Class 1 insurance for older cars (Benz)

I am retiring to Thailand and will buy a used Mercedes Benz. Probably 2002 - 2008 model C Class. My query is will I be able to get class 1 insurance (fully comprehensive covering my car and the other car regardless of who is at fault). I believe Thai insurance companies are reticent to insure cars over 10 years old. Is this so?

• 3 weeks later...

Once cars get older than about 7 years, its difficult to get 1st Class insurance on them.

That said, its not impossible, shop around, but we aware of the restrictions (i.e. some insurance companies offering 1st class insurance on older cars may only honour repairs at specific garages etc).

The best option is to go through a broker - they'll likely come back with some options.

The other point is: The value of a 2002-2008 C-Class Merc is about 150,000 to 300,000 baht.

Is 1st class insurance something you need on it ??? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/14/2024 at 5:50 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Once cars get older than about 7 years, its difficult to get 1st Class insurance on them.

Who told you that Dicky?

Not in my experience it's not.

On 3/14/2024 at 4:50 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The other point is: The value of a 2002-2008 C-Class Merc is about 150,000 to 300,000 baht.

The car I am looking at is a W203 C32 AMG - about THB 700,000

5 hours ago, wozzlegummich said:
On 3/14/2024 at 12:50 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The car I am looking at is a W203 C32 AMG - about THB 700,000

In that case, I can understand why you'd want 1st class insurance... 

I've used the same insurance broker for about 15 years... Always reliable and provides a range of options. 

We just renewed our insurance, she did the taxi, Por-ror-bor and 1st Class insurance in one sweep and she'll remind us each year as the renewal time approaches. 

Once you get your car - PM me and I can forward her contact details. 

Her English isn't great and my Wife deals with her all the time now, but I used to deal with her years ago and she was very helpful. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2024 at 2:27 PM, PJ71 said:

Who told you that Dicky?

Not in my experience it's not.

It can be. We were told that once our (new) car was 7 years old, we would no longer be able to get First Class. So we changed insurance, and the car is now 11 years old, despite having been to the garage for dents four times (dogs and one somnolent motorcyclist).