Who has a business in Pattaya?

georgegeorgia

Without naming your business,who has a business here in Pattaya?

Do you own it more as something to do rather than massive profit?

Not everyone has a bar business to make money , of course if your breaking even it can be a hobby for someone retired and looking for company in terms of talking 

There was a bar like that in Soi Bukhao

But I'm not a people person I hate people 

I was listening to a German guy years ago who told me he rented a shop house for his German restaurant with a apartment on top free rent ,he said ,I make nothing but I get free rent 

It's not as easy as it sounds 

What business do you have or your partner ?

Edited by georgegeorgia

54 minutes ago, champers said:

I own a chain of dope emporiums and live in a very, very high-rise apartment. Looking at maybe downsizing.

So long as it isn't down-jumping, all is well!

A fellow I know had a couple of bars in Pattaya, told me they were B 3,000 a day to run before you could slip a few batts in your pocket. So if you make B 20 on a bottle of beer that means the first 150 beers don't make you any profit just cover expenses. Don't sound good to me.

2 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

A fellow I know had a couple of bars in Pattaya, told me they were B 3,000 a day to run before you could slip a few batts in your pocket. So if you make B 20 on a bottle of beer that means the first 150 beers don't make you any profit just cover expenses. Don't sound good to me.

That would be hard 

Even though some bars make millions of baht , there was a young guy in Soi 6 who had many many bars pre covid who was raking in the money 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I guess profit , he had so many businesses , young ,wealthy ,fit 

I think he even owns the muay Thai gym.

A very nice guy 

I think it clear who you mean.

He has had his worries, particularly during Covid..... and some other issues. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/25/2024 at 6:00 AM, SGD said:

I used to have many businesses in Thailand, mostly in and around Pattaya ranging from bars to restaurants to a hotel and later student accommodation and laundry.

Let me tell you about how the economics have moved against everyone inthe small business sector.

You could, even as late as say 2000, maybe even 2004/5, buy a bar which could give you a return of 200% to 400% per year.

Now you would be lucky to get 25% per year outside massive investment (and the associated risk).

It made absolute sense before and makes zero sense now.

We had exactly the same as you including the hotel, I did own the land and property, however, in South Pattaya, and it was at that time a big investment.

I got out in 2005, and earned a very good sum, partly because it was freehold property and a profitable business.

Furthermore, I wouldn't do it again, and the niche market we catered for has gone.

There are too many at it now, chasing the same $$$.

We took a trip to Koh Chang a year or two ago, and I chatted with a few guys who were doing bars and restaurants as a lifestyle choice, or their wives had relocated back to Thailand, and they wanted something to do.

That didn't appeal to me, using high season profits to cover low season deficits. It just reminded me of the hamster on the wheel.

Now, I am building new houses in the UK where I can find a plot of land or buying run down properties, refurbishing and flipping them.

Very little contact with the public and no cash tills and drawers to constantly watch.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/25/2024 at 4:03 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Without naming your business,who has a business here in Pattaya?

Do you own it more as something to do rather than massive profit?

Not everyone has a bar business to make money , of course if your breaking even it can be a hobby for someone retired and looking for company in terms of talking 

There was a bar like that in Soi Bukhao

But I'm not a people person I hate people 

I was listening to a German guy years ago who told me he rented a shop house for his German restaurant with a apartment on top free rent ,he said ,I make nothing but I get free rent 

It's not as easy as it sounds 

What business do you have or your partner ?

None of your business!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

a small construction company. It's a steep and expensive learning curve.

We got this foreigner in our housing estate who buys up the older houses and renovates them, then selling them off. 

He's there 7 days a week, first thing he does is front fence with a tarpaulin extension to hide him from IO I'd say. 

Looks like hard work to me.

He organises the Thai contractors, I often see him working hard. 

Not sure where he lives, I've had a conversation with him asking where he lives, he says he's been living in our village for 20 years in the next row of houses. I've been living there for 20 years, never seen him before. 🤔

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

21 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

That would be hard 

Even though some bars make millions of baht , there was a young guy in Soi 6 who had many many bars pre covid who was raking in the money 

didn't he come unstuck selling underage flange outta one of his bars... stitched up the manager and cashier ?

• Confused 2

On 2/26/2024 at 7:19 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Owning a bar you rake in a lot of money, but you have high costs, rent, salary, electricity, alcohol purchases, police, you also have cashiers skimming the till, at the end of the day, very little or no profit 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/27/2024 at 5:06 AM, Ralf001 said:

didn't he come unstuck selling underage flange outta one of his bars... stitched up the manager and cashier ?

His wife ended up in prison.

46 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I would also hazard a guess the best business are market stalls 

Or street food , I would love to sell street food .

It depends what you mean by "best". If you define a good job as one that will enable you to drive around in a BMW and have multiple holidays per year (after having pugged enough away to secure your financial freedom in retirement, of course) then no, running a market stall is definitely not the "best" business.

If you mean it might occupy some time in the last few years of your life, leaving you with less time to sit around doing nothing whilst still having the freedom to choose to not bother opening up shop when you don't feel like it (or maybe when you just have something better to do) then, I dunno, maybe it's a "good" job. Personally I don't fancy the idea of sitting around in the baking heat for 14 hours a day just to make a few hundred baht.

Of course it's mostly irrelevant - as running a market stall is a protected occupation that neither you or I can do, anyway.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 5:57 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

We got this foreigner in our housing estate who buys up the older houses and renovates them, then selling them off. 

He's there 7 days a week, first thing he does is front fence with a tarpaulin extension to hide him from IO I'd say. 

Looks like hard work to me.

He organises the Thai contractors, I often see him working hard. 

Not sure where he lives, I've had a conversation with him asking where he lives, he says he's been living in our village for 20 years in the next row of houses. I've been living there for 20 years, never seen him before. 🤔

Not me unfortunately. This idea sounds a lot smarter than what I’ve undertaken 😂

On 2/28/2024 at 4:11 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Owning a bar you rake in a lot of money, but you have high costs, rent, salary, electricity, alcohol purchases, police, you also have cashiers skimming the till, at the end of the day, very little or no profit 

Skimming the till, this cashier shot through with 200k baht. 

Soi 7, Pattaya. 

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/5QuMr5qGbERjuRGj/?mibextid=oFDknk