Which 4 seater 4x4 auto truck to buy ? (can be 2 door +2 or 4 door)

SGD

Isuzu ?
Toyota ?
Mitsubishi ?
Ford ?

My somewhat old fashioned thoughts are a nice big engine and you'll be ok. There are two 12+ year old 3.0L auto Isuzus in the family bought from new so they have been good workhorses and we'd like the next one to work for 10-15 years too on limited miles per year.

I've hit all the websites and many don't outwardly say which are 4x4 or not so I need help.

Don't need finance, just a cash purchase.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

If you can hold out another 12 months.

The "all new" hilux will be available, it is "allegedly" heavily based on the North American Toyota Tacoma.

I could hold out until maybe August or September (difficult) but I really need one by May / June

Can rarely go wrong with Toyota. I had one or two in my garage for the past 20 years. I still have a Ford that I want to ditch, it is a crappy build, and no one wants to buy it, even after I have put a recon engine in (after 87,000 kms).

I would suggest Toyota for reliability and their extensive dealer network.

I previously had two Toyota Hilux Smart Cabs (two door) but if I bought another one, for sheer convenience and versatility, I would buy a four-door model.

Though, Govt tax on four door models is 14% compared to 3% for Smart Cabs.

• Thumbs Up 1

We have a Ford Ranger XLT 2x4 since 2018. Great truck with 2L diesel and 10-speed auto transmission. Made in Thailand and no problems. We selected the Ford over the Toyota for less plastic use in interior and positive reports by two friends with Rangers. Love the comfort of 4 doors and the flexibility of the pick-up bed.

• Like 1

Agree on the 4 wheel drive statement. I have a 2 wheel drive and a 4 wheel drive which we use on the farm.

A good set of tyres makes the 2 wheel drive perform better than the 4 wheel drive on the cheap tyres my BIL bought.

Even for daily farm use rarely is 4 wheel drive required.

39 minutes ago, F Groenen said:

We have a Ford Ranger XLT 2x4 since 2018. Great truck with 2L diesel and 10-speed auto transmission. Made in Thailand and no problems. We selected the Ford over the Toyota for less plastic use in interior and positive reports by two friends with Rangers. Love the comfort of 4 doors and the flexibility of the pick-up bed.

4 years old is still a baby in terms of reliability, barely out of warranty. There are 12 - 20 year old Toyotas and isuzus still running around pretty reliably. Have a 10 year old Isuzu with 200k ,few issues, nothing major. But crucially always serviced regularly at main dealer. 

Don't buy 4 wheel drive unless absolutely necessary. Worse fuel consumption and ride and another thing to go wrong.

I just purchased the Nissan Calibre only had a month but really like it. My Nissan dealer in Udon Thani threw in lot's of extras. I had the cash but when dealership offered 4 years at 0% interest, I said why not. I can use the cash for other things.... 2.3L diesel has plenty of power, I opted for the automatic 2 WD 4 door model. Bangkok factory called back to say my color was not available but offered me the upgraded Black Edition model for only 5000 baht more in my color, a savings of 30,000 baht and the BE came with nice rims and 18" tires. Overall it was a pleasent purchase experience.

Edited by Soondae

There's a very good reason why 20+ year old Toyota Sport Cruisers are still fetching 200k+.

However, I would stay away from a 4x4 of any flavour unless you really need it. Less MPG and more parts to fix/replace in the future.

Edited by MangoKorat

I will be purchasing a new pickup in April/May so am following this thread with interest. I was going to pony up for a Ford Ranger Stormtrack 4x4 but after reading the comments this spec seems unnecessary so a Wildtrack 4x2 is now at the top of the list. 

I really wanted to consider a Toyota but the tech / interior is currently very dated. 

• Agree 1

Since I've been in Thailand, I've had two Toyotas (a pick-up and a Fortuner) and four Isuzu pickups. I'm driving a Toyota now, but do not think you can go far wrong with either.

All were good units with not problems. I like the Isuzu better and think it's the better value and it's on a newer platform. Almost (I think) 10% cheaper than the Toyota and the service is about 50% cheaper and no up-selling. 

I've a number of Fords in my life including two pickups. One was 20 years old when I sold it, and the other was 30 years old when it got stolen. They were both great, but I did have to put a clutch in both as well and brakes and whatnot. 

Unless you're really out in the sticks, I would not get the 4 X 4. Costs more to buy, more parts, and costs more to service. I had one for four years & 200,000km when I lived out in the province and loved it, but I only ever used the 4WD once, and that was just to try it.  Had two Highlanders after that. 

If you don't need the 4 doors, don't get it. Costs a good bit more and the bed is much smaller. That said, the two-doors only really have two seats. 

Go and look at them and drive them. Buy what you like. 

1 hour ago, Patts said:

I will be purchasing a new pickup in April/May so am following this thread with interest. I was going to pony up for a Ford Ranger Stormtrack 4x4 but after reading the comments this spec seems unnecessary so a Wildtrack 4x2 is now at the top of the list. 

I really wanted to consider a Toyota but the tech / interior is currently very dated. 

The Fords are good looking, I'm sure you'll love it. My neighbor has one for about five years and he still loves it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/25/2024 at 4:47 AM, SGD said:

Isuzu ?
Toyota ?
Mitsubishi ?
Ford ?

My somewhat old fashioned thoughts are a nice big engine and you'll be ok. There are two 12+ year old 3.0L auto Isuzus in the family bought from new so they have been good workhorses and we'd like the next one to work for 10-15 years too on limited miles per year.

I've hit all the websites and many don't outwardly say which are 4x4 or not so I need help.

Don't need finance, just a cash purchase.

Thanks

This is an easy question. I have had three Isuzus in the last 20 years all being 4x4, 3 litre desile. I bought my last one 14 months ago, the tech on the car is amazing. If you do a u turn but not see th car coming towards you & you go to go, it slams your brakes on. I also use a uk radio station app on my phone, pair it with the car entertainment system & listen to radio caroline (blues) which is more soft rock, amazing. Lights & wipers coming on automaticly. More brake horsepower than previous models. 1,100,000b

Just now, helloagain said:

This is an easy question. I have had three Isuzus in the last 20 years all being 4x4, 3 litre desile. I bought my last one 14 months ago, the tech on the car is amazing. If you do a u turn but not see th car coming towards you & you go to go, it slams your brakes on. I also use a uk radio station app on my phone, pair it with the car entertainment system & listen to radio caroline (blues) which is more soft rock, amazing. Lights & wipers coming on automaticly. More brake horsepower than previous models. 1,100,000b

I forgot to say, my first one I gave to my brother-in-law & now its done 300,000 klms and 20y old. my 2nd the dealer almost bit my arm off & bought it straight away, (a 2nd hand car place). Isuzu are the most popular pickup to buy, service on phuket is great, free tea/coffee cake.

• Like 1

Just now, helloagain said:

I really liked the ergonomics of my last 3L Highlander better than my 2.8L Fortuner, and I was disappointed in the tuna's power after the Highlander, but I love the seats and interior of the Fortuner and I think it drives a bit better. 

I also liked the GUI and OS of the Garmin based navigation in the Isuzu, and the map updates were cheap and easy. 

• Like 1

We bought an Everest 3.2Ltr Titanium Plus 4by4, top of the range model in late 2015 it’s been very reliable..only problems we have had were crankshaft sensor failed and rear main oil seal leaked. These were fixed by Ford under warranty. Car always serviced by Ford main Dealer and only 58K kms.

So I would certainly recommend an Everest

Intention was to keep this car long term, but were tempted by something else so vehicle now surplus to requirements and will reluctantly sell it in the near future.

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for all the comments.

In the end it is the Isuzu V Cross 4x4 auto which is being purchased.

Retail is Bt1,257,000 and there is about 30k off this and a few freebies like liners, internal wheel arch protection, tank of fuel, 5 years servicing.

Not a massive deal but it is a decent interior, will last 10+ years and still have a decent residual value.

3.0 Ddi M 4-door A/T : namibu-orange-mica3.0 Ddi M 4-door A/T : namibu-orange-mica

• Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 10:15 AM, Soondae said:

I just purchased the Nissan Calibre only had a month but really like it. My Nissan dealer in Udon Thani threw in lot's of extras. I had the cash but when dealership offered 4 years at 0% interest, I said why not. I can use the cash for other things.... 2.3L diesel has plenty of power, I opted for the automatic 2 WD 4 door model. Bangkok factory called back to say my color was not available but offered me the upgraded Black Edition model for only 5000 baht more in my color, a savings of 30,000 baht and the BE came with nice rims and 18" tires. Overall it was a pleasent purchase experience.

I like the Nissans.

Will be buying a new Navara next year which is based on the new Triton.

On 3/10/2024 at 7:43 AM, SGD said:

Retail is Bt1,257,000 and there is about 30k off this and a few freebies like liners, internal wheel arch protection, tank of fuel, 5 years servicing.

Not a massive deal but it is a decent interior, will last 10+ years and still have a decent residual value.

3.0 Ddi M 4-door A/T : namibu-orange-mica3.0 Ddi M 4-door A/T : namibu-orange-mica

Can’t really go wrong with Isuzu. 

Nice color!

On 3/10/2024 at 1:43 AM, SGD said:

Looks good, didnt see this tread before I posted mine. Isuzu is absolutely good bang for the money.