Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Availability / price of Rivaxoaban or similar coagulants, preferably in Khon Kaen

Patts

Hi, 

I found a similar thread after a google search but couldn't find it in the forum so Mods please feel free to consolidate this post.

I am taking Rivaxoaban and will shortly be moving near to KK; would you happen know where I can purchase this medication and its price? I know it was originally close to 5000bht a month (crazy)  but have been informed that prices have dropped recently.

If this is a no go I may consider jumping back on Wafarin but honestly hate the amount of things it clashes with and the need to do INR tests every week or 2.

Thank you  

7 hours ago, Patts said:

Hi, 

I found a similar thread after a google search but couldn't find it in the forum so Mods please feel free to consolidate this post.

I am taking Rivaxoaban and will shortly be moving near to KK; would you happen know where I can purchase this medication and its price? I know it was originally close to 5000bht a month (crazy)  but have been informed that prices have dropped recently.

If this is a no go I may consider jumping back on Wafarin but honestly hate the amount of things it clashes with and the need to do INR tests every week or 2.

Thank you  

Any possibility of switching back to 'warfarin'? Much cheaper. There are also herbal considerations.

Edited by owl sees all
added 'back'.
  • Like 1

The gold standard for blood thinners is Eliquis(apixaban). Very little bleed risk compared to warfarin. There was a thread recently and I believe @Sheryl posted the generics available in Thailand.

Mail order would be the best source for price regardless of where you live in Thailand. Sources in the same thread. 

• Like 1

Ask your cardiologist on switching to Lixiana 60mg (Edoxaban).

I was on Rivaxoaban and in 2022 I went back to UK NHS hospital for treatment and they changed it to Lixiana.

I order it it from Medisafe in Bangkok and its 3100 Baht for 28 tablets. Best to use the Line app when ordering and its delivered to the house by Thai post office EMS.

On my last cardio appointment the Doc suggested cutting the tablet in half so to save myself some money!

I am on other meds for CHF and I purchase them all from Medisafe and I live up country in Phetchabun.

https://www.drugs.com/uk/lixiana.html

Edited by brianburi
attach link
  • Like 1

Hello

Name here is Xarelto. Exists in 10 and 20 mg.

I am under 20 mg for years. Purchased last week in Fascino 5139 bahts for 30 tablets (before was 28 per box).. a few years back price was close to 7000 for 28 tablets

Have a good day

• Like 1

Try a government hospital, I am being treated at Bhumipol (RTAF) hospital and my total drugs bill was 6,900 baht that included 3x30 Xarelto 20mg (bill not itemised).

Years ago I was buying from Withoon Pharmacy in Saphan Kwai for around 3,500 a box of 30. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Any possibility of switching back to 'warfarin'? Much cheaper. There are also herbal considerations.

There is that option but I'm reluctant to do so, because it clashes with so many things, and this has caused me to spend several days in hospital in agony after I started to urinate blood. 

8 hours ago, gargamon said:

The gold standard for blood thinners is Eliquis(apixaban). Very little bleed risk compared to warfarin. There was a thread recently and I believe @Sheryl posted the generics available in Thailand.

Mail order would be the best source for price regardless of where you live in Thailand. Sources in the same thread. 

I read the results of a study conducted in Thailand on: Edoxaban, Apixaban, Dabigatran and Rivaxoaban compared to Wafarin. That study showed that in most cases Apixaban was comparable to Wafarin for serious side effects;  Rivaxoaban in most cases was the safest. Here is a link to that study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9961808/

Side effects are shown in Table 1 with GI Bleed and ICH being the 2 most serious by far; I will say Rivaxoaban slightly worse results for the prevention of DVT and PE (VTE) but I have an IVC filter so these aren't of too much concern. 

Edited by Patts
forgot to include results of VTE
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, brianburi said:

Ask your cardiologist on switching to Lixiana 60mg (Edoxaban).

I was on Rivaxoaban and in 2022 I went back to UK NHS hospital for treatment and they changed it to Lixiana.

I order it it from Medisafe in Bangkok and its 3100 Baht for 28 tablets. Best to use the Line app when ordering and its delivered to the house by Thai post office EMS.

On my last cardio appointment the Doc suggested cutting the tablet in half so to save myself some money!

I am on other meds for CHF and I purchase them all from Medisafe and I live up country in Phetchabun.

https://www.drugs.com/uk/lixiana.html

Edoxaban is certainly a cheaper option and is slightly better than Rivaxoaban at preventing DVT or PE but it comes with a far higher risk of GI Bleeds and Intracerebral hemorrhage so for that reason I'd prefer to stay on Rivaxoaban

2 hours ago, domdom said:

Hello

Name here is Xarelto. Exists in 10 and 20 mg.

I am under 20 mg for years. Purchased last week in Fascino 5139 bahts for 30 tablets (before was 28 per box).. a few years back price was close to 7000 for 28 tablets

Have a good day

Hi, I take Xarelto 20mg but  5000bht a month is a hell of price. I had to purchase some in the UK a couple of years ago and it was 8000bht (£163) than. I believe (hope)  the patent expires soon so hope there will be a cheaper generic option 

1 hour ago, PBob said:

Try a government hospital, I am being treated at Bhumipol (RTAF) hospital and my total drugs bill was 6,900 baht that included 3x30 Xarelto 20mg (bill not itemised).

Years ago I was buying from Withoon Pharmacy in Saphan Kwai for around 3,500 a box of 30. 

Wow that's a really good price! all the threads I have seen previously said it was between 4000-5000bht a box of 30 or 100-200bht per tablet depending on where it was purchased. 

6 minutes ago, Patts said:

I expect you been asked before but is it original? 

You can source original, but I buy generic. Rivasmart. See on Google. $82.50 for 350 tabs. No import/customs problems with my contact. YMMV.

I usually order all my meds at the same time, and for a mate. Saves on postage.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

You can source original, but I buy generic. Rivasmart. See on Google. $82.50 for 350 tabs. No import/customs problems with my contact. YMMV.

I usually order all my meds at the same time, and for a mate. Saves on postage.

Wow thanks, that's an amazing price! 

I'll have a look on google. What is the delivery time scale like?

13 minutes ago, Patts said:

Wow thanks, that's an amazing price! 

I'll have a look on google. What is the delivery time scale like?

Only suggested Google for reference. You'll need to shop on Indiamart. Postage is quite high. I added 350 tabs of Bisoprolol which is not expensive here, but just to make up the weight. All told, the p & p was $26. She has a Wise account and is on WhatsApp. She sends photos of all boxes, packaging, lot nos, expiry dates etc. It goes RMS, so registered with tracking number. Approximately 10 days to my post office at Chaiyapreuk.

I can supply her details on a pm if you like. She speaks, or types rather, good English. But with Indiamart, you will get a lot of replies if you type in what you're looking for. India is the world's pharmacy! Shop around. You might well find better.

Edited by bradiston
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Only suggested Google for reference. You'll need to shop on Indiamart. Postage is quite high. I added 350 tabs of Bisoprolol which is not expensive here, but just to make up the weight. All told, the p & p was $26. She has a Wise account and is on WhatsApp. She sends photos of all boxes, packaging, lot nos, expiry dates etc. It goes RMS, so registered with tracking number. Approximately 10 days to my post office at Chaiyapreuk.

What does she label the contents of the shipment? Any meds I've had shipped in that are marked as meds are grabbed and you have to present an import license or some pre-approval documents. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gargamon said:

What does she label the contents of the shipment? Any meds I've had shipped in that are marked as meds are grabbed and you have to present an import license or some pre-approval documents. 

Health supplements. To date not had a problem over maybe 3 years.

Edited by bradiston

17 hours ago, bradiston said:

Health supplements. To date not had a problem over maybe 3 years.

Thanks. I'll give them a try. I had problems with alldaychemist(s?) last year. Talked my way out of it but not something I'd like to do again. 

I see a cardiologist at the Queen Sirikit Heart Centre in Khon Kaen, (next to Srinigarind Hospital). About a month ago I  got 6 months' supply of Elequis (two tablets/day) and two other very cheap medications. These, together with an ECG and the doctors fee (in the brand new Premium Clinic on the top floor) came to B21,000. I haven't kept the itemised bill, but I reckon the Eliquis must be a little less than B3000 a month. Hope this is useful. 

• Thanks 1