeding cannot leave the express way at an earlier exit.

The national road speed limit is 90 kph. Certain roads are posted as 120 kph max (BKK East Ring Road for example). That mess that masqerades as a road (Hwy 7) out of BKK to Chonburi used to be posted at 120 kph on some stretches. Apart from flashing orange '80' signs on some of the BKK overhead expressways I have not seen a posted limit so assume that it is 90 kph. Is it?

concur with locations above (been stopped at don meung and the motorway one)

raybkk, where is the radar trap on the way back from samet?

From Kleang back to bangkok. I use this Rd. all the time going and coming to Koh Samet as its quiet and you cut of the Rayong and Pattaya bit and get straight to the motorway.

However National High Way Police is has been there on many occasions. They move between this section.

Chonburi highway police (CHiPs) - -I think they are - have a depot/station in between Chonburi and Sri Racha (Route 3, Sukhumvit) near Bang Saen and have frequent radar checks along this stretch of road usually near the Casa Lunar beach village (nr Nong Mon by-pass). they also operate on the road North out of Sri Racha. Usually from a Japanese minivan. You may find it strange that everyone is moving at 90kmph on a relatively empty 3 lane carriageway.........