Teaching Business Studies At International Schools Or Universities

Hi there,

Just looking for some advice. I'm thinking of moving to Thailand in December with my family for a few years until my son is old enough to start school in the UK.

I'm 32, I have a degree and I'm just finishing off an MBA course at the moment. Is it possible to get jobs at International schools teaching business studies or in Universities teaching business related subjects?

I'm happy enough teaching English at schools and I have a TESOL Certificate but I'd rather stick close to what I really know. I'm also keen to lecture in Universities (UK) in years to come and so would prefer this kind of work, even though I've heard the money's not great.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Alan

Alan, I'm bumping this up to give more attention. I'm sorry nobody has replied within 48 hours here. There are not that many universities here that offer BBA and MBA programs in English. The standard salary at a uni here is around 27,000 every month, but you don't usually have to work every month, and you could teach private lessons on the side (maybe even legally, on campus).

Can somebody else chime in here, besides somebody who only has a son with an MBA? Thanks.

For the business programs: The private Unis like ABAC, Bangkok and Assumption will pay about double the salary of the government Unis, as will the International programs of the government Unis (a much better bet in my opinion). You'll work twice as hard (at least) and the students are notoriusly rude and arrogant in the private Unis - rumour has it (OK it's more than a rumour)... that you can't fail them no matter how bad they are.

You'll enjoy a government Uni more. If you work at one of the top ones, then the students are nice and have good ability. Life can be good, but with a low salary. PB is correct with the 27k.

If you like the idea then check out the Rangsit area, as you have a choice of about five pretty suitable Unis.

Good luck.

Hi Alan,

Long time since I have seen you (Ban Phe), I agree with all of the above. I think your best to visit the universities once you have arrived in December, also there are several reputable companies providing real corporate English training and they pay alot more.

PM me if you wish.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Alan!

For the international program at Ramkhamhaeng University, have a look at http://www.iis.ru.ac.th.

If you're interested, just send you CV per e-mail in advance and make an appointment with the director short-term. I guess, you will like it.

I'm a lecturer for almost 5 years in that program.

Uli

• 11 months later...
Hello, Alan!

For the international program at Ramkhamhaeng University, have a look at http://www.iis.ru.ac.th.

If you're interested, just send you CV per e-mail in advance and make an appointment with the director short-term. I guess, you will like it.

I'm a lecturer for almost 5 years in that program.

Uli

Uli, for someone with a PhD in Business (from an internationally renowned university if that is an issue) what salary are we looking at roughly?

Thx.

Yes, I agree with Uli, the IIS is a decent place to work. Pay there and on other programmes depends on qualifications held and programme level taught, but you'll be looking at at least 1,100 baht an hour, likely rather more. For a PhD you should get 2,000 or more an hour. Easy and pleasant work.

One difficulty with International Programmes in Thailand, such as Business Studies, is that they employ relatively few full-time foreign instructors. The norm is that you teach a full-time module (or modules) of 4-5 weeks and then there's a gap between that and the next one. Many instructors come over from abroad, so this suits them fine, but you'll have to pick up several modules a year to give yourself a steady income flow if you plan to live in Thailand. The other alternative is to get yourself a full-time uni post teaching English at a government university - low pay but also low contact hours and visa/work permit - and fit in International Programme modules around it. Good luck!

Edited by paully

Yes, I agree with Uli, the IIS is a decent place to work. Pay there and on other programmes depends on qualifications held and programme level taught, but you'll be looking at at least 1,100 baht an hour, likely rather more. For a PhD you should get 2,000 or more an hour. Easy and pleasant work.

One difficulty with International Programmes in Thailand, such as Business Studies, is that they employ relatively few full-time foreign instructors. The norm is that you teach a full-time module (or modules) of 4-5 weeks and then there's a gap between that and the next one. Many instructors come over from abroad, so this suits them fine, but you'll have to pick up several modules a year to give yourself a steady income flow if you plan to live in Thailand. The other alternative is to get yourself a full-time uni post teaching English at a government university - low pay but also low contact hours and visa/work permit - and fit in International Programme modules around it. Good luck!

Does anyone know of other universities that like IIS obviously uses foreign PhDs to teach business? Gladly the 4-5 week at the time model.

^ Mahidol U (MUIC)

Siam U

Bangkok U (Int. College)

Assumption U (usually referred to as ABAC)

NIDA

Sasin (part of Chula U)

off the top of my head.

Thanks. Just to be sure - there are many unis in Thailand and I know Kastsart, Thammasat etc etc. but the ones you mentioned are the ones that specifically use foreign phd's for th business courses?

What would the position be if you were say a Philosophy PhD(ABAC) teaching say business ethics?

^ If you could talk the Programme Director or Head of Faculty or whoever into offering you some modules on one of their programmes, I'm sure it would be fine.

There are also, of course, universities outside Bangkok/ the Bangkok area which have International programmes too - put your resume around and see what happens.