Looking for new laptop

Pattaya420

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Not sure.

You want me to ask my Chinese friend?

Anyway, a laptop is useless unless it has a Global Warranty.

Even Old China Hams know this to be true.

But even Apple warranty is limited in time. And much of the issues arise usually when the warranty or apple care is long past. So at the end of the day you end up spending even more with an Apple. And btw, I only use Mac but i am starting to get annoyed with the hardware that does not last in time and the suspicious way it all runs slow after a few years. All is done just to push consumers to get a new unit. Not to mention the older versions that are not supported after some years and no more driver updates or safety steps.

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You must the very old to call these things laptop. I remember that name from when I was young.

What do you call and how old are you? Laptop is still the preferred generic term no matter what the size, date of production or age of the user.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

What do you call and how old are you? Laptop is still the preferred generic term no matter what the size, date of production or age of the user.

My comment wasn't meant to be too serious.

I know a couple of guys who were around when those things started to be used. Think about Window 3 and guys around 60 and older.

As far as I know "younger" people call them notebooks.

ibm-thinkpad-750c.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know a couple of guys who were around when those things started to be used.

Who, besides me?

I used the DEC 10 at school.

I used the IBM 360/370 at school.

Not very portable.

I recall the first computer hobby shops in Bryn Mawr.

But, you don't know me.

Also, I know a laptop from a notebook.

And, they both look the same to me, these days.

I wanted a decent laptop for coding. Ended up settling on a lenovo yoga. 

You order from the lenovo website and it ships from china with whatever customisations you have chosen. Customer service was quite good too.

I was hesitant to get a lenovo as my last laptop (hybrid) was lenovo mixx and a piece of junk but this yoga is great. Probably the best laptop I have ever had. Particularly with linux installed, which lenovo are known for being quite compatible with.

I have an ASUS Zen Book 14. I like it but the lighting for the keyboard sucks. It's white and in the light I can not see the keys. I tried to change the color but I don't believe this model allows it. If anyone has one of these and changed the color on the keyboard please let me know. Keep this in mind when you purchase the laptop.

57 minutes ago, tpbon said:

I have an ASUS Zen Book 14. I like it but the lighting for the keyboard sucks. It's white and in the light I can not see the keys. I tried to change the color but I don't believe this model allows it. If anyone has one of these and changed the color on the keyboard please let me know. Keep this in mind when you purchase the laptop.

I have the keys illumination feature on my Acer Swift 3 laptop and, in the light, I experience the same problem. However, on reading the manual, I find that it is possible to disable the facility by pressing the F8 key at the top of the keyboard.

On 2/16/2024 at 8:39 PM, Pattaya420 said:

Hi. Any one know some good small modern and fast laptop on Lazada or Shoope?

Looking for replacement.

What's this OEM Asus laptops they cheap.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.mPxQC

Anything with touch screen be cool or like above dual screen interesting.

Drop ur links if u did some digging.

Personally, I would never buy a computer online.  there are just too many issues.  

The first one is what happens if there is a problem.

Is it what is adveertised.

I agree with other posters. Go look at them, and If you go to a shop, you might get a lower price or price that is just as good, and you also have a place to take it if there is an issue.

That's something I would never buy on Lazada/etc (unless it's from the manufacturer's official shop). Even then, I'd probably rather go to a mall. 
Based purely on one bad experience buying electronics and then not being able to claim warranty. 

Do not buy anything beacuse from 2025 Microsoft stops Windows10 updates and will allow customers to purchase a yearly subscription to security updates for up to three years after the company stops supporting the operating system in 2025.

Source:

https://www.crn.com/news/security/microsoft-to-offer-extended-security-updates-for-windows-10-after-2025-end-of-life

I have pc windows10 and from 2025 I will install VMware program at my Windows10 computer and I will install Linux to run for security.

In few words VMware program is like a new computer machine inside of your old machine that allows you to run in new generated windows screen a new operating system program linux.

First download free Vmwares player and run the program as it show the video

Second download linux inside Vmware player station and run the program inside  of VMware

Actually VMware is a "new computer" machine inside of your old computer but at least you should have 4gb Ram memory.

100% safe I often run VMware at my Win10 with new operating system linux etc and after a year I delete the old "machine" VMware and I installed it again and with this way I always have a clean from virus computer .

It usually takes one hour to download and intall it Linux new operating system "above" of your Windows10.

How to Install Linux (Ubuntu) on Vmware WorkStation on Windows 10

Edited by Paris333

9 hours ago, Paris333 said:

Do not buy anything beacuse from 2025 Microsoft stops Windows10 updates and will allow customers to purchase a yearly subscription to security updates for up to three years after the company stops supporting the operating system in 2025.

OP wants a new computer, and it will run Win 11, not Win 10, surely upgradeable to Win 12 in late 2025 or later. Not clear when the last version of Win 11 will come out, actually.

9 hours ago, Paris333 said:

I have pc windows10 and from 2025 I will install VMware program at my Windows10 computer and I will install Linux to run for security.

For that I'd just use WSL 2:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/how-to-install-wsl2-on-windows-10

But, better yet, just do the opposite: let Linux be the host and Windows the guest, if you really need Windows.

I may change to OpenSUSE linux or use Win 10 LTSC Enterprise IOT, good for security updates to 2032. Been dual booting these on my spare computer for some time and like both of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/19/2024 at 8:47 AM, 5davidhen1 said:

I have the keys illumination feature on my Acer Swift 3 laptop and, in the light, I experience the same problem. However, on reading the manual, I find that it is possible to disable the facility by pressing the F8 key at the top of the keyboard.

Thanks, I knew about F8 but still, depending on lighting, I still have a difficult time seeing the keys. My eyes are 75 years old, maybe that's the problem.

36 minutes ago, tpbon said:

Thanks, I knew about F8 but still, depending on lighting, I still have a difficult time seeing the keys. My eyes are 75 years old, maybe that's the problem.

Not only age - using Thai keyboards the English letters are much smaller/thinner and harder to make out.  One advantage to buying from source outside Thailand perhaps?  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Try one of these USB lights in warm yellow. You can afford it.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4043649493-s15733550802.html

Looks nice but have same type unit on a base and really does not light up keyboard well at all (but mine is white white - and believe cost all of 49 baht).  Another thing may be angle - if we low in chair and keyboard high it makes it very hard to read.  For me getting the top row numbers is a real PIA (but want small keyboard without number pad - not a laptop).

Edited by lopburi3

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Looks nice but have same type unit on a base and really does not light up keyboard well at all (but mine is white white - and believe cost all of 49 baht).  Another thing may be angle - if we low in chair and keyboard high it makes it very hard to read.  For me getting the top row numbers is a real PIA (but want small keyboard without number pad).

A good mechanical RGB backlit TKL is the bee's knees. That's what I use on my desktops and am typing on one right now. Got particular keys lit in different colors. GF told me it's a kind of fruit salad. 

But a USB light (several types available, I chose this one because somebody said something about not liking white light), though imperfect, can be better than nothing and good 'nuff. I use one on my laptop if I'm typing on it at night, which is not often, only during travel.

Some of them have longer lighting fixtures, e. g.,

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4656857717-s19149775058.html

and if you put that down low on your top row, focused outward a bit to hit the others, you'll have NO problem seeing it.

Went around shops in Tukcom. Advice shop was nice and in Jib one nice employee recommend this one, it was outstanding vs other ones I looked at, build was nice with metal case plus CPU and RAM.

Was good price specs and quality:

It had better CPU then many gaming laptops.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/62774/1820/NOTEBOOK--โน้ตบุ๊ค--LENOVO-IDEAPAD-SLIM-5-16ABR8-82XG004MTA--CLOUD-GREY-

On 2/20/2024 at 2:26 AM, Paris333 said:

Source:

https://www.crn.com/news/security/microsoft-to-offer-extended-security-updates-for-windows-10-after-2025-end-of-life

In few words VMware program is like a new computer machine inside of your old machine that allows you to run in new generated windows screen a new operating system program linux.

First download free Vmwares player and run the program as it show the video

Second download linux inside Vmware player station and run the program inside  of VMware

Actually VMware is a "new computer" machine inside of your old computer but at least you should have 4gb Ram memory.

100% safe I often run VMware at my Win10 with new operating system linux etc and after a year I delete the old "machine" VMware and I installed it again and with this way I always have a clean from virus computer .

It usually takes one hour to download and intall it Linux new operating system "above" of your Windows10.

How to Install Linux (Ubuntu) on Vmware WorkStation on Windows 10

Just crack it.

Plus I use Linux too, so even windows is gone I am good.

I tried many distros. Ubuntu, Kali, 

I can recommend you to try

https://parrotsec.org

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, BigStar said:

No crack is going to enable security updates past EOS. Money will.

Not suitable for ordinary desktop application users. Ubuntu or Mint's his speed.

Yes but it's good for advanced users.

It's faster then Ubuntu too.

More private plus fun tools.

I recently bought a high spec 17" HP Envy from Amazon USA.  Half the price of a similar 17" notebook in Thailand, prompt delivery to Bangkok, no duty to pay.   (But no Thai keyboard if that is important to you.)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, donmuang37 said:

I recently bought a high spec 17" HP Envy from Amazon USA.  Half the price of a similar 17" notebook in Thailand, prompt delivery to Bangkok, no duty to pay.   (But no Thai keyboard if that is important to you.)

Thanks for your information.

Okay so after all ordered this Lenovo for 29 090 THB

Got some online discount, good price vs Banana IT and others.

Was going to get above lower spec Ryzen 7 for 19.99k 

But this one is faster better specs CPU GPU SSD 

More future proof. And nice alloy case.

Recommend it 

https://www.advice.co.th/product/notebook/notebook-lenovo/notebook-lenovo-ideapad-slim-5-16imh9-83dc000cta-cloud-grey-

Edited by Pattaya420

1 hour ago, Pattaya420 said:

Okay so after all ordered this Lenovo for 29 090 THB

Got some online discount, good price vs Banana IT and others.

Was going to get above lower spec Ryzen 7 for 19.99k 

But this one is faster better specs CPU GPU SSD 

More future proof. And nice alloy case.

Recommend it 

https://www.advice.co.th/product/notebook/notebook-lenovo/notebook-lenovo-ideapad-slim-5-16imh9-83dc000cta-cloud-grey-

Thanks! Agree, what is 10,000 baht when purchasing something that you'll probably use most days and want it to work and last well?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks! Agree, what is 10,000 baht when purchasing something that you'll probably use most days and want it to work and last well?

99 bottles of beer times 2?

Join the Happy Hour at 99 Bottles of Beer On The Wall in Santa Cruz, CA  95060

• Haha 1