Still can't get mobile

Arrived for a month again yesterday...Wife said "AIS there" as we came through airport. I told girl there I wanted a sim for phone and text only...no internet. Internet I can get through the broadband at home or the wifi at the hotels. To which she pointed to a 999baht 30 day unlimited "promotion". That'll do ...or so I thought.

Tried sending messages last night and again today without any luck. Thought maybe just bad phone range within hotel.

This morning dug deeper and " found" numbers to call about credit etc. Hash star hash whatever..... ....mmmm...a list of messages a mile long saying "could not send messages" and final said  to top up as I have zero balance for messages...a further message said I have unlimited until 21 March....curious if a visit to another AIS shop in the city will make things clearer.

Think the usual " oh sorry...misunderstand" ....we'll see I guess.

• Haha 2

Just now, n00dle said:

AIS call 1175 and ask them what the deal is.

one wonders how some folk manage.

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

It's only 1500 for full year ! And FREE calls..

got a link? always curious to see more options and think my current unlimited sim will expire soon. 

58 minutes ago, n00dle said:

got a link? always curious to see more options and think my current unlimited sim will expire soon. 

100mb data per month free calls upto 30 minutes duration to other AIS numbers.Its called Marathon sim , search laxada or any AIS shop.

Never got on well with AIS or their site/app, and one cannot topup AIS cards at 7 or so I was told. DTAC has always worked well for me. Curious to not want connectivity though (oldie?) as easy done as a package nowadays and you never know when you'll need it while out n about.

48 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

100mb data per month free calls upto 30 minutes duration to other AIS numbers.Its called Marathon sim , search laxada or any AIS shop.

100mb, you are joking right?   

In February last year I bought a dtac sim unlimited 15mbps for 12 months 1390 THB.

This year in November I bought the same sim for visiting a friend, 1890.

Looking to renew today because this reminded me that same sim is 2,590.

Seriously WTH?

• Like 1

Messaging 'gateways' need configuring on your phone - they should have done this in the shop when you bought it.

Easiest way is to visit one of their shops and get them to put the settings in.

If you want to send photos via message there's a setting for that as well - no idea how it works but it is specific to each network. 100% on this by the way - if it's not done then it won't work either properly or at all but for me in the past it only affected MMS messages when changing provider.

Edited by ukrules
  • Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, ravip said:

Or send an email to callcenter AT ais.co.th.

Mention your number and ask your questions.

They reply quite fast.

Thanks, I've used their 1175 many times and they are very helpful but that email address will be useful to have as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Never got on well with AIS or their site/app, and one cannot topup AIS cards at 7 or so I was told. DTAC has always worked well for me. Curious to not want connectivity though (oldie?) as easy done as a package nowadays and you never know when you'll need it while out n about.

You don't have phone banking app?

19 hours ago, n00dle said:

100mb, you are joking right?   

In February last year I bought a dtac sim unlimited 15mbps for 12 months 1390 THB.

This year in November I bought the same sim for visiting a friend, 1890.

Looking to renew today because this reminded me that same sim is 2,590.

Seriously WTH?

There was a takeover. You expect rates to go down after that? 555

If you have a phone that is not unlocked and/or purchased outside of Thailand, you may not be able to use a local SIM card. If possible, try your Thai SIM card in another phone (that of your partner, for example), to see if that changes anything.