Hungary's parliament clears path for Sweden's Nato membership

webfact

31 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

I cannot understand the obstruction from Hungarian side ...to please Putin?   I remember 1956 when the Soviet tanks devasted Hungary and I got in my class in (last year of primary school) 2 boys who were refugees whose parents escaped.

- Russian oil and gas;

- Orban trying to be important on the international scene,

- possibly corruption too.

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Purdey said:

That it is a totally insincere statement. Sorry if you didn't understand. 

I assume that you meant to direct your post to someone else as I don't see what my sincerety (or lack of) has to do with things?

So, for ease of reference, I'll repeat my original question: What point are you trying to make in stating, 'It sounds very fatalistic to say they will die for each other, doesn’t it?' when commenting on the news that Hungary's parliament has cleared the way for Sweden's ascension to NATO?

I don't think that I am alone in being confused.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Sweden in NATO, Hungary in isolation

14 hours ago

Hungary's parliament has finally voted to ratify Sweden's bid to join NATO after more than 18 months of stalling. The delay highlights how much Viktor Orban has politically isolated his country.

(...) What Orban was trying to gloss over with his cordial, diplomatic phrases was the most embarrassing foreign policy episode of his 14-year rule so far: Hungary held out against Sweden's NATO membership for a year and a half, even though it is not really clear what Orban hoped to achieve in doing so. (...)

https://www.dw.com/en/how-hungarys-delay-tactics-regarding-swedens-nato-bid-have-isolated-the-country-politically/a-68389844

• Agree 1