Retirement homes Thailand

geisha

Hi all, my cousin who is 74 was asking me for details on retirement homes in Thailand. He has been there on holidays. He’s alone, and a retirement home costing at least 5000€ a month in EU , he’s been thinking about Thailand. So where should he start, area ( he has no idea but doesn’t want Phuket ) ? I’m not sure Chiang Mai is a good area for him taking into  consideration the burning season. That is the only one I’ve heard of.  Question, do they have inhouse medical help, are there nearby hospitals, are they not too secluded and do they take care of all the immigrantion work/ visas / extensions etc?? Any information very welcome , he is quite able now but of course who knows if in a year or so he would need more help. Thanks. 
( if anyone has personal experience it would be great) .

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Take a look at the coastal area of Hua Hin / Cha Am 

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Take a look at the coastal area of Hua Hin / Cha Am 

Thanks, I think that would suit him weather wise. I’ve lived there years ago and found it boring, but I think things have improved, more shops etc.

There are many in Chiang Mai where weather is cooler and costs are lower.

I suggest you watch the videos by Les, see below. He has visited several retirement homes. Les also does excellent videos on health insurance.

retirement homes YouTube.JPG

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Cha-am is very boring, but some people like places out of the way.

Hua hin has enough restaurants and bars without having too many.

Bar areas on soi 94 as well as soi 80 and bintabaht.

Live bands at ban khun por.

Two main shopping malls now, two villa market stores for some expat products.

There are a lot of retired expats.

Not difficult to try to get to know new friends.

There is a bangkok hospital here and a few others that are reported to be good. 

I have lived here in hua hin 2years now and like it very much compared to places like pattaya/ jomtien.

A much more relaxed place.

I agree with that. Hua Hin is better than Cha-am.

• Agree 2

The Jin is very good. I have visited along with the Golden Years group which he may also like to join as it provides enormously useful resources, talks and visits related to us oldies. They are a one stop shop for any advice like this for Thailand retirees. The place is in Nonthaburi - a bit far out of BKK but they have a bus to the nearest BTS. They also have medical services on site or an ambulance for serious cases.

https://www.jinwellbeing.com/

Check out Bangkok Golden Years Seniors https://www.meetup.com/bangkok-golden-years-seniors on Meetup

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, CecilM said:

Does he have health insurance? That could be a big (financial) obstacle, even if he finds a home here. 

No, not for abroad. Only in UK. He has a good pension though so I imagine he can afford it. Plus a beautiful UK house that he’s keeping. 

11 hours ago, Tom100 said:

There are many in Chiang Mai where weather is cooler and costs are lower.

I suggest you watch the videos by Les, see below. He has visited several retirement homes. Les also does excellent videos on health insurance.

retirement homes YouTube.JPG

What about the burning season though ? 

Why ask on a forum?

Thailand is a medical hub of hubs and there is certainly a website explaining all the ins and outs of medical care and retirement homes for the elderly foreigners. Visa extensions and insurance policies will be explained in great detail on such website.  

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, geisha said:

What about the burning season though ? 

The effects of the burning season in the North can be harsh in some years, fortunately, the worst of it doesn't last more than about 2 months, March and April are typically the worst. It can be very difficult to escape the burning season completely, anywhere in Thailand, unless you move to the islands. Coastal towns are generally less polluted than other parts of the country but even places such as Pattaya can suffer badly, Hua Hin to a lesser degree. Winds from the North, and West carry pollution from neighbouring countries, Myanmar, Shan State, Laos and China. Winds from the East carry pollution from Cambodia,  winds from the South carry pollution from Indonesia and Malaysia. We live in the North and run two large air purifiers in our home, for about two/three months per year, they are inexpensive to operate and cheap to buy. The rest of the year makes up for the relatively short time the burning season exists.

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

The effects of the burning season in the North can be harsh in some years, fortunately, the worst of it doesn't last more than about 2 months, March and April are typically the worst. It can be very difficult to escape the burning season completely, anywhere in Thailand, unless you move to the islands. Coastal towns are generally less polluted than other parts of the country but even places such as Pattaya can suffer badly, Hua Hin to a lesser degree. Winds from the North, and West carry pollution from neighbouring countries, Myanmar, Shan State, Laos and China. Winds from the East carry pollution from Cambodia,  winds from the South carry pollution from Indonesia and Malaysia. We live in the North and run two large air purifiers in our home, for about two/three months per year, they are inexpensive to operate and cheap to buy. The rest of the year makes up for the relatively short time the burning season exists.

I have lived in Pattaya for 18 years and can't say i have noticed any burning effects in March/April. Maybe a bit hazy on a few days but that is all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I have lived in Pattaya for 18 years and can't say i have noticed any burning effects in March/April. Maybe a bit hazy on a few days but that is all.

I'm going by reports last year from Pattaya residents and also the wind maps that show heavy pollution being blown in from the East in Cambodia. Also, we were in the area this time last year and I remember that whilst the area next to the shoreline was clear, inland about half a mile the skies were fairly dense. Hua Hin was similar, the beach area was clear but inland a short distance and the air was wretched.

15 hours ago, gargamon said:

Here's an older thread on this: 

And another, although lots of peanut gallery nonsense here: 

Hi, thanks for that . So far we have contacted 3 , we found one in Hua Hin, which is a good choice being cooler and lots of breeze , and it’s near town . He doesn’t want to be out in the sticks anywhere as he gets around very well. As it’s Sunday their offices are closed so awaiting replies. I thought he’d like the one near Pattaya too as plenty of choice for restaurants / entertainment, and I don’t mean girls , or boys for that matter. He’s very worldly wise having had a top job in South Africa etc in aviation, but on the ground. So he’s very open minded. It’s getting the right one that is important. 

• Like 1