Chanthaburi Still Takes TM-30 Seriously

I just had my 90 day online report denied and was told to report to Chanthaburi immigration immediately. I thought it was my new passport still suffering speed bumps in the process.

Turns out a trip I made to Pattaya for four days last October (taking care of said new passport) caused the problem. Because I did NOT report back to Chanthaburi immigration within 24 hours of returning, they switched my permanent residence to the hotel I stayed at.

I thought hotel trips outside the province were not an issue any more. Once the IO realized what my oversight was, she fixed it all up for me. Lesson learned.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What is your status in Thailand.

Seems annual extensions as you are doing 90 reports.

TM30 not required for overnight trips in and out of Thailand 

All I know is because I spent those days in Pattaya last October and didn't report to them within 24 hours of returning, they refused to renew my 90 day report. I had to tell the IO several times to look at the new passport which showed my latest extension was Chanthaburi based. She even went to the back room to scrutinize my condo rental contract.

I've been on retirement OA/extensions for over 10 years. All of those were registered at Jomtien immigration, and occasional trips outside Chonburi province were of no concern. I moved to Chanthaburi about 16 months ago, transferred my extension here, and I'm still finding out little eccentricities of their procedures.

• Sad 1

I am under the impression that if trips are taken within Thailand then. TM 30 is not required. My wife checked this with the I/Os there and we have always operated on that basis without problems. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, retarius said:

I am under the impression that if trips are taken within Thailand then. TM 30 is not required. My wife checked this with the I/Os there and we have always operated on that basis without problems. 

That also applies to international travel.

It's all about continuity of your permission of stay.

The OP no doubt obtains a reentry permit for international travel. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I just had my 90 day online report denied and was told to report to Chanthaburi immigration immediately. I thought it was my new passport still suffering speed bumps in the process.

Turns out a trip I made to Pattaya for four days last October (taking care of said new passport) caused the problem. Because I did NOT report back to Chanthaburi immigration within 24 hours of returning, they switched my permanent residence to the hotel I stayed at.

If you just did your 90 day report, then wouldn't your last 90 day report have been done late November?

So why would a 4 day stay in Pattaya in October, a month before you did your last 90 day report, affect your latest report?

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

The IO was very clear that every time I go outside the province and check into a hotel elsewhere, I am required to report back to them within 24 hours

That's very sad.

You would think that someone in that immigration office would have the ability to check changes to TM30 rules in June 2020.

4 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Again, I was also under that impression and found out the hard way Chanthaburi has not caught up with the rest of Thailand.

The IO was very clear that every time I go outside the province and check into a hotel elsewhere, I am required to report back to them within 24 hours. Their office is less than 2 kilometers from where I stay so it won't be a problem, just an inconvenience.

The point of this post is to let the few who live in Chanthaburi be aware this is their policy. For now, anyway. We ALL know the only thing permanent here is change.

Makes the whole retirement situation quite unattractive, apply for a visa for Thailand, Then it's a tribal area system once within Thailand.  The inspiration for the TM30 ended decades ago did it not, but it blows on and of for when enforced and how enforced.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's very sad.

You would think that someone in that immigration office would have the ability to check changes to TM30 rules in June 2020.

I've been dealing with Chanthaburi Immigration since 2011, initially had to travel north to Pong Nam Ron until they opened the Chan town office. 

This may just be a one-off error by an overly keen IO I've never had any problem with them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

This may just be a one-off error by an overly keen IO I've never had any problem with them.

One would hope so however seems CM is an office that has refused to acknowledge the change of rules re TM30 

1 minute ago, gomangosteen said:

I've been dealing with Chanthaburi Immigration since 2011, initially had to travel north to Pong Nam Ron until they opened the Chan town office. 

That's what I was thinking as well. She even brought out a copy of the report of my October hotel stay to make her point. I'll just make sure and report to them every time I leave the province for even a day if I check in to a hotel. Better safe than sorry.

Have you ventured outside the province and stayed at a hotel then returned without reporting to them?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

If you just did your 90 day report, then wouldn't your last 90 day report have been done late November?

So why would a 4 day stay in Pattaya in October, a month before you did your last 90 day report, affect your latest report?

Exactly right! Since the system is obviously not automated, I think this IO was just bored, started perusing various reports and found this "discrepancy."

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

The fact that the system is blocking his 90 day because of a new TM30 filed by a hotel is an issue.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Have you ventured outside the province and stayed at a hotel then returned without reporting to them?

Yes. We travel for sports events mostly just overnight, eg I'm not going to get a new TM30 after one night in Trat next month.

But for overseas travel - several years I was short-term contracting out of Thailand - provided a new one each time I came home.

I didn't mind the old days travel up to Pong Nam Ron just a little local adventure.  When the Chan town office first opened I'd always get a senior IO - US accent he liked having the opportunity to speak in English and would chat away while someone else did the paperwork process.

Chanthaburi Immigration office 

spacer.png

Edited by gomangosteen

21 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

Yes. We travel for sports events mostly just overnight, eg I'm not going to get a new TM30 after one night in Trat next month.

But for overseas travel - several years I was short-term contracting out of Thailand - provided a new one each time I came home.

I didn't mind the old days travel up to Pong Nam Ron just a little local adventure.  When the Chan town office first opened I'd always get a senior IO - US accent he liked having the opportunity to speak in English and would chat away while someone else did the paperwork process.

Chanthaburi Immigration office 

spacer.png

Yup, that's the one.

I've gotten into the habit of submitting an online TM30 when I return from my last trip before going for my annual extension. I have the online TM30 set up so it only take a couple of minutes.

I realize that I'm not supposed to have to do that, but I'd much rather spend 5 minutes doing it at home instead of getting to immigration and being told it's missing/required. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DFPhuket said:

I've gotten into the habit of submitting an online TM30 when I return from my last trip before going for my annual extension. I have the online TM30 set up so it only take a couple of minutes.

I realize that I'm not supposed to have to do that, but I'd much rather spend 5 minutes doing it at home instead of getting to immigration and being told it's missing/required. 

Why aren't you supposed to do that? Is it for property owners only?

@HappyExpat57

1. Have you made the new TM.30 notification of arrival as requested by your immigration office?

2. Did the immigration office issue a fine because you sumitted the TM.30 later than 24 hours after your arrival?

3. Do I understand correctly that you have decided to make a new TM.30 notification in future every time when you spend at least a night away from home and that therefore you now seek no further advice about possible other options?

3 minutes ago, Maestro said:

@HappyExpat57

1. Have you made the new TM.30 notification of arrival as requested by your immigration office?

2. Did the immigration office issue a fine because you submitted the TM.30 later than 24 hours after your arrival?

1. The IO took care of any paperwork needed for this time and warned me that all future trips must be reported to them.

2. There was no fine. I am always polite and dress nicely, keeping my bare feet squarely on the floor, looking docilely forward while waiting for service - you know the drill.

FWIW, after all was done and dusted, I returned with a nice bin of "Shadow" chocolates for the office to show my gratitude.  I understand they could have made my life a little miserable over this and I think they recognized an honest mistake.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

1. The IO took care of any paperwork needed for this time and warned me that all future trips must be reported to them.

2. There was no fine. I am always polite and dress nicely, keeping my bare feet squarely on the floor, looking docilely forward while waiting for service - you know the drill.

FWIW, after all was done and dusted, I returned with a nice bin of "Shadow" chocolates for the office to show my gratitude.  I understand they could have made my life a little miserable over this and I think they recognized an honest mistake.

Understood.

17 hours ago, Henri said:

Immigration Kamphaeng Phet requires a TM30 whenever you not sleep at home, even when you stay one night in a hotel in the place where you live.

Every year when I apply for an extension of stay, I ask them again if they still require a TM.30 when I not sleep at home.  Answer is still the same. In October last year I asked them if I also had to make a TM.30 when I stay one night in a resort opposite my house. 

The answer was "yes, whenever you don't sleep at home, no matter where, you have to fill a new TM.30 within 24 hours after you return back home". It really is absurd.

+1

Nongkhai immigration is the same. :bah:

• Sad 2

My in-person 90-day report at Chanthaburi Immigration this morning, had other things to do in the city also.

Too big a queue at nearby Amazon so went straight to the office 8.20 before they were open; #1 in the queue which had stretched to three when the door opened 8.29.

Completed, and exited the building 8.31, a new 'personal best', back on the motorbike at 8.32am.

Painless.

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1