What Is The Protocol For These Random Pattaya Police Road Blocks?

I've managed to avoid being stopped by the crimi ... er boys in brown when they setup road blocks on Sukhumvhit. They seem to be stopping cars and bikes -

• What's the protocol if you are stopped?
  • What do they really want?
  • Have you been stopped?
  • Did they ask for money for a made up infraction?

Tell your stories - I see more and more of them lately.

I've managed to avoid being stopped by the crimi ... er boys in brown when they setup road blocks on Sukhumvhit. They seem to be stopping cars and bikes -
  • Have you been stopped?

This is very normal practice here in Pattaya it is just part of life and happens nearly every week on highway 36 outside of Pattaya. In my opinion it is just money to supplement the salary of the poorly paid police men.

If you are stopped show your driving license, smile politely and answer any questions, do not argue with them about the reason they have stopped you (they have some lame excuse usually i.e. driving too long in the right lane, not over taking correctly etc.) give them 200 baht and drive on.

They just want money they are not interested in anything else.

We are stopped regularly on route 36 (about once a month) just give them 200 baht and everything is fine. Once I did not have 200 baht only a 500 baht note of course I did not see any change from my 500 baht so this was and expensive stop. Now we keep 200 baht in the glove compartment of our car for just such events so that we always have the money ready to pay.

I have not seen an increase in these activities it has been normal practice as long as we have lived here and even when we were visiting before we moved to Pattaya it happened to us in a baht taxi we had hired for the day to take us around, we paid the 200 baht and went on our way.

• Have you been stopped?

i have been stopped a few times but nothing more than check registration and tax up to date, its the highway police running it not the local bib

• Have you been stopped?

i have been stopped a few times but nothing more than check registration and tax up to date, its the highway police running it not the local bib

The local fuzz do many road checks on the back roads here in Pattaya , Soi Ume - SOi Aruno Thai , Soi Potisan etc. etc.

I often am waved right thru .

I have seen the one's on 36 - even got stopped by one during the day - I yammered at the guy in English and he told me to get lost -

I guess he spoke no English.

The ones I am writing about are on Sukhumvit - I saw them last night on the Rayong side just after Klang - when I returned from the gym they were hanging out on the Bangkok side between Klang and Nua but weren't stopping anyone and had no road block setup.

Who came up with 200b? Why not give them 100b and a smile.

Personally I want the bastards to give me either a song or a dance - If I'm going to pay them, then I want to justify it as entertainment. I would rather hand them some towels and glass cleaner then I'll give them 200 baht.

Reminds me of the squeegee men in NYC who would hold you up for a few dollars tip just for smudging your windshield with dirty water.

Seems to me the verminous scum were eradicated by Rudy - maybe we could bring him over here for a month or two.

The one I saw was at 8PM. Same place. Dinner break perhaps?

ฟาฟสด ฟ่หสำา ฟาหสห ดาหห ทแใแใปฟส ฆฏโด่๋่่ส่ ส่าสา่าสฟ ด่าำรา

"Who came up with 200b? Why not give them 100b and a smile."

It seems to be the amount that they are happy with, if you don't play the game then they give you a ticket and fine to be paid at the police station and then there is all the hassle of going there and waiting while they do the paper work (in their own time) and paying the fine which will be more than the 200 baht paid to shut them up.

For me it is the easiest way to just pay and drive on to where ever you are going and forget about it.

"Who came up with 200b? Why not give them 100b and a smile."

It seems to be the amount that they are happy with, if you don't play the game then they give you a ticket and fine to be paid at the police station and then there is all the hassle of going there and waiting while they do the paper work (in their own time) and paying the fine which will be more than the 200 baht paid to shut them up.

For me it is the easiest way to just pay and drive on to where ever you are going and forget about it.

It sucks. Normal rate is 200 Baht, but I managed to pay 100 Baht when I was with my wife. The told me I drive too long on th e right side....

As I go for work every morning to Highway 36, I just see them recently almost every morning. Last year there weren't there regulary.

Well TiT....

I'm not sure what mean by "tax up to date"

Maybe a better question, is what should one have in the auto to show if asked?

I'm not sure what mean by "tax up to date"

Maybe a better question, is what should one have in the auto to show if asked?

1: both stickers on the screen paid up rego and Tax stickers

2: a copy of the blue book for the car

3: a copy of the owners id card if its not your car

4: a couple of 100 baht notes so you dont have to open a wallet with lots of money in it

I got stopped about 7 years ago with my (english) girlfriend on the back on Sukhumvit on our way to Nong Nooch. Big fat copper waved me over and said i was driving in the wrong lane, got to pay 500 baht. Asked for a receipt and he says no have, made me sign a ticket with another English guys name on it, a Mr Robert Wilson.

On top of that my girlfriend burned her ankle on the exhaust while getting off the bike, i really felt like smashing him in the face with my helmet but he had a gun!

TO$$ER!

ฟาฟสด ฟ่หสำา ฟาหสห ดาหห ทแใแใปฟส ฆฏโด่๋่่ส่ ส่าสา่าสฟ ด่าำรา

And that is meant to mean what?? Looks like "lisdufhoifbpiovbrfi" with Thai language keyboard turned on

On top of that my girlfriend burned her ankle on the exhaust while getting off the bike,

I've done that crudy, once. Then I learned to get off a motorbike on the correct side

Both comments off topic and I apologise in front .....

Other than checkpoints near the border of Myanmar, I've only ever been stopped at checkpoints when I wasn't wearing a helmet (once, the only time I rode like that!). I always get waved through at checkpoints because I wear a helmet and they can see both current registration stickers on my windscreen.

However, if I had the same aggressive attitude and sheer hatred toward police officers that the opening poster has (criminals, bastards, squeegee men, verminous scum, etc.) it would eventually show and I'd be roughed up by the gentlemen in brown uniforms, and heavily fined.

Checkpoint are there to.............yes, check!!

On high ways they're there to check the paperwork, seat belts and other misdeminors. If you can show them that everything is okay, they'll let you go........................yeah right: there is always something wrong: driving too fast or too slow, driving in the wrong lane, some minor technical defect.....because they need some cash.

Talking about the 'rates': Thai pay 50 baht max and farangs are expected to pay a 100 Baht. Sure, if everyone is paying 200 Baht, the ongoing rate will be 200 Baht for a farang in a few months.

The checkpoints in Pattaya are mainly focussed on motorbikes with young people on them: paperwork, helmets, weapons and drugs are the main objectives.

If they try to stop you............ignore them, unless they jump in front of your vehicle!!

Edited by idle44mins

Oh Dear

I do think ignoring the OB in the middle of the day as a farang is not the best of ideas.

Yes you may get away with it nine times out of ten. You may also on the unlucky tenth, have a Thai wife or girlfriend who can ease the stress and slip the appropriate sweetner for the behaviour. However, a number of folk will read this on here who may not have these benefits. When they are pulled up on unlucky ten......................trouble, potential trouble.

Smile sweetly, obey the instructions, blend in and enjoy the life in the great City of Pattaya.

Got stopped one time just before the Hu Yai turning on Sukhumvit driving our old Toyota pickup full of plants for our new garden. I did not have any documents with me as I was wearing scruffy working shorts and dirty singlet. No documents at all inside the car, Nothing!! The GF also did not have her handbag either, so between the two of us we looked like a couple of bums from a garden center, the cop obviously found this all too difficult on a Monday morning and told us to go away.

He was a very nice guy and very polite, he still patrols that stretch of road on a motorbike and we often see him and

wave, only now we have all the documents inside the car. :o

Because we use highway 36 at least twice a day to get to Pattaya (drop the kids off a school and collect them) we do see the police almost every week on one side of the highway or the other. The way they leap out in front of vehicles I am surprised more of them are not killed or injured collecting their dubious fines.

They can cause a lot of problems for a driver so it really is better not to aggravate them and just nod and smile politely and give them the 200 baht they want. They have never asked for more than my driving license and are not really interested in anything except the bribe money to let you go. I have never had a ticket or a receipt for this money, just hand it over and smile, I don't even think about it anymore, there is no point in getting upset about it it is just part of living in Thailand.

Don't bitch about these guys - try Nigeria!

Main highway from Port Harcourt to Enugu - three lanes each way dual carriageway. Two police checks, three army checks and one or two that my g/f said were bandits. Also in a couple of places the road had been completely excavated, no warning tapes or trestles, everyone had to go down the embankment and up the other side. Asked g/f what was up - she said they had been there long time - everyone who drove that road knew about them. Had been dug by badits so that they could easily rob people at night.

At New Year I went out with g/f, against advice of company. On the way back we were stopped about every road junction by drunk police waving pistols. 'Dash me, dash me - I look after you Wi'boy'. So a few Naira. And driving through a couple of places there was a row of burning tyres laid across the road. You had to pay (dash) for them to drag the tyres away with a wire hook. Cost me hundreds of Naira that night - maybe US $ 20 at current rates.

Don't know now though - I've heard from friends that it's much worse.

Checkpoint are there to.............yes, check!!

On high ways they're there to check the paperwork, seat belts and other misdeminors. If you can show them that everything is okay, they'll let you go........................yeah right: there is always something wrong: driving too fast or too slow, driving in the wrong lane, some minor technical defect.....because they need some cash.

Talking about the 'rates': Thai pay 50 baht max and farangs are expected to pay a 100 Baht. Sure, if everyone is paying 200 Baht, the ongoing rate will be 200 Baht for a farang in a few months.

The checkpoints in Pattaya are mainly focussed on motorbikes with young people on them: paperwork, helmets, weapons and drugs are the main objectives.

If they try to stop you............ignore them, unless they jump in front of your vehicle!!

What a very sensible post... NOT!

I have been waved through these checkpoints on numerous occasions. I was stopped once. Asked to look at my DL which I produced (5 year Thai) and gave him my work permit as I didn't have my passport on me at the time. He smiled and said "good" and off I went. Do not ignor them. If you are asked to stop, then do it.

Because we use highway 36 at least twice a day to get to Pattaya (drop the kids off a school and collect them) we do see the police almost every week on one side of the highway or the other. The way they leap out in front of vehicles I am surprised more of them are not killed or injured collecting their dubious fines.

They can cause a lot of problems for a driver so it really is better not to aggravate them and just nod and smile politely and give them the 200 baht they want. They have never asked for more than my driving license and are not really interested in anything except the bribe money to let you go. I have never had a ticket or a receipt for this money, just hand it over and smile, I don't even think about it anymore, there is no point in getting upset about it it is just part of living in Thailand.

Reading your posts Em, I think them highway 36 chaps have your number... literally! You don't claim to be speeding, staying in the overtaking lane too long or any other moving violation so I reckon you have been pegged as a meal ticket. Maybe time to get another set of wheels?

Reading your posts Em, I think them highway 36 chaps have your number... literally! You don't claim to be speeding, staying in the overtaking lane too long or any other moving violation so I reckon you have been pegged as a meal ticket. Maybe time to get another set of wheels?

I think you are probably right NanLaew I do seem to get stopped regularly but I would rather not cause any trouble and I don't speak much Thai and they certainly don't speak much English, it does seem easier just to pay them (even though it does pi** me off). 200 baht every few weeks is cheaper than buying a new car especially since the one we have is newish anyway. But yes I admit it I am probably and easy target for them and I am sure they see me coming!

I think you are probably right NanLaew I do seem to get stopped regularly but I would rather not cause any trouble and I don't speak much Thai and they certainly don't speak much English, it does seem easier just to pay them (even though it does pi** me off). 200 baht every few weeks is cheaper than buying a new car especially since the one we have is newish anyway. But yes I admit it I am probably and easy target for them and I am sure they see me coming!

try having a few 20's and a 50 stuffed in the center console a stuff around looking for change when they ask and say i just have this as you hand them 100 in change, never pull out a loaded wallet

try having a few 20's and a 50 stuffed in the center console a stuff around looking for change when they ask and say i just have this as you hand them 100 in change, never pull out a loaded wallet

Thanks Baz I will give it a try next time!

Simple Gents,

If you are riding a bike then join the line for checking of drivers license, bike papers etc. This is as much to look out for the bikes that we have had stolen as anything else. If you have a helmet on and all the paperwork in place, then there will not even be a question about fines/money changing hands.

If you drive a car, my best suggestion is to make sure that it does not have any tinting /reflective film on the windscreen to stop them seeing that it is a Farang driving. If they can see you and you were not speeding / cruising in the right lane then 99% of the time you are going to get waved on, especially if you slow down and smile (turn off headlights at night).

If they want to pull you or you have come over the last hill in the right lane (doing 160 if like me), be nice and pay their lunch. It is a lot better than the corresponding fine in UK/US and the points (and insurance penalties) that go with them. If you can speak the lingo 50 to 100 is OK otherwise keep 200 handy in chonburi / rayong and 500 (greedy pigs) in Bkk.

Final word of warning - unless you really know what you are doing, never, never get angry or confrontational - you will not get anywhere and you will piss them off.

I love driving in Thailand!

OH

• 4 months later...

Simple Gents,

If you are riding a bike then join the line for checking of drivers license, bike papers etc. This is as much to look out for the bikes that we have had stolen as anything else. If you have a helmet on and all the paperwork in place, then there will not even be a question about fines/money changing hands.

If you drive a car, my best suggestion is to make sure that it does not have any tinting /reflective film on the windscreen to stop them seeing that it is a Farang driving. If they can see you and you were not speeding / cruising in the right lane then 99% of the time you are going to get waved on, especially if you slow down and smile (turn off headlights at night).

If they want to pull you or you have come over the last hill in the right lane (doing 160 if like me), be nice and pay their lunch. It is a lot better than the corresponding fine in UK/US and the points (and insurance penalties) that go with them. If you can speak the lingo 50 to 100 is OK otherwise keep 200 handy in chonburi / rayong and 500 (greedy pigs) in Bkk.

Final word of warning - unless you really know what you are doing, never, never get angry or confrontational - you will not get anywhere and you will piss them off.

I love driving in Thailand!

OH

I have not relcate to Thailand as yet. However, I will be in Thailand including Baan Chang, Rayong for 4-5 months next year. We plan to buy or rent a car. I have a Thai (nurse) wife. She happened to have a classmate's husband, who is a Thai police general in Bangkok. She told me that driving in Pataya, Rayong or country side may require to carry her police friend's business card to show at any police check point. First I disagreed because I'd like to make myself as small as possible. And I do not like to bribe any officer. However, after I read this "Police check point forum," it became a dilemma of ---to do-- or-- not to do. I do not have any idea what would be happening in showing a police general's card at any police check point along with a driver license as being suggested. I am afraid; it could make them (check point police) mad and getting worse off. Because anyone can print any business card. (Confirmation is not easy because our experience is that our police general friend is always very difficult to reach by phone during a business day.) I need to ask for wisdom of fellows who have been living in Thailand for some times. Do you and anyone have any idea or suggestion?

cheers

i have been stopped many times in my car on Sukhumvit at organised offical police checkpoints. i have never been asked for nor has there ever been an indication of a exchanging of money. in fact the last time, i was driving fast in the outside lane and was flagged down. i was not wearing my seat belt, it was too late to try to put it on so i thought i will brazen it out or pay the fine rather than slip it on and argue about it. the policeman came over, we exchanged polite respectful greetings, he asked me where i had been, i told him Boy air & sound, he said where was i going, i said home (nearby) he said put your seat belt on, i did so he said thank you, you can go, i left, gratefully. no problems and have never had them. (touch wood)