Had An Accident And Feel Like Im Getting Stiched? Can Anyone Help?

kish

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a farang site so trying to get and idea about legal matters in Thailand is not helpful to you, unless some one here has had the same experience. I have a very well educated thai buisness partner, and I asked him about your situation. I have some legal experience in the US but that does not apply here. 1st you need to find out if you were over the legal limit. That will make all the difference. Also 60,000 baht offer was outrageous. Simply too much! You can not apply your country's or social norms to here. It's not much to westerners but that is like $100,000 US dollars to a Thai. Did you know it takes most Thais 5 years to pay off a 30,000 baht motorbike? Yes it was 2 broken legs and an arm but many death claims have been paid less! As for the hospital not letting you know about the victims record, well you just didn't ask correctly. Any information can be bought. Cops can be too but you need to be smart about it. You should use a smart and trusted thai friend(hard to find) to help negotiate. Other wise they might ask some rediculose amount from you like the victims. Even if you were drunk it will not cost you as much as they are asking. You need a lawyer to drag the case as long as possible. I know you want to get this over with and not pay your lawyer for so long, but this is a very common legal deffense tactic. Over time witness's, victims, police memories becomes less accurate. Statements can be challanged and testamonieswil not be 100% exact. There is a chance that the evidence will be tainted (improperly handle ie chain of custody) or even lost here. Lastly the victims greed will become impatient, they have bills to pay, they can't work. Settlements can he be made much more reasonable. It sounds despicable but that how things like this work.

Edited by dchi2031

The drink driving isn't the issue here it's the injustice that someone causes an accident and, excuse the pun, walks away from it and gains compensation on top. The drunk driving issue is a bi product of the initial accident. Kish is a victim of injustice and needs support with his problem, not comdemnation. I'm not condoning his drink driving, that's his problem, and he's prepared to accept his punishment. The question being asked by Kish is " what about the third partys ability to cause an accident, be guilty of at least 5 motoring offences and come out of it smelling of roses".

If I was Kish I would do what Frikkeideboer sujjests and sue the third party for compensation for causing the initial accident. Any compensation the third party may gain will be swallowed up in lawyers fees fighting the claim. Hopefully resulting in their back tracking for compensation. Okay it may cost lawyer fees initially but this is a matter of principal and injustice.

As for the armchair critics who condem Kish for drink driving, haven't they ever made a mistake and lived to regret it ? Drink driving is an accepted way of life where I live. To get involved in a drink driving accident is the norm, odds on it'll proberbly a policeman as well. Where these armchair critics live, cannot be in the real Thailand.

Don't pay compensation and sue.

Hi there,

Ok, I have been living in chiangmai for a few years and have an old BMW 3series. I was driving home one night after being out for a friends birthday. Then all of a sudden some thai guy smashed into the front of my car on his Honda wave with his girlfriend on the back.

I stopped and called the police and ambulance as the guy driving looked in a bad way. They went off to hospital as did I. I was fine (shaken but fine) but the police wanted to check my blood alchol level. The 19year old driving has a broken leg and a broken arm and his 17 year old girlfriend has a broken leg. both the boy and the girl were in hospital for approx. 1 week. The bills for both came to no more than 40k (which I beleive has already been paid for by the insurance company).

This all happened a little over a month ago. I have yet to get my boold alcohol results as the hospital have said they cant issue the results and I have to go to check at the police station. The police have also not given me the results but Im fairly sure that I was over the limit.

Now, the guy driving the Honda wave, hit my car on my side of the road, hit the front left corner of the car (so he had to be on my side), doesnt have a drivers licence, wasnt wearing a helmet and was probably drunk ( it was 3am, what else was he doing out at this time) but wasnt tested for alcohol at the police station.

I have been to see the families at the police station 3 times now (as well as visiting them in the hospital). The first time they wanted 300k each!!! I dissagreed and went off the find a lawyer (tougher than I had thought to find an honest and good one). The second time I went with my lawyer and they stuck to there original 600k (for the 2 people). The police man and my lawyer both said that this was a rediculous figure and wanted them to come down so I offered 100k (50k each). They declined my offer and stuck to 600k. Finally, on saturday just gone I went back to talk and we agreed on 120k (60k each). Now I didnt sign anything to this effect as I said I would like to seek advice from other parties.

Ok, 120k is a ###### site better than 600k but I still feel that this kid was in the wrong, plus I have over 60k of damage to my car, who is going to pay for that? Not once has anyone mentioned my car, who is going to help me with fixing my car etc. Noone has mentioned fault? It doesnt seem right that we are talking money before anyone has decided on whos fault it is.

Now my question is, reading what I have written above do you think that I should do? Just bite the bullet and pay them (even though I still have to go to court) or should I say NO! you are wrong you didnt even have a drivers licence (you shouldnt have been on the road in the first place) you hit me, I didnt hit you! you hit me on my side of the road whilst driving way too fast (his girlfriend ended up approx 10meters away from him and 20odd meters from the accident (so he must have been flying for them to have gone so far (as the police have agreed))) and I dont want to pay you I want you to pay me to fix my car?

Now originally I was willing to help them (not because I thought it was my fault but because I wanted to help), but after they came to the table with a stupid number like 600k I decided they were only interested in taking this falang to the cleaners and I was no longer interested in helping them.

If I take this to court, would I win? and even if I lost would I have to pay this much or would it be more??? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated as I have heard it all (everyone has different advice (but noone has said something that is set in stone)). Plus I wold really like to hear from someone that knows the law in Thailand.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS. PREFFERABLY FROM PEOPLE THAT KNOW AND NOT FROM THOSE THAT ARE GUESSING...

Many thanks,

Kish

Kish,

Dont pay anything yet. You quite rightly stated that the insurance will cover hospitol bills.

Firstly it wasnt your fault so these people should be paying you!!!... not you them. In court you WILL WIN I can assure you... but it wont even go that far,so call their bluff.

Lets breakdown the money that they want...why this amount? If it was your fault you would only be required to pay for repair of his bike....maybe 3k-5k. If they are off work for one month... hey they probably only earn 7k a month so there is another 14k...then a little bit for distress..maybe 5k so a max of 24k. Do not pay anything more than this...or very little more.

I understand you are probably very worried but dont let these thieves take your money like this.

Believe it or not, Thailand is not as corrupt as people think, that is a lot make beliefe by wanna be gangsters.

I speak from experience. I had the same situation a few years ago... them wanting extorinate amounts of money, threating me with the police.I called their bluff & stood my ground. Hey I ended up paying 12k to a guy that was in a bad way... but a lot less that the 150k they wanted.

DONT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH THIS ROBBERY. STAND YOUR GROUND BUT AT ALL TIMES SHOW COMPASSION FOR THE OTHER PEOPLE. ASK WHAT JUSTIFIES THIS AMOUNT....Its the same as anywhere else, you need to breakdown the cost.

GOOD LUCK

coventry , your points are taken , but assuming kish was over the limit ,then how can anybody be sure that it wasnt kish who failed to notice the motorcycle and it was his impaired levels of observation and concentration that were the cause of the accident. as ive already said , its a given in thailand that motorcycles drive at the side of the road against the traffic flow . car drivers have to accept this and be on their guard.

if he was over the limit , and thus breaking the law , how can he be a victim of injustice ?

.... and i cant understand why his insurance company is not handling this for him.

Edited by taxexile

Hey, seemed some guys here are very clever, but you are so until the same happend to you. So, shut up your <deleted>****ing mouth unless you have advise how to help to this guy!

Kish! Be strong ad good luck to you!

Hey, seemed some guys here are very clever, but you are so until the same happend to you. So, shut up your <deleted>****ing mouth unless you have advise how to help to this guy!

a guy goes out drinking at a party and has a car accident on his way home and then complains he might get taken to the cleaners and starts asking for ideas to get him out of the mess , hes lucky nobody was killed.

i wonder if the thai guy with the broken legs is posting on thai forums saying that a drunken falang hit me with his car , his bike needs repairs and he cant work for a month and asking for ideas too.

sorry , nothing personal , but he deserves to be cleaned ( reamed , steamed AND dry cleaned.)

a guy goes out drinking at a party and has a car accident on his way home and then complains he might get taken to the cleaners and starts asking for ideas to get him out of the mess , hes lucky nobody was killed.

i wonder if the thai guy with the broken legs is posting on thai forums saying that a drunken falang hit me with his car , his bike needs repairs and he cant work for a month and asking for ideas too.

sorry , nothing personal , but he deserves to be cleaned ( reamed , steamed AND dry cleaned.)

Don't say to me that you will pay at least one bat to that guy in the same situation. Anybody can do mistake! Stop that MFBS! Don't lie to people here and to yourself! Don't you drink at all? Don't you ever drive at least after one bottle of beer?

Anyway, please don't say anything, if you can't say something usefull for the guy hwo's asking for advice...

P.S. Don't you ever have situation with Thai guy who's trying to get money from farang just for nothing? Or may be you never heard what Thai thinking and talking about farangs? Nothing good. Believe me.

Edited by Mamboking

Don't say to me that you will pay at least one bat to that guy in the same situation. Anybody can do mistake! Stop that MFBS! Don't lie to people here and to yourself! Don't you drink at all? Don't you ever drive at least after one bottle of beer?

Anyway, please don't say anything, if you can't say something usefull for the guy hwo's asking for advice...

P.S. Don't you ever have situation with Thai guy who's trying to get money from farang just for nothing?

i've already given him some useful advice.

if you had your legs broken by a drunk driver wouldnt you try and maximise the situation , who can blame him.

kish left himself wide open for this when he got started to drive home drunk ( assuming he was over the limit , that is ) he can have no body else to blame , he should pay up and think himself lucky he doesnt have funeral costs or a jail term to deal with.

he should of got a taxi home for a hundred baht.

if he was over the limit , he will be presented with a stack of bills and costs and laughed out of court.

Edited by taxexile

P.S. Don't you ever have situation with Thai guy who's trying to get money from farang just for nothing?

i've already given him some useful advice.

if you had your legs broken by a drunk driver wouldnt you try and maximise the situation , who can blame him.

kish left himself wide open for this when he got started to drive home drunk ( assuming he was over the limit , that is ) he can have no body else to blame , he should pay up and think himself lucky he doesnt have funeral costs or a jail term to deal with.

Yes, you are ###### right. But it's happend alredy. And he's asking not for moral, but for advise.

ok, to those who are leaving helpful advise thank you. and to those of you that are leaving pointless I told you so messages?? wake up, get a life and think about doing something productive. I know I was wrong to drink and then drive. Like I said it was a birthday and I had a few. If I wanted a lecture I would have called my Mum! I am asking for advise. Prefferably from people that know (professionals with some knowledge of the law) or have some kind of decent input. Please stick to the topic.

Many thanks,

Kish

Go pay a lawyer if you want professional law advice. It will serve you a lot better than any 'free' advice garnered from a forum. Walking into a Thai courtroom with a list of opinions from forum members and no lawyer isn't gonna be much help.

It's not much to westerners but that is like $100,000 US dollars to a Thai. Did you know it takes most Thais 5 years to pay off a 30,000 baht motorbike?

Thats just as dumb on the downside..

I know a restaurant that cant keep its staff.. The unskilled girls they employ (basic rudimentary english only) get 12k per month + tips for waiting tables.. So with some tips in there 60k is 4 months work for a unskilled female waitress.. So average unskilled females make 300k USD per year !! Every second bike round here is on red plates, 2007 mios / nuovos / airblades / etc galore..

The economy I see around me you dont get any kind of worker for <10k per month..

We're back to the drink driving again. As I've said before Kish isn't trying to excuse himself for DWI but for the fact that the third party caused an accident and has got away with it. Who's to say the third pary wasn't drunk ? Take away the DWI and what have you got ? A straight forward traffic accident. The DWI is just a bi product of that accident.

Due to the Police's inability, a common event in Thailand, to have the knowledge to investigate a scene of crime, irrespective of the crime. They've gone for the quick solution and only penalised one victim, the easy option. I call Kish a victim and not a culprit because both partys should have been prosecuted at the end of the day and he's a victim of inept policing. Police in Thailand don't earn their jobs through educational abilities, they buy their jobs with back handers. That for me is the biggest crime of all, worse than drink driving.

As for 'Taxexile' saying "he should of got a taxi home for a hundred Baht" that has to be the most rediculous comment I've read on this thread. It's plainly obvious that he is passing on advise and doesn't live in the real Thailand. If he did he would know that taxis are something you only see in movies and day trips to Bangkok.

Hi again,

Well once again thank you to all that offered usful or helpful advice and again to all the muppets that like to throw insult to injury, well we'll all be laughing when something unfair happens to you (or will we as you obvoiusly do nothing wrong and you have never made a mistake before??).

As for my case. I thank you again for your input. I have since been back to the police station to talk to the suprisingly helpful police man. He said I had 169 alcohol? I wasnt given anything to go by with this figure as so its a little ambigious. I dont know if this is in ml or cc or anything?? but I do know that the police man was very uninterested with the number and stated that it was nothing to worry about and that it was a very low reading. So I can only assume that I was over the limit but not by much as he assured me that it wasnt serious.

After hearing from 'tommyj4' (thanks!) I decided to go and speak to the police again. I decided that 120k was an extorsionate amount and I wasnt willing to pay. I have also spoken to the boy driving the bike who is scared of going to court and wants this quashed asap. I think I have got him down to 20k but his girlfriends family want MONEY and lots of it. So will see what happens. Going to meet with the boy, girl and there families again tomorrow at the police station... Oh, and Ive had to do all this myself?? dont know why Im paying a lawyer as Im sure this was supposed to be his job? Oh well, live and learn. But in saying that, does anyone know of a COMPITENT lawyer in Chiangmai? as it would be nice to have one for future reference.

Thanks again,

Kish

BLOOD ALCOHOL LEVEL (BAL) MONITORING

The amount of alcohol in your blood stream is referred to as Blood Alcohol Level (BAL). It is recorded in milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood, or milligrams percent. For example, a BAL of .10 means that 1/10 of 1 percent (or 1/1000) of your total blood content is alcohol. When you drink alcohol it goes directly from the stomach into the blood stream. This is why you typically feel the effects of alcohol quite quickly, especially if you haven’t eaten in a while.

BAL depends on: 1. Amount of blood (which will increase with weight) and 2. The amount of alcohol you consume over time (the faster you drink, the higher your BAL, as the liver can only handle about a drink per hour--the rest builds up in your blood stream).

Understanding the effects of a rising BAL can be very useful in controlling drinking.

Below are the effects of increasing BAL.

.02 MELLOW FEELING. SLIGHT BODY WARMTH. LESS INHIBITED.

.05 NOTICEABLE RELAXATION. LESS ALERT. LESS SELF-FOCUSED. COORDINATION IMPAIRMENT BEGINS.

.08 DRUNK DRIVING LIMIT. DEFINITE IMPAIRMENT IN COORDINATION AND JUDGMENT.

.10 NOISY. POSSIBLE EMBARRASSING BEHAVIOR. MOOD SWINGS. REDUCTION IN REACTION TIME.

.15 IMPAIRED BALANCE AND MOVEMENT. CLEARLY DRUNK.

.30 MANY LOSE CONSCIOUSNESS

.40 MOST LOSE CONSCIOUSNESS; SOME DIE.

.50 BREATHING STOPS. MANY DIE.

quote''Thats just as dumb on the downside..

I know a restaurant that cant keep its staff.. The unskilled girls they employ (basic rudimentary english only) get 12k per month + tips for waiting tables.. So with some tips in there 60k is 4 months work for a unskilled female waitress.. So average unskilled females make 300k USD per year !! Every second bike round here is on red plates, 2007 mios / nuovos / airblades / etc galore..

The economy I see around me you dont get any kind of worker for <10k per month''

which area do you live in?its more like 6k plus 6k in tips down on Koh samui and gullivers in bangkok.

It's not much to westerners but that is like $100,000 US dollars to a Thai. Did you know it takes most Thais 5 years to pay off a 30,000 baht motorbike?

The economy I see around me you dont get any kind of worker for <10k per month..

You must live in a different place in Thailand than me my friend :o

You must live in a different place in Thailand than me my friend :o

Yep agreed, where is this booming area of LOS ???

Thai school teacher - teaching English 6000 baht per month

Police man 10,000 baht per month

Night shift - Saha chicken factory 160 baht per shift

Recently had a short break in Koh Chang - waitress told me she was on 3000 baht per month etc.

Yeah, you must be living in some upscale farang heavy area. I've worked with hundreds of Thai's from Bankok, Lamchabang, Ayuttyah and other industrial areas. Only way a waitress makes 60K in 4 months is maybe roomservice afterwork and durring high season. Most if not all THais send their money home. THis leaves them with little. I have engineers, accountants, welders and unskilled labor etc. Our company pays much higher than adverage for their skill. Most do not make over 20K baht per month. These are the upper 10% of the Thai ecconomy. So 90% of thais are making around 10K baht per month or less. Don't forget most of the population still lives upcountry farming. And another thing,Thais are worst than Americans with money. Doesn't matter what they are paid, they can't save money or budget. Either they spend it having fun, buying a car or bike they can't afford or their friends and family drain them of their savings.

You say they can't keep employees for less than 10K, is because Thai ideas and upbringing is different from the west. THey will quit a good job in a minute if it cause them any stress or worry. They will forget that they have rent due and bills to pay. They will just borrow the money from friends and familly. Thai say" Don't think too much" is true and the way many of them live. Also in a farang area they may see the sex trade as easy way to make money and won't take a job in a restruant. Why work 10 hours a day making 300 baht when you can go sleep with some one for 20 minutes and make 500. Even in areas where there are no farangs, Thais will not stay at a job long. Most companies have what is called Beyah Kun yien. It's a bonus to come to work evey day, paid monthy. They have to do this to make sure the workers come in and don't quit.

Bottom line is 60,000 baht offer is a lot of money to an adverage Thai person. I would take them years to save this much, maybe a decade if they lived upcountry.

Edited by dchi2031

Whether it is accepted practice for Thais to drive against the flow of traffic on the wrong side of the road is immaterial. It is an offense and should be prosecuted as such.

You have rightly found that it is not the victims, if that is the correct word here, who are making massive claims but the money grabbing leeches who are their family.

I don't know whether you were over the limit or not but I feel that they have taken too long without charging you so I suspect no, unless they are also holding out for a payout.

I will admit that I am no expert but you do need some help. Do you have any western friends who have businesses in your area ? Often they know a lawyer.

The Thai boy hit the FRONT of your car ? was it the front side ? or the Front ? you have posted that the Thai guy hit you well how about they turn this around and its proved that you hit them ? weather it being true or not you would be in big big big trouble . The thai guy 19 years old has broken leg and arm and the girl has broken leg , they cant work or if they are students cant go study , you were over the limit drink driving i feel you are playing with fire not paying the 60k that they want .

Hey your in Thailand they know where you live , maybe you would be better to pay the 60k for peace of mind .

JB .

Edited by joeuk1

I stopped...
Beside drink-driving, there's your biggest mistake.

Let this be a Thai object lesson to everyone......God how I hate to say it, but you should have done what THEY do, KEPT ON DRIVING!

And as for the lack of sympathy here 'cos you had had a few. After 10pm at night half the gits on the Bluddy roads over here are pissed! You were just unlucky mate.

(I know two wrongs don't make a right......okokokok.)

If you can do a runner, do it now Kish!

Why? 'Cos you will not be treated fairly......whatever you do.

I stopped...
Beside drink-driving, there's your biggest mistake.

Let this be a Thai object lesson to everyone......God how I hate to say it, but you should have done what THEY do, KEPT ON DRIVING!

And as for the lack of sympathy here 'cos you had had a few. After 10pm at night half the gits on the Bluddy roads over here are pissed! You were just unlucky mate.

(I know two wrongs don't make a right......okokokok.)

If you can do a runner, do it now Kish!

Why? 'Cos you will not be treated fairly......whatever you do.

Terrible post .

HTF can you advise someone to do a hit and run , they had broken legs it was early hours of the morning and they needed medical treatment . I have a feeling that our OP hit these kids nearly wiped them out and now is trying to walk away from it scot free . hey it was 3 am in the morning he had been to a birthday party he had been on the piss .

JB

Yeah, you must be living in some upscale farang heavy area. I've worked with hundreds of Thai's from Bankok, Lamchabang, Ayuttyah and other industrial areas. Only way a waitress makes 60K in 4 months is maybe roomservice afterwork and durring high season. Most if not all THais send their money home. THis leaves them with little. I have engineers, accountants, welders and unskilled labor etc. Our company pays much higher than adverage for their skill. Most do not make over 20K baht per month. These are the upper 10% of the Thai ecconomy. So 90% of thais are making around 10K baht per month or less. Don't forget most of the population still lives upcountry farming. And another thing,Thais are worst than Americans with money. Doesn't matter what they are paid, they can't save money or budget. Either they spend it having fun, buying a car or bike they can't afford or their friends and family drain them of their savings.

You say they can't keep employees for less than 10K, is because Thai ideas and upbringing is different from the west. THey will quit a good job in a minute if it cause them any stress or worry. They will forget that they have rent due and bills to pay. They will just borrow the money from friends and familly. Thai say" Don't think too much" is true and the way many of them live. Also in a farang area they may see the sex trade as easy way to make money and won't take a job in a restruant. Why work 10 hours a day making 300 baht when you can go sleep with some one for 20 minutes and make 500. Even in areas where there are no farangs, Thais will not stay at a job long. Most companies have what is called Beyah Kun yien. It's a bonus to come to work evey day, paid monthy. They have to do this to make sure the workers come in and don't quit.

Bottom line is 60,000 baht offer is a lot of money to an adverage Thai person. I would take them years to save this much, maybe a decade if they lived upcountry.

Yes thats smack in the tourist area on Phuket.. But thats whats there.. The restaurant cannot keep its staff (too busy too long shfts)..

Now I agree thats upper end for unskilled workers.. But I hear the same thing all the time.. I had a maid and when I moved into my current villa it wasnt going to work out for her (transit times and other factors).. I tried for months to get a person to do 2 - 4 hours twice a week.. I figured something as simple as that would be easy for 3k (what I paid the old woman) a month, its 4 - 8 hours a week for very light work.. After many many failed attempts and upping the offers to 5k per month and it still getting sniffed at and turned down I figured I would do my own washing up !!

I know lots of businesses in the local economy simply cant get or keep good staff at all these low amounts people post.. Local net shop was 12k a month for 6h a day to my mates GF (she quit that I might add).. Hotels desk staff regularly runs 15+ plus perks for anyone with an ounce of sense.

I realize upcountry and in the boonies its different.. But when you hear someone say that 60k baht to a Thai is like 100k USD to an American its just hyperbole.. You even state above that 'most dont make over 20k per month' in your company.. So by the comparison to 60k being 100k USD then that means 'most' Americans dont make 33k USD per month ?? No I agree most dont !! Many dont make that every 6 months !!

Anyway this is WAY OT for the OP.. And if he was as he states at 169 then I am thinking he is WAY over with reading of over 2x the 80 measurement for a ban.

Kish

Do you have a criminal case against you from the Police?

Do you have a house registration with your name in it?

If the answer is yes to either questions you have a problem!

If it is no to both, as I suspect it is you have no problem. It is necessary for you to be summoned to court by one of the people you injured it is necessary for you to be summoned with a "mai sarn" or court order.

In a civil case they cannot force you as a faring to receive a court order unless you have a certified address by having a house registration entry in your name. Trust me I have been through this extortion. Check with your lawyer.

My suggestion to you is sit down with them and your lawyer and say hey I am willing to pay you X! Not because I have to but becasue I want to for hitting you. Now if you will not accept X I will wait for you to sue me and I will not accept the court order when it comes so you cannot sue me becasue I don't have a house registration entry.

So you will have sued me for no reason and you will have to pay the costs. Then I will counter sue you for being drunk and hitting my car and the court order will be served to your address and you will have to go to court. I have decided to counter sue for 500,000 baht!

From experience they will accept your kind gift and leave you alone.

Bit sad for them that you where drunk! Don't do it again ha.

BB